Traffic.

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm not sure if I'm the only one who's experiencing this here in Southern California, but wanted to see if it's the same in other parts of the country, or the world for that matter.

When the world shut down last year, road traffic became very light as people hunkered down and few people were going somewhere for a job each day.

Now, with the world seemingly back to a new normal, many people have remained working at home, or are not working at all. We had about 15 people working in our office each day, and now we've got six, with the remaining people able to work from home permanently. Also, about half of the commercial space around our office is still vacant.

However, road traffic on weekdays has returned to pre-pandemic level. Once again, I'm very happy to be able to ride a motorcycle to work, cutting half the time and all of the traffic. Here's me on the way to work this morning. Both the regular and car pool lanes are crawling on a Thursday morning.

Interestingly, while car and truck traffic have returned to normal, I hardly see any motorcycles on my daily commute now. Maybe one other bike every few days.

Am I the only one seeing this?
 
Im not out in rush hour traffic for the most part, but non rush hour traffic seems to be higher than usual to me. I dont think all the people working from home are staying home for 8 hours a day.

I dont know how you ppl in So Cal can put up with that traffic every day
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Im not out in rush hour traffic for the most part, but non rush hour traffic seems to be higher than usual to me. I dont think all the people working from home are staying home for 8 hours a day.

I dont know how you ppl in So Cal can put up with that traffic every day
Some of us can't, which is why we ride motorycles.
 
I have thought about this very thing lately. Traffic around here has definitely gotten worse but if really think about it not pre-pandemic worse. Maybe having it good for so long makes it seem as bad as it was?
 
Seeing it in the Norfolk, Va. area too. And a lot of them driving like it is still nobody on the road with a lot more accidents on the Interstate.
 
As a commercial truck driver I run Markle In.- Crest Hill Ill.-Des Planes Ill.- Greenwood In. back to Markle In. and I gotta say traffic at night has been back to its pre pandemic madness for quite some time. I dont see many bikes at night, nor on my 47 mile commute each way back and forth to work. I miss the lack of traffic during the pandemic.

Titus 2:13
2013 HONDA CB1100
 
Thread starter
One would think that, logically, if so many people are still at home for some reason during the week, that traffic would be less than it had been pre-pandemic.
I can understand that my weekend commute to my job on the west side of L.A. is still as heavy, as people are still doing weekend activities.

It's weird. At least I can report that even if there are fewer motorcycles on my freeways during commute times, drivers are for the most part still showing the same level of courtesy, like moving over a bit to make room during heavy traffic. I appreciate that.
 
Here in southern Ontario, traffic that includes trucks, motorcycles and cages has essentially returned to pre-pandemic levels.

It is strange given many offices spaces are vacant, or now "For Lease".

It is interesting questioning "what is going on?" Maybe an interesting study. I wonder if racial profiling would reveal a trend.
 
Im actually seeing plenty of bikes out, even now as the temperatures start to drop. I rode home from work today in the rain and spotted no less than 3 bikes on the way in the rain with me. Seems like motorcycle traffic is back to normal here.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I'm not sure if I'm the only one who's experiencing this here in Southern California, but wanted to see if it's the same in other parts of the country, or the world for that matter.

When the world shut down last year, road traffic became very light as people hunkered down and few people were going somewhere for a job each day.

Now, with the world seemingly back to a new normal, many people have remained working at home, or are not working at all. We had about 15 people working in our office each day, and now we've got six, with the remaining people able to work from home permanently. Also, about half of the commercial space around our office is still vacant.

However, road traffic on weekdays has returned to pre-pandemic level. Once again, I'm very happy to be able to ride a motorcycle to work, cutting half the time and all of the traffic. Here's me on the way to work this morning. Both the regular and car pool lanes are crawling on a Thursday morning.

Interestingly, while car and truck traffic have returned to normal, I hardly see any motorcycles on my daily commute now. Maybe one other bike every few days.

Am I the only one seeing this?
I think that might be difficult to measure accurately. For example, if you ride to work at the same time each day perhaps the roads are as full as they were before...I mean, full is full--once the hiway stretch you're on is saturated, it simply is. Traffic might crawl along at whatever slow speed just as you remember from before.

But...for how long? How long does that hiway saturation last? Perhaps before, the stretch you ride was saturated with traffic for a good 2.5 hours in the morning, let's say from 7am to 930am. But now, it may only be saturated for an hour an a half, from 730-9am. But if your commute is from 745-830, it seems as if traffic is the same as before--completely saturated during your 45 minute commute.

In reality, the saturation duration may be an hour less which means many fewer cars / vehicles on that stretch of the hiway.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
I'm not sure if I'm the only one who's experiencing this here in Southern California, but wanted to see if it's the same in other parts of the country, or the world for that matter.

When the world shut down last year, road traffic became very light as people hunkered down and few people were going somewhere for a job each day.

Now, with the world seemingly back to a new normal, many people have remained working at home, or are not working at all. We had about 15 people working in our office each day, and now we've got six, with the remaining people able to work from home permanently. Also, about half of the commercial space around our office is still vacant.

However, road traffic on weekdays has returned to pre-pandemic level. Once again, I'm very happy to be able to ride a motorcycle to work, cutting half the time and all of the traffic. Here's me on the way to work this morning. Both the regular and car pool lanes are crawling on a Thursday morning.

