Tuesday morning scoot

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
My wife and I had a pair of Yamaha Majesty scooters we would ride together. Nice scooters. Automatic of course. 400cc singles, belt drive disc brakes. When I decided to trade in my 13 CB for a 14 DLX I used my scooter as part of the trade in. My wife hadn't ridden hers much and no sense keep two of them.

So that left hers in the garage. Like I said after a hip and 2 knee replacements it wasn't being ridden much, but she didn't want to get rid of it quite yet, so I have been riding it. I try and ride it at least once a week. It has become my errand vehicle.

Sunday I led 2 guys from Columbus on a 230 mile ride on the ST. Monday I led salesman Steve and his friend on 165 mile ride on my CB. This morning I rolled out the Majesty for a little solo ride. The weather terrorists were saying 90% chance of rain, but the sky looked good, so I took off to run some curves and chase some fall colors. It was a good ride. About 60 miles, being a mid week day there was little traffic, and the scooter was a joy to ride.

Some pics from this mornings ride



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Scooterride10-28-14012_zpsaf616afa.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Scooterride10-28-14024_zpsa2c277d6.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Scooterride10-28-14041_zps2f33fd82.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Scooterride10-28-14046_zps5e112aba.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Scooterride10-28-14050_zpsbbb21954.jpg.html]

and a selfie lol

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Scooterride10-28-14017_zps24c3c928.jpg.html]
 
Wish that we kept our SH150i, but we would have had to buy a second for the same reason you had two. Scooters are tons of fun. Thanks for the pics :)
 
Nice one, Ferret. The fall looks glorious. Wouldn't matter what you were riding, it'd be great.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus, I think in about 2 weeks we will be down to barren trees. Leaves are falling fast, and rain and cold only convince them to do so more quickly.

ES, I know most " motorcyclists" don't consider scooters true motorcycles, but that doesn't bother me. A set of handlebars, a throttle, a motor, 2 wheels, lean thru turns, plenty of wond protection and storage...and a blast to ride. When I get old (er), I'd have no problem having one for my only bike if it came down to it.

Have you seen the Honda Integra?
 
I recently sold my BV500 - part of freeing up space for the CB. You are smack on Ferret when it comes to scooters. A class of fun riding all their own. I hope to have another some day.
 
Great colour and nice pics. I've seen a forest of colour on a trip to upstate Connecticut some years ago. Absolutely stunning. Nothing like that in Oz, or even Europe but I beleive that remote areas of Eastern Russia (maybe Siberia) have large tracts of colourful deciduous forest remaining. More please.

I guess that with high wind and some moisture leaf litter would be a definite road hazard. While riding a VFR750 in Germany, to the north of Frankfurt, near Taunus I think, I gave myself a huge moment on damp leaf litter. Ended off the road upright between two trees. Not a scratch on the bike, some mud of course, but that was it. I was helped back on to the tarmac by a laughing German giant for whom I bought a stein or two that evening.

Ferret really! Scooting? It's a bit like rotary wing flying - nice while you're doing it but just don't tell people about it. :)

On the other hand, without Scoots I wouldn't be able to demonstrate the awesome power of the CB1100 (and unleash my inner Mick Doohan) by blasting them off at the traffic light GP. However, if there are any actual motorbikes on the starting grid I feign a mature, sophisticated indifference and accelerate at a measured and rather genteel pace.

Cheers mate, and thanks for the heads up PM
Sorry about the duplicate post. Finger trouble on my part.

Cheers
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus, I think in about 2 weeks we will be down to barren trees. Leaves are falling fast, and rain and cold only convince them to do so more quickly.

ES, I know most " motorcyclists" don't consider scooters true motorcycles, but that doesn't bother me. A set of handlebars, a throttle, a motor, 2 wheels, lean thru turns, plenty of wond protection and storage...and a blast to ride. When I get old (er), I'd have no problem having one for my only bike if it came down to it.

Have you seen the Honda Integra?
I had not seen the integra until just now. Pretty cool. At a gas stop on our ride Saturday, there was a nice, younger, couple on a pair of Vespa or Vespa-like scoots. They said they were just tooling around enjoying the beautiful day. I thought it was very cool and simple...just tooling around enjoying the day on a scooter. I give the wave to scooters...heck, I'd give the wave to an old person on a Rascal, given the opportunity.
 
