Turd on the Run

dbarkdoll_imp said:
So Imgur has just made it very difficult to copy photos to here so unless I find a different photo hosting site I probably won’t be posting many pics on here. And for the sake of simplicity of just having one RR on one forum I will probably just leave a link for my other one here and whoever is welcome to follow along there. I’ve always found posting photos and using this site on my phone to be very clunky as well, unfortunately. I’m not going anywhere just letting y’all know that I’ll very likely be posting more stuff on this thread:


Turd on the Run
I havent been able to get into my imgur photo file for about a week now.
 
hmmm I just tried again, had to re-sign in which I thought was strange, and everything is back to normal.
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
dbarkdoll_imp said:
So Imgur has just made it very difficult to copy photos to here so unless I find a different photo hosting site I probably won’t be posting many pics on here. And for the sake of simplicity of just having one RR on one forum I will probably just leave a link for my other one here and whoever is welcome to follow along there. I’ve always found posting photos and using this site on my phone to be very clunky as well, unfortunately. I’m not going anywhere just letting y’all know that I’ll very likely be posting more stuff on this thread:


Turd on the Run
Interesting...from your phone / computer or both? I've never had any difficulty with Imgur uploading to this site.

dbarkdoll_imp said:
So Imgur has just made it very difficult to copy photos to here so unless I find a different photo hosting site I probably won’t be posting many pics on here. And for the sake of simplicity of just having one RR on one forum I will probably just leave a link for my other one here and whoever is welcome to follow along there. I’ve always found posting photos and using this site on my phone to be very clunky as well, unfortunately. I’m not going anywhere just letting y’all know that I’ll very likely be posting more stuff on this thread:


Turd on the Run
It is fun to post cb1100 trips on advrider because the audience is different. For cb forum members, should we comment / ask questions at advrider or here?
Interesting...from your phone / computer or both? I've never had any difficulty with Imgur uploading to this site.

dbarkdoll_imp said:
So Imgur has just made it very difficult to copy photos to here so unless I find a different photo hosting site I probably won’t be posting many pics on here. And for the sake of simplicity of just having one RR on one forum I will probably just leave a link for my other one here and whoever is welcome to follow along there. I’ve always found posting photos and using this site on my phone to be very clunky as well, unfortunately. I’m not going anywhere just letting y’all know that I’ll very likely be posting more stuff on this thread:


Turd on the Run
It is fun to post cb1100 trips on advrider because the audience is different. For cb forum members, should we comment / ask questions at advrider or here?
Feel free to comment wherever and I will do my best to reply. I’m already feeling the strain of trying to chronicle this trip in real time though. Might give up on the whole thing and do afterwards, who knows though.
 
If you're going to do it all afterwards, make the occasional note. I compose the most brilliant ride reports in my head as I ride along and they're all forgotten when I get home.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
If you're going to do it all afterwards, make the occasional note. I compose the most brilliant ride reports in my head as I ride along and they're all forgotten when I get home.
Sounds like a reason for a "smart helmet".

"Okay Google: Note this ... "

"I am sorry, I did not understand that. Try again later."

I guess Google can't translate helmet wind noise. :-/
 
Thread starter
Hey y’all. I made it back home yesterday safe and sound. Sorry for completely neglecting this thread. I will start posting some pictures and words in the next few days. 4 weeks on the road and 6,000+ miles worth...
 
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Hey y’all. I made it back home yesterday safe and sound. Sorry for completely neglecting this thread. I will start posting some pictures and words in the next few days. 4 weeks on the road and 6,000+ miles worth...
Glad to hear it! Please do the post ride report. Sometimes taking the time to reflect and remember after it's all done can produce some interesting insight.
 
I’ll also look forward to the report and pictures. Probably bodes we’ll that you didn’t write it on the road. Must have been having fun!
 
Thread starter
So here we go...!!

Me leaving my sisters place in Taos Monday, August 5th.

aadeaf28758418b5eee2c27738516bb8.jpg


The night before was a bit stressful. We were hanging out in the house when all of a sudden her roommate yelled,"Holy s#!t, your bike fell over!"

My heart sank. Hadn't even started yet and the whole thing could be ruined. I was real worried that the clutch lever was snapped in two which would have postponed leaving substantially. We got it upright though and to my absolute surprise, the only scratch on the bike was on the left mirror. I had parked it in the gravel underneath their carport and it rained pretty much all night. I guess most of the runoff from the roof went right towards where the bike was parked and turned the ground to mush. Kickstand sank right into it. But, everything seemed to be fine so I was beyond relieved.

