True Confessions of CB1100 Riders

kevbroce_imp said:
With the CARB nozzles, I just shove it on the tank and pump away for about 2.25-2.5 gallons. If it gets much over 2.5 it always auto shuts off for me. If any mores going in I assume I'm about to make a mess. I cannot get a good medium flow out of those things, it's either full blast or a drizzle. If I eyeball the whole way with those things I'm either spraying drops all over the place or letting half the gas evaporate...
A perfect description.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
That is a odd nozzle! We don't have them. Thanks for the pic. And good luck filling up your bike.
You're in Mississippi...don't you just pour the gas in from an ol bucket?

:rofl:
 
Yea we all have the ole buckets. Lol. Most are just a tad rusty but we just wipe her out and let yer rip lol. Sorry I can't talk rite now we fixen to eat greens & chitlings and side of grits with potato pie :) mayonnaise their is a lot of folks over to eat :)
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Yea we all have the ole buckets. Lol. Most are just a tad rusty but we just wipe her out and let yer rip lol. Sorry I can't talk rite now we fixen to eat greens & chitlings and side of grits with potato pie :) mayonnaise their is a lot of folks over to eat :)
LOL. Good one! But I'd definitely take somma dat tater pie mmmmmMMMMM
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Could someone maybe fab up some sort of adapter funnel to mesh with the CARB nozzle? Or would it detect the open air at the other end, defeating the purpose?
Yeah, there was a company that made a big yellow doughnut-looking gasket that you could carry with you, in a special pouch, and the intent was to do just as you suggested. It worked brilliantly with some bikes, but didn't work at all with others. I just finally tossed it and went back to the old way.

In fact here it is.

BTW, topping off to get the last bit of fuel as they say on the website is a bad idea. You need that air space for heat expansion.

I learned how explosive and dangerous gasoline was the hard way; I used to play with fire a lot when I was young and stupid and finally I just about barbecued myself. There are some horrifying videos of people being blown up or burned whilst fueling up but amazingly, I think just about all of them came out of it OK (in the videos I watched, anyway).
 
We used to have those CARB style nozzles here in Phoenix. Fortunately, they've mostly been replaced by a different style that has the vapor recovery cap at the top of the pipe, so it works on cars but doesn't interfere with fueling a motorcycle. I used to hate having to hold the accordian gadget back while trying to fuel. I always ended up with stinky hands. Ours look like this :

6f24f0aaa0808570e9ee5f129989ebfb.jpg
 
My confession of the day: my ribs are killing me.
 
Randy B_imp said:
My confession of the day: my ribs are killing me.
Hope it passes soon, Randy.
 
I have done one of the dumbest things today ever in a while.:blush: I am coming out of my side street at dusk and a car in a drive starts to pull out and stops. Then he turns his lights off and then back on and starts out again but stops and shuts the lights back off. I am confused wondering what it is up with all of that thinking the guy may not see me or pull out in front of me.

I was so distracted that this happened about 25 yards from the stop sign that I tried to take off on a BUSY two lane road in 3rd gear. :@:rofl: All I can say is that its a good thing nothing was coming!!! I all but killed the little 750 and got it down a gear or 3 and went on finally. But boy it was ugly. :rofl:

I think I may be in the early stages of old timers. It is like there is a blank page in my mind sometimes. I know better and usually do better but sometimes I just dont think. :blush:
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Would've been better on a CB1100! Time to upgrade?
I wonder if the 1100s take off any better in 3rd gear than the CB750 Nighthawks? :rofl:

Seriously, I love the 1100's dearly and I will have one some day. I want one really really bad and just being patient for the good used ones when I can afford it.