Very cool Ferret and great pics. The worst thing you can do it let them sit and not be ridden and run. I already have that problem with power washers, gas edgers, chain saws, ect.... . Glad to see you still riding the scooter from time to time. How many miles do you have on it out of curiousity? And what year is it? Is it water cooled? I dont know much about scooters but I assume it must be.
 
Cool pics :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I test rode a Honda scooter last year with a larger engine and was very impressed with it. Lots of pep and weather protection.[/i]
They certainly have come a long way and are not to be laughed at any more.
 
Thread starter
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Very cool Ferret and great pics. The worst thing you can do it let them sit and not be ridden and run. I already have that problem with power washers, gas edgers, chain saws, ect.... . Glad to see you still riding the scooter from time to time. How many miles do you have on it out of curiousity? And what year is it? Is it water cooled? I dont know much about scooters but I assume it must be.
It's a 2009 she bought new. I think she put about 2000 miles on it, and I've put another 3000 miles on it. Yes, liquid cooled single, 400cc, belt drive, disc brakes. It is actually very fast..surprisingly so, and I tend to speed with it a lot without realizing it. Be tooling along, look down and dang, I'm speeding. It will supposedly run 106 mph, but like the CB the fastest I've had it is just over 80. Automatic, normal throttle, right brake lever is front brake, left hand lever is the rear brake. It has a powerful rear brake...MUCH better than my CB rear brake.

I always liked the Vespas but they handled weird. Really twitchy. These new Maxi scooters handle pretty well with their 14" wheels.

A couple years ago I pulled into a Suzuki shop on my ST and there was an older fella sitting outside. We got to talking and I found out he was waiting to pick up a new bike. He had traded in his Kawasaki Concours. I asked what he was going to get because other than the Bandit 1250, Suzuki had no big road bikes. He said he was getting a new Suzuki 650 Burgman Executive scooter. Said a lot of his buddies were doing the same. It was a epiphany for me. Maybe scooters could be taken seriously. Then a year later I was down in Kentucky, again on my ST, and saw a single headlight coming up quickly behind me. It eventually passed me and was on a guy on a 650 Burgman, with a Givi trunk. I followed him for about 15 miles. He waved me off onto the next exit so I followed him to a service station. Guy wanted to buy me a soft drink and chat for awhile. Ended up it was a retired guy from Colorado. Had been on a solo tour to the east coast and was on his way home. Was an old touring rider who had switched to the scooter after test riding one. Mentioned how easy it was to swing his leg thru the tunnel rather than try and lift it over the seat, and that it was powerful and comfortable.

I've found the Majesty to be the same. I'm not ready to give up motorcycles just yet, but I no longer fear that someday I won't be able to comfortably tour into my golden years, if I can no longer handle a big touring motorcycle.
 
The word "scooter" seems to belittle the worth of these other two wheeled devices. It's a pity really as modern scooters like the Majesty, Burgman, are great touring bikes as well as being economical commuter bikes.

A few years back we vacationed with some friends in the Texas Hill Country. One had a Honda cruiser and his wife had a new Suzuki Burgman 400. We rode the Three Sisters, TX16 to Medina, etc. The Burgman performed beautifully easily keeping pace with the other bikes. It changed my view of scooters which I had previously dismissed as "almost" motorcycles. I wouldn't hesitate to have one in the garage.
 
Thread starter
LOL I wear same gear for all bikes/scooters.
 
The ferret_imp said:
LOL I wear same gear for all bikes/scooters.
Sounds like a real good move Ferret. I wince when I see "smart young things" in short skirts, stockings and high heels heading for a day at the office. Or in bikinis on the way to the beach. The blokes? Well they can look after themselves :).

