Turd on the Run

Houtman_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Wade'a second? Didn't we try this before with right (or left?) arms? ... or was it a limb?
I'd give my right arm to know that... ;)
I'd give my right arm to know that... ;)
After the Brexit mess all deals are off for me and Great Britain .
I'd give my right arm to know that... ;)
After the Brexit mess all deals are off for me and Great Britain .
Me too...
Oops, just realised that I LIVE here!! :(
 
Thread starter
Getting things back on track here....

Left Lake Granby the next morning and headed north towards Casper, WY. My dad and uncle were born and raised there, uncle has been there his whole life and recently retired. The last time we saw each other was probably 20+ years ago so a visit was long overdue. Rode north through Walden, the CO-WY border, into Laramie. I was told that this is THE college town of the state, coulda fooled me. Wyoming is a whole 'nother place lemme tell ya. Grabbed some lunch there and continued on north. Things got reeeaaaal spread out from there.

57ac1fe51289d790eb5d5ad88f87b74e.jpg


b6328732b235ab6b57f3d0fbbdbcc8b9.jpg


That is Highway 77, a spur road off of 487. They had 487 completely closed due to an accident. 77 is closed in the winter apparently and I could certainly see why. NOTHING out there as far as you could see. No houses, ranches, nothing. One of those roads that makes you wonder why they even built it. It was really cool riding it and getting that big wide open feeling that one can only get out west.

Rest of the way to Casper was much more of the same. Lots of open countryside and antelope. Rolled into town very much on empty and met up with the aunt and uncle. Had a really good time catching up with them, I shoulda done it a long time ago. My uncle is very into woodworking, leather working, tool restoration etc and we had a great time looking through all his stuff. He's also got a museum sized collection of rare and unique knives, pistols, rifles, you name it. Was sad to say goodbye after two days but the all present tug of the road and forward movement drove me back out into the void.
 
Wyoming is great isn't it!? So much wide open space and high plains roads that a motorcycle rider can really stretch your wheels on. :thumbsup: :biker:
 
That landscape looks amazing, dbarkdoll. Not sure I'd want to ride in it al the time, but it's a great experience from time to time.
 
Thread starter
The Void is a good title for the next days ride. No pictures from that day, not much worth photographing. The scenery finally got a bit interesting as I got near the Wind River area approaching Dubois, this waterway is very appropriately named btw. Experienced probably the strongest head wind of the whole trip traveling west through the river valley. Stopped in Dubois and hung out for a bit checking out a few shops. It was getting time to start finding a place to camp so down a forest service road I went. Shoulda just kept to the road and looked for a campground but for whatever reason I decided to get out into the back country. Finally found a "spot" alongside the dirt road that was flat enough to pitch a tent and made camp. This was the most isolated camping I did the whole trip and I was in a very weird and vulnerable place mentally. No cell service and I desperately wanted to talk to my girlfriend so a rough night was had indeed. The low point of the trip hands down. Got stormed on for a minute, swore I was being watched by something the entire night, and froze my butt off overnight. Awoke to frost on the rainfly and got the heck out of there.
Next day went quite a bit smoother and I was a short ride from the Grand Tetons. A formidable sight to approach, no doubt.

fdd724667a35eabc0fda959ca640bb34.jpg


67ba9e685740341ef6659abc038a4eea.jpg


Really cool riding through the valley with the range right there the whole time, especially in picture perfect weather. Went into Jackson and hung out for a bit before deciding to make the pilgrimage to Melvin Brewing in Alpine, WY. This has been one of my favorite breweries for a long time and I reveled in the chance to visit it in person. The building and surrounding area did not disappoint.

0f68972ef82280dc2004f0b2fdd9d28c.jpg


Camped in a pretty great spot along the Snake River that night.
Headed back towards Jackson and the Tetons the next day en route to Yellowstone. No complaints riding back through the valley again, I do regret not taking the park road that loops towards Jenny Lake and Jackson Lake for a closer look at the mountains. Next time. To be fair I was in a bit a of a hurry to get to Yellowstone before it got super crowded and wanted to give myself as much time as possible there. Was able to get a nice shot of the range and lake on the way out however.