Headed out towards Colorado for the start of everything. Couldn't have asked for better weather.

709cb6364ced6862ca206443b971c5d2.jpg


Rode through Chama NM, ate some lunch there. Really cool place, home of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad.

Made it across the state line shortly after, Was feeling really really good.

38c5a0ab9aac2f52d800c38698188570.jpg


Rode around the Conejos Valley area, so stunning. Elevation was starting to climb here.

5ec391446724751768c7ed58eb56c9ac.jpg


f9eccefbdecb7ad80b49a7a4ce2b5fb4.jpg


Rode through Pagosa Springs, CO for a beer and short hangout. Was getting time to start searching for camp which wound up being a National Forest campground near Chimney Rock Monument. Couldn't have asked for a better first day!

8e00d9011a0d53aa1e18e3b7a8e6e11d.jpg

Day 2 I headed out towards Durango, CO. Didn't have a real plan other than I wanted to end up in Fort Collins by Saturday, plenty of time to wander around the western slope. Met two bikers at a gas station, one was on a gorgeous Suzuki GS with a nice paint matched Windjammer and some luggage. I told them I was thinking about heading towards Mesa Verde National Park, they said it's way too hot there right now. Asked if I had been up Highway 550 yet towards Silverton and Ouray, I said no. They highly recommended it and I was in the position to receive recommendations so off I went. What a phenomenal choice, was very glad I ran into them. Later found out 550 is The Million Dollar Highway, which I had heard of but didn't put 2 and 2 together til I was on it. Should be on every motorcyclists bucket list for sure.

This is south of Silverton I believe. Hard to remember for sure. It gets better.

6f228f5ba63b493f938037dd1be01454.jpg


55cd6a496fbe8f57f79ecba196ee892d.jpg


Molas Pass, 10,912 ft. Impossible to get it all in a photo. Truly stunning panoramic overlook.

9da29cc918f23b766abe4779a4e59c6f.jpg


1c64af765a9cad766e61b587e45dc1dc.jpg


cb05c0e457e3237e0938b7da9d5b5a9f.jpg


4436e998620690e4547c95357d18815d.jpg


Silverton, CO. 9,318 ft.

a781cd59bb165e35738de1068fa00bb0.jpg


2567b064c7dd8d0dbe6f3c1f55ab4f5e.jpg


72565f59e084e9e706a1c46c5551b2fe.jpg


57a98156c8be50b5ef792b18fcd9b2ee.jpg


e540c5cba8ba8d9891059d7f09d87b18.jpg


2c58b56bae7bf73cd27baec13ea7e483.jpg


Really cool place, hung out there for a bit, went to some shops, grabbed some lunch. Would go back in a heartbeat.
Highway 550 from Silverton to Ouray. This is the stretch that gave it it's name.

16b59b1929c38c8eae9cf060944ddc9c.jpg


ce5e8b4c12e0cf0f37a65db1f1b91cc7.jpg


58d01d0f8db1a0d9dc99bd1f58b4aca3.jpg


a8cf3f7b9b9a5f88d58f52f7d3d99746.jpg


eacd2b2b603d87135bc0a1686a723b03.jpg


Absolutely stunning piece of road. And quite hair-raising too. You can see the utter lack of guardrails.

Ouray, CO. 7,792 ft. Another really cool old mining town.

58920e0ad468a92374423aee050e95a0.jpg


After all this amazing riding, I kept the ball rolling and headed towards Telluride.

0828b49791e5c6b7d2897c3542cfa3fd.jpg


Found a National Forest campground nearby and met a couple who were riding all over on a KTM 1290. Real nice and gave me some pointers on where to head next.

Woke up to this view. Sunshine Peak, which has the dubious distinction of being Colorado's lowest 14'er. Sits at 14,007 feet. I wasn't complaining!!

a21946cb4021dec6dfedff41bf284912.jpg
 
Daniel, your pictures of Colorado are stunning! Been lots of years since I moved from there and so good to see it again in your beautiful pictures. Enjoy your trip!! :biker::biker:
 
Outstanding vistas! Really wonderful!! Was recently in CO and tried to climb a 14k peak...Sister and I got to within about 800 feet and one of decided that was high enough.
 
Back
Top