Cheers
 
The ferret_imp said:
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Very cool Ferret and great pics. The worst thing you can do it let them sit and not be ridden and run. I already have that problem with power washers, gas edgers, chain saws, ect.... . Glad to see you still riding the scooter from time to time. How many miles do you have on it out of curiousity? And what year is it? Is it water cooled? I dont know much about scooters but I assume it must be.
It's a 2009 she bought new. I think she put about 2000 miles on it, and I've put another 3000 miles on it. Yes, liquid cooled single, 400cc, belt drive, disc brakes. It is actually very fast..surprisingly so, and I tend to speed with it a lot without realizing it. Be tooling along, look down and dang, I'm speeding. It will supposedly run 106 mph, but like the CB the fastest I've had it is just over 80. Automatic, normal throttle, right brake lever is front brake, left hand lever is the rear brake. It has a powerful rear brake...MUCH better than my CB rear brake.

I always liked the Vespas but they handled weird. Really twitchy. These new Maxi scooters handle pretty well with their 14" wheels.

A couple years ago I pulled into a Suzuki shop on my ST and there was an older fella sitting outside. We got to talking and I found out he was waiting to pick up a new bike. He had traded in his Kawasaki Concours. I asked what he was going to get because other than the Bandit 1250, Suzuki had no big road bikes. He said he was getting a new Suzuki 650 Burgman Executive scooter. Said a lot of his buddies were doing the same. It was a epiphany for me. Maybe scooters could be taken seriously. Then a year later I was down in Kentucky, again on my ST, and saw a single headlight coming up quickly behind me. It eventually passed me and was on a guy on a 650 Burgman, with a Givi trunk. I followed him for about 15 miles. He waved me off onto the next exit so I followed him to a service station. Guy wanted to buy me a soft drink and chat for awhile. Ended up it was a retired guy from Colorado. Had been on a solo tour to the east coast and was on his way home. Was an old touring rider who had switched to the scooter after test riding one. Mentioned how easy it was to swing his leg thru the tunnel rather than try and lift it over the seat, and that it was powerful and comfortable.

I've found the Majesty to be the same. I'm not ready to give up motorcycles just yet, but I no longer fear that someday I won't be able to comfortably tour into my golden years, if I can no longer handle a big touring motorcycle.
It's a 2009 she bought new. I think she put about 2000 miles on it, and I've put another 3000 miles on it. Yes, liquid cooled single, 400cc, belt drive, disc brakes. It is actually very fast..surprisingly so, and I tend to speed with it a lot without realizing it. Be tooling along, look down and dang, I'm speeding. It will supposedly run 106 mph, but like the CB the fastest I've had it is just over 80. Automatic, normal throttle, right brake lever is front brake, left hand lever is the rear brake. It has a powerful rear brake...MUCH better than my CB rear brake.

I always liked the Vespas but they handled weird. Really twitchy. These new Maxi scooters handle pretty well with their 14" wheels.

A couple years ago I pulled into a Suzuki shop on my ST and there was an older fella sitting outside. We got to talking and I found out he was waiting to pick up a new bike. He had traded in his Kawasaki Concours. I asked what he was going to get because other than the Bandit 1250, Suzuki had no big road bikes. He said he was getting a new Suzuki 650 Burgman Executive scooter. Said a lot of his buddies were doing the same. It was a epiphany for me. Maybe scooters could be taken seriously. Then a year later I was down in Kentucky, again on my ST, and saw a single headlight coming up quickly behind me. It eventually passed me and was on a guy on a 650 Burgman, with a Givi trunk. I followed him for about 15 miles. He waved me off onto the next exit so I followed him to a service station. Guy wanted to buy me a soft drink and chat for awhile. Ended up it was a retired guy from Colorado. Had been on a solo tour to the east coast and was on his way home. Was an old touring rider who had switched to the scooter after test riding one. Mentioned how easy it was to swing his leg thru the tunnel rather than try and lift it over the seat, and that it was powerful and comfortable.

I've found the Majesty to be the same. I'm not ready to give up motorcycles just yet, but I no longer fear that someday I won't be able to comfortably tour into my golden years, if I can no longer handle a big touring motorcycle.
Hey, that thing sounds high tech. I see a ton of them in my area and got behind one a while back on a two lane and I could not keep up with him! I have no idea what it was but he was moving on.

The day will come when a scooter will be the thing for me but right now my plan is not a scooter, a trike, or a Can am Spyder. Im going to hook a sidecar to my 1100. Somebody on this forum did it and I thought it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.
 
Back
Top