Griz53_imp said:
recently acquired my 2013 CB1100 and trying to make it fit my 70 year old body---I have made the "forward controls" and after a ride today they are GREAT ! BUT i need some higher bars along with hoses etc to adapt them, not apes but maybe 6 in higher than stock AND a more rearward fitting seat to move my butt back----AND Im 6-3 with long not so bending legs. Was playing around with seating as I rode today and think these modes would do it. Never ride 2 up so thats not a problem (hard to find a lil darling that wants to ride with a 70 year old geezer LOL ) If u got suggestions Im all ears !
Once they get past 70, I would think the lil darlings' eyesight begins to diminish...maybe give it a few more years and you'll have them on no problem?
:beerchug:
But, likely you wanted suggestions regarding the ergos.
Griz53_imp said:
recently acquired my 2013 CB1100 and trying to make it fit my 70 year old body---I have made the "forward controls" and after a ride today they are GREAT ! BUT i need some higher bars along with hoses etc to adapt them, not apes but maybe 6 in higher than stock AND a more rearward fitting seat to move my butt back----AND Im 6-3 with long not so bending legs. Was playing around with seating as I rode today and think these modes would do it. Never ride 2 up so thats not a problem (hard to find a lil darling that wants to ride with a 70 year old geezer LOL ) If u got suggestions Im all ears !
6 inch higher bars? At the risk of sounding condescending, isn't that a substantial rise? I'm wondering if you might try to find a solution in incremental steps to see how your body responds. Higher bars, new cables (hoses too?) sounds like a fair amount of work. Maybe you've already tried, but perhaps handlebar risers, 1.5"-2"? I have a set of SW Motech "barback" that I tried on my '14 standard--didn't need to use new cables, just enough room, and I found that they changed the feel substantially. The type I have moves the bars up and back giving a more relaxed feel. I was happy with them, but sold that bike, but took off the risers prior to selling. I bought a '17ex and decided to not use the risers and I'm ok without. That might be because of the following...
I'm 6'4" and leg inseam is 34" (average for my height). When I first started riding my '14 starndard, I would get slight knee ache and feel tightness in the hips. I started doing about 15 minutes of stretches / exercises designed to help with hip flexibility, maybe 5x per week. I was skeptical at first about whether it would help, but seriously, 30 days later, the hip and knee tightness disappeared. At the same time I raised the seat height about 1.5" by using strapped on bleacher pads--didn't want to pay lots of $$$ for a new seat when I wasn't sure it would help.
You've already sorted out the foot pegs, maybe stretching, playing with seat height, handle bar risers could be enough before going more aggressive with new bars, cables, etc.
Before all that I was thinking I wouldn't be able to keep my CB long term because of the poor fit for me. Now it's all good, can ride all day and do mult-day trips--boss says I have less grey hair.
I hope you find a solution.