Triumph Tiger 800 XR anyone?

I've sat on one at the dealer and the ergos are perfect. Seat is well shaped and very comfy, much like the seat on my Triumph Tiger 1050. I have ridden the smaller cousin of this bike, the Street Triple and was much impressed by the torque and sound of that motor. I came close to buying a Tiger 800 but felt the bike was simply taller than I was comfortable with. My Tiger 1050 had the same seat height and after a year I put a lowering link on the rear and raised the forks. This helped but it was still tall for my short build. If your wife is okay with the seat height she will like the Tiger 800 I think. My wife is 5' 7" and loves her V-strom which is about equal to the Tiger 800's seat level.
 
Redbirds,

Could you post a pic of the lowering link? I have never seen a bike with them and would like to know what they look like. Thanks
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Redbirds,

Could you post a pic of the lowering link? I have never seen a bike with them and would like to know what they look like. Thanks
I don't have a pic on file of a lowering link and they vary in type according to the bike brand and model. Typically a lowering link is a modified version of the rear suspension link common on single shock, progressive link rear suspensions.

My Triumph Tiger had a triangular pair of steel plates that linked the bottom shock mount to swing arm. The lowering plates had the mounting holes on the plates relocated to change the rear shock angle and thus raise the swing arm position, lowering the rear ride height. The Tiger 800 probably has a similar setup.

The V-strom has a pair of Steel, dog bone shaped links that locate the rear shock. A set of longer links were installed to obtain the same result as on the Tiger.

When lowering a bike, you have to get replacement links specific to that bike and they only work on late model bikes with linked single rear shocks.
In this photo of a Honda dirt bike you can see the gold colored, dog bone type links.

https://redbirdacres.shutterfly.com/pictures/2420
 
I am a Tiger 800 ABS owner, bought new in 2011, and it's the best all around bike I've owned. I'm 5'8" and with the low seat, it's no problem to flat foot it. Great motor, excellent ergos, handles beautifully, not a single problem with it. The new versions with TC, ride modes and revamped motor should be ideal.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Redbirds,

Could you post a pic of the lowering link? I have never seen a bike with them and would like to know what they look like. Thanks
Here is the 'Soupy's' lowering link kit for the T800: Tiger 800XC All Years Adjustable Lowering Links Kit 4 Inches Lower
 
Took one on an extended test ride, good bike. Was getting off of a BMW R1200GS and couldn't tell a lot of difference between the two bikes. Triumph has a reputation for solid bikes, owned a T100 for a while and might buy another.
I put lowering links on my wife's bike, BMW FS650, with excellent results. Simple, cost effective way to get the bike more suited for her.
Another thing we did was buy her some different boots, a pair with thicker soles. Made a world of difference.
 
Thread starter
She sat on one today with the lower seat. The Triumph dealer near us is an Eagle Rider rental place, so I think she's going to rent one for a day or a weekend to see how she likes it. Nice looking bike and could be perfect for her. Thanks for e input and I'll let y'all know how it works out.
 
Thread starter
It looks even better with Cheryl on top of it. :)

I want her to ride it soon. I think she will abandon her obsession with flat-footedness if she does.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
It looks even better with Cheryl on top of it. :)

I want her to ride it soon. I think she will abandon her obsession with flat-footedness if she does.
Because, in the past, you've been generous enough to post photos of Mrs MTC on this august forum, I can say without fear of contradiction that it's hard to think of a bike that wouldn't look better with her aboard. Indeed, since the recent announcement that Mr Heffner has seen the error of his ways ... :angel:
 
Thread starter
I owe a ride report to you, Cormanus, there will be pictures (fully clothed) accompanying it.

All I'll say is, if she gets this bike, I hope she leads more rides.
 
Once my wife found a bike she was comfortable on she started riding a lot more. Hate to say it but she chose a Can-Am Spyder, we did a seven plus hour ride recently and she complained that I rode too slow.
That's my girl!
 
I loved the idea and all the specs of the new 800Xr (and XrX) when it came out earlier this year, but when I finally got a chance to try one on for size, I didn't like the feel at all. Tallish, top-heavy, and much more massive feeling than I expected for an 800. And I'm a 6 footer, so being short was not the problem. Admittedly, I've never owned an ADV bike, so it might just be I'm not used to that kind of layout, but I was pretty disappointed; I was genuinely interested in buying one.
 
Papa, did you ride it? It's a fantastic road bike, and the seat is adjustable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Papa Weeley_imp said:
No, I didn't. I was so put off by the way it felt I lost interest. :-/
Yeah, you definitely have to "feel it" when you sit on a bike, I think. My limited experience shows me that, while riding it might give you a better impression, if you ain't comfortable just sitting on it, you ain't going to like it enough to own it. In our case, Cheryl was comfortable sitting on it so we will take the next step of a test ride. If that works out, we will take the next step of renting one for the day. IF that goes OK, we'll start figuring out budgets.
 
Back
Top