But let me tell you I am impressed with this old 750 for what it is and a 11 year old basic motorcycle. Its not the best at anything but it does everything for me and does it well. And its simple and so easy to work on. I like it so much I keep thinking what an idiot I would be to sell it. I mean I really do like this thing.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
shdwghst457_imp said:
Would've been better on a CB1100! Time to upgrade?
I wonder if the 1100s take off any better in 3rd gear than the CB750 Nighthawks? :rofl:

Seriously, I love the 1100's dearly and I will have one some day. I want one really really bad and just being patient for the good used ones when I can afford it.

But let me tell you I am impressed with this old 750 for what it is and a 11 year old basic motorcycle. Its not the best at anything but it does everything for me and does it well. And its simple and so easy to work on. I like it so much I keep thinking what an idiot I would be to sell it. I mean I really do like this thing.
The perfect seque for my latest confession:
I've come to appreciate my CB1100 more and more as my ownership of the bike extends into its second year. It's such a great bike for my needs. However, I couldn't bear to part with my 1988 Hawk GT when I bought the CB1100. I still ride my Hawk on a regular basis and enjoy doing so.

(Deep breath here) If for some reason I was forced to sell my CB1100, theoretically speaking only of course, I'd be just fine relying solely on the Hawk once again for my motorcycling needs. Having a good bike to ride, any good bike, is a blessing — far better than doing without.

Hang in there OldF7Guy, all in due time...
 
There are cheap used CB1100 out there relatively speaking for only being 1 yr old. Nothing dirt cheap. I'm on constant look for a second BMW as a parts bike for my K75RT, I find it shocking that a 20-30 yr old bike is asking $2500-$5000, when you know it needs a ton of work and parts due to age, and lack of care.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
shdwghst457_imp said:
Would've been better on a CB1100! Time to upgrade?
I wonder if the 1100s take off any better in 3rd gear than the CB750 Nighthawks? :rofl:

Seriously, I love the 1100's dearly and I will have one some day. I want one really really bad and just being patient for the good used ones when I can afford it.

But let me tell you I am impressed with this old 750 for what it is and a 11 year old basic motorcycle. Its not the best at anything but it does everything for me and does it well. And its simple and so easy to work on. I like it so much I keep thinking what an idiot I would be to sell it. I mean I really do like this thing.
I wonder if the 1100s take off any better in 3rd gear than the CB750 Nighthawks? :rofl:

Seriously, I love the 1100's dearly and I will have one some day. I want one really really bad and just being patient for the good used ones when I can afford it.

But let me tell you I am impressed with this old 750 for what it is and a 11 year old basic motorcycle. Its not the best at anything but it does everything for me and does it well. And its simple and so easy to work on. I like it so much I keep thinking what an idiot I would be to sell it. I mean I really do like this thing.
I'm glad you love your bike, that's what matters most. I'll love my 1100 even more when I pay it off; halfway there fortunately. Then I'll probably buy the next bike on the list, which will probably be a Triumph Rocket III roadster or speed/street Triple R, but I don't foresee myself ever letting go of #955.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
shdwghst457_imp said:
Would've been better on a CB1100! Time to upgrade?
I wonder if the 1100s take off any better in 3rd gear than the CB750 Nighthawks? :rofl:

Seriously, I love the 1100's dearly and I will have one some day. I want one really really bad and just being patient for the good used ones when I can afford it.

But let me tell you I am impressed with this old 750 for what it is and a 11 year old basic motorcycle. Its not the best at anything but it does everything for me and does it well. And its simple and so easy to work on. I like it so much I keep thinking what an idiot I would be to sell it. I mean I really do like this thing.
I know what you mean. I couldn't bear to sell mine.

I was reminded what a good bike it is this weekend. I made a 400 mi. trip up to visit family at a cabin in NE AZ. The CB1100's front tire was showing wear bars, so I decided to play it safe and take the CB750 instead. I had a great, comfortable ride up to the cooler elevations and the trip went without a hitch. Exactly what I've come to expect after 18 yrs. and 40K miles on that bike.

0af4bf67eef015bec76edab57e6ee8be.jpg
 
Back
Top