9b3abf1c07b90ad97beab8fc1e707463.jpg


Up next.....:banana:

ead500dfae4336dab4320ddd787e8c4f.jpg
 
Beautiful pics. I love mountains. Hey you lost your fender bag.
 
Hmmm who was it that had the fender bag then? Lll
 
Bflint.

I love mountains too, and they’re spectacular.
 
Daniel:

Your documentary and articulation is excellent. Feels real. Almost feels like we were there.

(Maybe that is who was watching you in The Void ... from futures past.)
 
and right you were sir. Thanks you. As I get oldr my mind seems...wait, what were we talking about?
 
Welcome to the forum, The ferret ... Oh, wait ...
 
Thread starter
My apologies for slacking off here, been a busy few weeks for me getting ready to move. Getting back on track here:

I rode into Yellowstone sometime around noon on Saturday fearful of large crowds and congestion. There were many people to contend with indeed but my spirits were high enough and the scenery was stunning enough to balance things out. The park is so huge and everything so spread out that there's plenty of time and space between landmarks to clear the mind and get into a good flow. Rode alongside Yellowstone Lake for quite a while which was nice and scenic. I took several videos of a few geothermal springs but not gonna mess with posting them here. The smell was something to be experienced in person for sure!! ;) Had my first close encounter with a bison leaving the hot spring parking lot which was quite memorable. An adult bull was sauntering down the road like a big hairy bus, not a care in the world. I felt quite nervous riding alongside it within arms reach, one flick of its head and I'd be tossed into the ditch. :-/

Stopped at the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone for a walk around and some pics at Artist Point. So gorgeous.

4f75ec7283976cc5a5bb46839fa474d0.jpg


1d2cf978cb66fa30507c382966299cab.jpg


One could easily spend a whole day just exploring the canyon on both sides but I knew this would be an abridged trip to the park and kept moving towards the northeast entrance. Things got quite interesting and breathtaking here as the road made its way up and over a mountain pass and the elevation started climbing. Heavy traffic prevented any spirited riding but the scenery made up for it. Just one shot from the other side of the pass:

6c581136357bec316c31037af4ab14af.jpg


The road then made its way towards and down into Lamar Valley which was stunningly beautiful. Hoards of wild bison could be seen spread out in the valley for miles and miles, must have been several thousand of them in parts. Makes one think about what the countryside used to look like before colonization and the disgraceful genocide of these incredible creatures.

a4c4e24cdd3baeed3fec2abedc7836dc.jpg


b7bea8734447887bffb463b4cd931149.jpg


Had several very close encounters with these huge beasts on the road, they really do not care one bit about cars or people being nearby. Rode so close to a bellowing bull (which sounds a lot like an amplified belch) that I could actually smell its breath which I will not soon forget. Totally wild experience.

It was getting around 5:00 so time to start thinking about camp again. I had been keeping my eye on the weather up ahead which finally broke open on my way out of the park and started coming down pretty good. Gave my rain gear its most proper test of the trip which I am happy to say it did great. My gloves would have probably been compromised after another 30-45 minutes of steady rain but they were cheap and they held up for about a solid hour of rain.

Rode out of the park via the North East entrance towards Black Bear Pass in search of camp. Was able to find a free National Forest site along the road east of Cooke City. I quickly nabbed it because it was the only available spot I had seen all day. Passed several campgrounds on the way to it that did not allow tent camping which I found quite peculiar but found out why later that evening on my trip back into town to grab some dinner. I talked to a few people in town about my trip and where I was camping for the night and everyone gave me the same nervous reaction. Apparently someone was killed by a bear in one of the campgrounds nearby a few years ago which is why they no longer allow tents there.

Needless to say I was quite uneasy about my campsite now but the cheapest lodging in the area was prohibitively expensive and I really had no other options. I did stop in a nearby small motel to ask their opinion on the matter and the woman there put my mind at ease. Told me there had been no bear sightings in the area for a long time and the mauling years ago was the result of poor camp housekeeping. I was still quite on edge that night and tied any and everything with any sort of odor to it farrrr away from my camp. No problems that night whatsoever. :angel:
 
^^^ +1

Hope the move is going well, dbarkdoll.
 
Back
Top