Interestingly, while car and truck traffic have returned to normal, I hardly see any motorcycles on my daily commute now. Maybe one other bike every few days.

Am I the only one seeing this?
I think that might be difficult to measure accurately. For example, if you ride to work at the same time each day perhaps the roads are as full as they were before...I mean, full is full--once the hiway stretch you're on is saturated, it simply is. Traffic might crawl along at whatever slow speed just as you remember from before.

But...for how long? How long does that hiway saturation last? Perhaps before, the stretch you ride was saturated with traffic for a good 2.5 hours in the morning, let's say from 7am to 930am. But now, it may only be saturated for an hour an a half, from 730-9am. But if your commute is from 745-830, it seems as if traffic is the same as before--completely saturated during your 45 minute commute.

In reality, the saturation duration may be an hour less which means many fewer cars / vehicles on that stretch of the hiway.
I think that is a reasonable possibility. One would have to grab a thermos of coffee and park the CB1100 on top of a hill and watch traffic all morning.
 
Thread starter
That's interesting, pdedse. My morning commute is always at the same time, so I wouldn't really know if the period of heavy traffic is shorter than it used to be. My exit time can be anywhere from around 5:30 to 6:30, and the return traffic is always the same - crowded.

I don't really feel like sitting on an overpass with a thermos of coffee to watch traffic all morning.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
That's interesting, pdedse. My morning commute is always at the same time, so I wouldn't really know if the period of heavy traffic is shorter than it used to be. My exit time can be anywhere from around 5:30 to 6:30, and the return traffic is always the same - crowded.

I don't really feel like sitting on an overpass with a thermos of coffee to watch traffic all morning.
Oh my, that is early for traffic to be backed up...California! In the Portland area, it seems to stack up a bit later...630am might still be decent.

Gone in 60_imp said:
That's interesting, pdedse. My morning commute is always at the same time, so I wouldn't really know if the period of heavy traffic is shorter than it used to be. My exit time can be anywhere from around 5:30 to 6:30, and the return traffic is always the same - crowded.

I don't really feel like sitting on an overpass with a thermos of coffee to watch traffic all morning.
I would imagine that the traffic cameras that many areas have actually do record if overall flow of traffic is less than pre-pandemic levels.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
That's interesting, pdedse. My morning commute is always at the same time, so I wouldn't really know if the period of heavy traffic is shorter than it used to be. My exit time can be anywhere from around 5:30 to 6:30, and the return traffic is always the same - crowded.

I don't really feel like sitting on an overpass with a thermos of coffee to watch traffic all morning.
Oh my, that is early for traffic to be backed up...California! In the Portland area, it seems to stack up a bit later...630am might still be decent.

Gone in 60_imp said:
That's interesting, pdedse. My morning commute is always at the same time, so I wouldn't really know if the period of heavy traffic is shorter than it used to be. My exit time can be anywhere from around 5:30 to 6:30, and the return traffic is always the same - crowded.

I don't really feel like sitting on an overpass with a thermos of coffee to watch traffic all morning.
I would imagine that the traffic cameras that many areas have actually do record if overall flow of traffic is less than pre-pandemic levels.
Oh my, that is early for traffic to be backed up...California! In the Portland area, it seems to stack up a bit later...630am might still be decent.
. . .
If traffic backs up 5:30 am anywhere in the world, it is time to move.
 
Thread starter
Noooo.... I meant that's what time I exit my office, between 5:30 and 6:30 PM... not AM.

But, timing can be critical. For example if I'm working a Saturday morning shift at the museum in West L.A., I know that if I don't get out the door before 8:45, I'm going to add at least 20 minutes to my commute.
 
I only ride to work on Wednesdays, to break up the week a bit, and only if I had a good route. Doing contract work, I sometimes have a really good ride to work, thru interesting roads and terrain, but sometimes the route is SoCal freeway all the way. In the mornings I like my coffee and heater, going home I like the air conditioning and I like the tunes both ways.
 
You are definitely not the only one to see this Gone. We have had a year of very light traffic, and no-stress commutes were very easy to get used to. Our traffic started in September when the kids started going back to school, and it's apparent that is the cause of extra delays and slower traffic because midterms were last week and everything went back to "normal". Never was a better time to commute on two wheels

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
Back to Pdedse's point, in the interest of scientific research, I felt that it was incumbent on me to sleep in an extra hour and go to work later than normal this morning, just to see if traffic was any lighter at 8:30 than at 7:30.

I'd say it was maybe 20% lighter, but still very heavy.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Back to Pdedse's point, in the interest of scientific research, I felt that it was incumbent on me to sleep in an extra hour and go to work later than normal this morning, just to see if traffic was any lighter at 8:30 than at 7:30.

I'd say it was maybe 20% lighter, but still very heavy.
Traffic was 20% lighter and you got 20% more sleep!
 
There are just not enough MC commuters around these parts for me to notice a difference on that. Yes, the weekday traffic has definitely increased since during the pandemic even with more people working from home than they were pre-pandemic. One thing I've noticed is that Monday traffic is not quite as bad as it used to be. I suspect that folks with a "3 Day In-office" schedule are working from home Mondays and Fridays (translation: working from wherever they spent their long weekend)
 
Back
Top