Turn Signal Swap - Blown Fuses

grover_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hey guys,

I just swapped my rear turn signals for the Lockhart Philips ones. I tested everything before soldering, but once I got everything back together none of the signals are working and the fuse is apparently blown (along with the starter fuse).

I'm assuming I screwed up and reversed my wires somewhere. Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

grover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Not sure what bulb the Lockhart uses for the front blinker but honda does not use the 1157 up front for running lights and blinkers they use the single 1156 bulb which goes to a control box which makes them burn as running lights! If your new Lockhart has 3 wires for the front not the right type bulb.
 
Thread starter
I bought a set of single filament (2 wire, rears) and a set of dual filament (3 wire, front), but only installed the rears


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I just did the same swap on my bike. I blew a couple fuses too, but mine happened when a bare wire touched ground.
 
Thread starter
Damn!! I'm messing with this again today. I found that 1 side in particular was blowing the turn signal fuse, so I snipped that splice, twisted the same pair of wires together and re-tried- all good. So I re solder the splice, test both connections- all good. So then I assemble everything, route the wires through the harness, test and BLOWN FUSE!!

I'm confused and frustrated at this point. Is it possible that in routing the wires, I broke one of the connections? Would that causes blown fuses?

Any recommendations wiring experts?

grover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
If your connections are tight and insulated; I'd look to make sure you have the wiring connected as follows.

Left, Orange wire = 12v
Green = ground

Right, Light Blue wire = 12v
Green = ground

I'm guessing one side is correct, while the other is backwards. Each time the turn signal is enabled, the 12v feed goes to ground, causing the short.

Good luck, let us what you find.
 
How many wires are on your new front turn signals? 2 or 3. Is the front new blinkers 1157 bulbs or 1156 bulbs?
What blows a fuse is when you have a voltage wire going to a ground. If you have a voltage wire touching another voltage wire it's a short! But a short should not blow a fuse.
 
A short most definitely would blow a fuse.
 
If it's shorted to a ground yes would blow a fuse if it's shorted to another voltage wire no it would not blow a fuse it would cause whatever it was shorted too to come on maybe dim if it's another light etc
A ground is when a voltage wire touchs ground blows fuse. A short is when 2 voltage wires touch. It just depends on how you say it.
The cb1100 is not wired like the old cb750 as far as blinkers! The older honda bikes used a 1157 bulb up front so when the key was on the both front blinkers would burn as running lights using one element of the bulb. When the blinker was turned on the other side of bulb would light up and blink due to a signalstat the new cb1100 does not use 1157 bulbs ( double element bulbs) it uses a 1156 ( single element ) same as the rear blinker. The blinker wires run thru a control unit which turns on the single bulb for running lights. Then when blinker is turned on the controller makes it blink. I don't know if his bike when turned on if his running lights are coming on or if it's blowing a fuse with just the key on blinkers off!
 
Thread starter
Razor,

Thanks for your help. I have the rears wired as you're showing above, but seeing as though I've been able to successfully test their function prior to mounting, I'm thinking I've caused a short in the mounting process.

The OEM signals have a black rubber spacer between the light body and the grab rail, whereas the LP's have no insulation and bolt directly the the grab rail and frame with only a SS washer. Could it cause a short by being grounded via the (green/black) ground wire in addition to grounding to the frame? With this in mind I tried snipping the ground wires while keeping the lights grounded to the body, this also resulted in a short/blown fuse. :/

Thank you for your time!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Just some more info. I was wiring on my 2014 Dlx yesterday installing aux LED lighting. I found there is a flaw in my bikes wiring for the rear turn signals. The lt blue and orange wires are the ground wires and the ground wires are actually the power wires. Completely opposite my 2013 std. Took me hours of trouble shooting and I double checked the wiring diagram. Thank you very much Honda for piss poor QAQC. I sweated in the Texas heat checking everything until the improbable became the probable.
 
Thread starter
Ridem32_imp said:
If it's shorted to a ground yes would blow a fuse if it's shorted to another voltage wire no it would not blow a fuse it would cause whatever it was shorted too to come on maybe dim if it's another light etc
A ground is when a voltage wire touchs ground blows fuse. A short is when 2 voltage wires touch. It just depends on how you say it.
The cb1100 is not wired like the old cb750 as far as blinkers! The older honda bikes used a 1157 bulb up front so when the key was on the both front blinkers would burn as running lights using one element of the bulb. When the blinker was turned on the other side of bulb would light up and blink due to a signalstat the new cb1100 does not use 1157 bulbs ( double element bulbs) it uses a 1156 ( single element ) same as the rear blinker. The blinker wires run thru a control unit which turns on the single bulb for running lights. Then when blinker is turned on the controller makes it blink. I don't know if his bike when turned on if his running lights are coming on or if it's blowing a fuse with just the key on blinkers off!
Hey ridem,

At this point in just messing with the rears where I'm using the single filament (2 wire) LP turn signals.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
When you turn on key does your front running lights come on? Does it blow fuse when you turn on right or left blinker? Or either?
 
Thread starter
Front running lights aren't on initially, but when I push the signal there's an audible little snap when the fuse pops...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
You have a 12 volt wire touching ground or you might have hooked up wires wrong and fired your turn signal control box. I sent you a PM with my phone #. You can call if you want and walk me thru each step you did.
 
I put those same signals on my bike and had the same problem. You can reverse wire one of them and they will still work when not bolted to the bike. But because they have metal housings the reversed one will blow the fuse once it's bolted on and you turn it on. You may also have a pinched wire that is grounding out when you assemble everything. I would guess you have one reverse wired and you think it's ok because it works when not bolted on.

Cheers.

Chip
 
Sounds like Ridem & Chip have you going in the right direction. Curious to know what you find. Thanks
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
I put those same signals on my bike and had the same problem. You can reverse wire one of them and they will still work when not bolted to the bike. But because they have metal housings the reversed one will blow the fuse once it's bolted on and you turn it on. You may also have a pinched wire that is grounding out when you assemble everything. I would guess you have one reverse wired and you think it's ok because it works when not bolted on.

Cheers.

Chip
Yep, that sounds about right. I'll take another look and report back.

Thanks for the help guys!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but i am having this issue on mine. What i found in the headlight is that the front blinkers are a three wire, Red, Black, and Black with a white stripe. The red is connected to the bikes blue/white wire and the Black/white is connected to the bikes green wire but the solid black is not connected to anything? Not sure the brand of these blinkers as they where on there when i bought it. Any ideas???
 
Razor_imp said:
If your connections are tight and insulated; I'd look to make sure you have the wiring connected as follows.

Left, Orange wire = 12v
Green = ground

Right, Light Blue wire = 12v
Green = ground

I'm guessing one side is correct, while the other is backwards. Each time the turn signal is enabled, the 12v feed goes to ground, causing the short.

Good luck, let us what you find.
Elipten_imp said:
Just some more info. I was wiring on my 2014 Dlx yesterday installing aux LED lighting. I found there is a flaw in my bikes wiring for the rear turn signals. The lt blue and orange wires are the ground wires and the ground wires are actually the power wires. Completely opposite my 2013 std. Took me hours of trouble shooting and I double checked the wiring diagram. Thank you very much Honda for piss poor QAQC. I sweated in the Texas heat checking everything until the improbable became the probable.
I ran into the same issue when wiring some motoGadget M-blaze LED's on my 2014 standard; the wiring in the rear was reversed (greens were hot, blue/orange were ground), but up front the greens were ground. Glad I had seen these posts prior to pulling things apart.
 
Back
Top