Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC on the way

Henrik_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I have been thinking for quite some time about getting a new bike. I wanted something a bit different to the CB, and for a while I was looking at a proper sports bike. My mind had been set on a Ducati Supersports 950, but then last year I began turning away from that.

I'm not getting any younger, and at 6.2 feet I am pretty tall, which has my legs quite bent on the Honda. I love riding it though, but I notice that my knees do hurt more and more after longer rides. So, the Ducati, although ergonomically really good, was not the ideal choice. It was better to go something taller. That is when I started looking at scramblers and ADV bikes. Given my type of riding, the scrambler seemed a better fit as I don't expect to do an trips around the world!

I had tried previously Ducati Scramblers, and really liked the bigger 1100 one. Then last year I began looking at the Triumph Scrambler 1200. I though it looked great, but never got a chance to test ride one. So, this spring I started my quest again. I first had a go on a Moto Guzzi V85TT, which was very nice. Then on Monday I finally got give the Triumph a proper test ride:

31d545a112c57501b4b56fdd947b8c42.jpg


I just loved the bike. It looks fabulous, with very nice details and overall quality. My position once on the bike was perfect, and I was able to stretch my legs quite a bit more than on the Honda. Riding out through town, the thing was so nimble and easy, and even though it is a twin you can go really low in the RPMs with no hesitation.

Once out of the city, I could properly explore the engine, and it is amazing. The torque is incredible, and comes in very early. The shocks are top quality, and will absorb anything a road will throw at them. The handling is so intuitive, and with the fairly wide bars, it just goes in to corners any way you want. All the while, the sound was great, and I was happy to feel again the pleasant (but never annoying) vibrations of a twin.

I was sold! Order placed on a blue one like this:

fb61394f4851745b03e93f0372f0add4.png


Now I just have to be patient until the bike arrives. I think it will make a perfect companion to the Honda.
 
Congrats Henrik!! Keep us posted.
 
That is a beautiful bike and I'm just a bit taller than you and could benefit from the ergos as well. I know I've said this before, but I think Triumph has done better than anyone else with the long rectangular radiator that blends in nicely with the downtubes. Congratulations! I hope you'll post some photos when it arrives.
 
Very cool. It uses the High Torque 1200 motor which is why it's so grunty.

The tank shape on the black one in the first pic is perfect Triumph. Not the same as on the blue with black stripe one is it?

If it were mine, I'd powder coat those little silver bits above the foot pegs black, and the middle heat shield on the mufflers silver.
 
Thread starter
Actually it is the same tank shape in both, it is just the perspective that makes it look different. Beautiful traditional shape.

My only problem is that I have to wait until June...

And pdedse, there is always the XE version which is even taller.
 
That looks like the XC, did you try the taller XE too, that one is even taller and a good few extras for not much extra money (well here anyway)? I rode one at a Triumph open day and the engine is addictive I will say. I'm sure my arms were two inches longer when I got off the thing! Congratulations.
 
Thread starter
I tried the XE as well, and I prefer the XC to be honest. I don't really intend on doing much off-roading, and so the XC really just fits what I want better. And yes, then engine is addictive!
 
Henrik_imp said:
I tried the XE as well, and I prefer the XC to be honest. I don't really intend on doing much off-roading, and so the XC really just fits what I want better. And yes, then engine is addictive!
I tried the XC and prefer that too as it happens and if I'm riding it like the CB I don't need a 6-Axis IMU!:D
 
That’s a great looking bike, Henrik. Well done.
 
Thread starter
Well, the wait seemed to be never-ending for my Scrambler to arrive. This morning I was finally able to go and pick it up. Spent quite a bit of time at the shop to go through all the various settings on the bike, which was a new experience for me as I have never before had a bike with ride-by-wire and all these ride modes etc. It was great fun nevertheless, and so I set it to rain in spite of the bright and sunny weather as I am always a bit cautious with brand new tires.

I have now been out riding it for a bit, but it is almost too hot out. I think I will go for a long ride tomorrow morning when it should be a bit cooler. Absolutely love the bike!! Incredible engine, outstanding shocks (sort of points out even more how the CB shocks could really use an improvement), comfortable riding position and all.

c65ea43b124894e0afc8e5563cf6fcbf.jpg


319fe6c8a9e0455461918b3114ca36fa.jpg
 
Thread starter
It is certainly lighter than the CB, but it is also taller. It may be down to me getting more used to the bike, but I feel that low-speed maneuvers are easier on the Honda than the Triumph.
 
Back in the day, I had a Honda CL450, the high-pipe scrambler. Nice. I have an '03 Suzi V-Strom1000 for a second bike now, like it a lot, and the price was right, too.
 
Back
Top