Transponder Key?

jethrofelix_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Can anyone tell me if the key for my 2014 CB1100 has a transponder chip? I looked online and couldn't find a clear answer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
Here in Switzerland the 2014 all have the H.I.S.S. keys, which as far as I understand is an electronic immobilizer function. I don't see how this can work without having a transponder.
 
Jethro is in the US and no US bikes have the Hiss system.
 
I wish someone could explain to me why Honda sends bikes with the HISS everywhere except the USA.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I wish someone could explain to me why Honda sends bikes with the HISS everywhere except the USA.
All I know is that it's flattened my battery while the 'bike was stored, awaiting my return to England. Boo hiss... (Sorry!!). :D
 
The little red flashing 'HISS' warning light on the dash, flashing for three months, finally did for the battery. Still, it might have conked out after all that time with NO flashing warning light!! :)
 
Bazbro, in my case ( japanese import ) the hiss warning light only flashes for about 24 hours and shuts down, i was curious and measured the battery drain whilst the light was flashing, the battery discharged 0.0012A, 1.2 milli amperes before shutting down after 24 hours at 0.0 mA, exactly the same on my cb919 hornet, are you sure yours flashes for longer than that?
Very curious to hear about that and an interesting observation, thanks for sharing; max
 
max_imp said:
Bazbro, in my case ( japanese import ) the hiss warning light only flashes for about 24 hours and shuts down, i was curious and measured the battery drain whilst the light was flashing, the battery discharged 0.0012A, 1.2 milli amperes before shutting down after 24 hours at 0.0 mA, exactly the same on my cb919 hornet, are you sure yours flashes for longer than that?
Very curious to hear about that and an interesting observation, thanks for sharing; max
The handbook (p27) does indeed state "Flashes every 2 seconds for 24 hours when the ignition switch is turned off".

Think your battery may have just run down all by itself Bazbro?
 
That's what my handbook says, too, Haggard Rider. I think it also says you can stop it flashing. I suspect it would take a very long time indeed to flatten the battery.
 
max_imp said:
Bazbro, in my case ( japanese import ) the hiss warning light only flashes for about 24 hours and shuts down, i was curious and measured the battery drain whilst the light was flashing, the battery discharged 0.0012A, 1.2 milli amperes before shutting down after 24 hours at 0.0 mA, exactly the same on my cb919 hornet, are you sure yours flashes for longer than that?
Very curious to hear about that and an interesting observation, thanks for sharing; max
Many thanks for that info, Max.
In short, No! I'm not sure about the flashing. I still don't have my CB in my possession yet. When my trailer hitch fault scuppered my plans to bring the 'bike home with me, I've had to engage a motorcycle removal company to do it - it's with them now.
I noticed the HISS flashing when I first approached the 'bike and had inserted the key. All will be revealed in the coming days/weeks! I'm hoping the 'bike will be delivered Wednesday or Thursday.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:
Haggard Rider_imp said:
max_imp said:
Bazbro, in my case ( japanese import ) the hiss warning light only flashes for about 24 hours and shuts down, i was curious and measured the battery drain whilst the light was flashing, the battery discharged 0.0012A, 1.2 milli amperes before shutting down after 24 hours at 0.0 mA, exactly the same on my cb919 hornet, are you sure yours flashes for longer than that?
Very curious to hear about that and an interesting observation, thanks for sharing; max
The handbook (p27) does indeed state "Flashes every 2 seconds for 24 hours when the ignition switch is turned off".

Think your battery may have just run down all by itself Bazbro?
The handbook (p27) does indeed state "Flashes every 2 seconds for 24 hours when the ignition switch is turned off".

Think your battery may have just run down all by itself Bazbro?
Yes, that's what I'm thinking, HR, in the light of what you've found. I only have the instruction book off the interwebnet-thingy - I last read it months ago!
The 'bike was crashed in October last year and it's been in the hands of the insurance company and in storage since then. So a flat battery is not unreasonable after all that time, is it? :) And nothing to do with "flashing warning lights"! :)
 
My ex-Ducati Monster had an immobilizer system which required a special key to operate the bike and a separate "red key" and printed code should you get locked out. Once the bike was shut off and immobilized, the dash-mounted LED would flash for 24 hours. Absent the red key and printed code, if you lost the special key you'd need to replace the ECU (and rekey the bike) in order to operate the bike. Personally, I'm glad the U.S.-market CB has nothing of the sort.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
My ex-Ducati Monster had an immobilizer system which required a special key to operate the bike and a separate "red key" and printed code should you get locked out. Once the bike was shut off and immobilized, the dash-mounted LED would flash for 24 hours. Absent the red key and printed code, if you lost the special key you'd need to replace the ECU (and rekey the bike) in order to operate the bike. Personally, I'm glad the U.S.-market CB has nothing of the sort.
Wow. Thank goodness we don't have to deal with that.
I'm a millennial and love technology, but I draw the line with my CB. I mean, a gear indicator is nice, but sometimes I feel like it's a little overkill for what the bike was/is.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
If somebody really wants the bike, they will just lift it and haul it away.

- - -

I like the idea that if it is being tampered with that I will get an event (in less than 20 seconds) on my mobile phone and its travel trajectory.
 
If somebody really wants the bike, they will just lift it and haul it away :P

GPS bike tracker, how much per month?
:)
 
It is a pain getting a new key programmed, but there's advice online on how to do it yourself at home. What is a bit scary, if I recall aright, is that there is a finite number of keys you can program before you have to replace the whole ignition unit.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
If somebody really wants the bike, they will just lift it and haul it away :P

GPS bike tracker, how much per month?
:)
No quite GPS, but cellular triangulation. Events are sent directly to your cell phone. Incredibly reliable.

Protect Your Valuables from Intrusion | Simtek StealthALERT

$4 per month, or $43 annually paid.

- - -

I added a modification to mine for motorcycle use:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13833&pid=227590#pid227590
 
Back
Top