Trade a '13 for a '14 EX? How much will it cost?

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've been vocal about my desire to trade in my '13 if the 14 EX comes to market...
Now that we know the answer to the question 'if'... will I (and many of you...) really pull the plug? I want the 6 speed, the dual pipes, and the chrome double wall headers with their beautiful straight waterfall. And I LOVE the red color, but don't really care about the wheels, instrumentation, tank, etc.. BUT... how much will the difference be? What do you think? Here's my thoughts... My '13 will probably still have less than 2500 miles on it by April. I paid $9300 for it (before taxes and fees). I 'think' the trade in value will be about $7000. The '14 EX will sticker for $11900 (if I've read right). But, I bet that I can get the bike for $11000. $11000 minus $7000 leaves a net cost to me of $4000.... again, before taxes. Question? Am I close to what you think? And is the trade worth it? I am not a high mileage rider... and seldom trade. But my reason for buying this bike is to have one as close to the original 750 as I can get... and unless they come out with a 4 pipe model next year, this fits the bill much better than the '13. Your thoughts?
 
Numbers seem reasonable, although less than sticker may not be. Sounds like a workable deal though, in theory. Therefore, do it. You know you want to.
 
I already tried for a trade in value and they offered me $6k, 6.5k at the most. I could probably get a little more with a private sale. I talked myself into not needing a 6th gear, a bigger tank,

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free
 
I think you'll have a hard time getting $7000 on a trade in. The KBB trade in value is $5750 right now. Why don't you just call them and get some hard numbers? I'm sure that will help in your decision.
 
Thread starter
CBville_imp said:
I think you'll have a hard time getting $7000 on a trade in. The KBB trade in value is $5750 right now. Why don't you just call them and get some hard numbers? I'm sure that will help in your decision.
I didn't realize KBB already has a value... Thanks.
Wow... I just looked... Cbville is right... $5750.00 is what's in KBB.
But that number's pretty low. My 4 year old KLR is carrying a trade in price about 1/2 of what I paid. My 10 year old Superglide has a trade in price of a little bit less than 1/2 of what I paid. I bought both brand new too... If a 9 month old CB1100 is only worth 57% of sticker... that doesn't bode well long term. I hope Sanpete is right... or I may have to rethink my plan and just enjoy what I have. :dodgy:
 
I'll keep my '13 ABS. It already has a custom saddle, lower Buell foot pegs, Shorai battery, Bazzaz power module, chrome gauge covers and CB500 mirrors. In southern California, even at the dealership where I'm well-liked, I'd guess I'd only get about $6,500 trade-in.

But, when parts eventually become available, I may try to buy the OEM 4-into-2 exhaust pipes, and I'd guess the new center stand that they would require (as the center stand tang should have to move out a little bit to clear the left pipe).
 
I suppose the question is, are the pipes and tank worth say, $5000 to you? That is realistically about the best you can hope for, or perhaps wait and see how the 2014's sell. Perhaps they will have a surplus next fall and you can get a better deal.

I'm sure you have thought of this, but, maybe an aftermarket exhaust and tank are better options? Ack-CB11 has achieved a really nice result going that route, and it probably costs less than the 5k you would lose on a trade in.

I'm happy with mine, glad I don't have that decision, I know it is tough.
 
ride4now_imp said:
CBville_imp said:
I think you'll have a hard time getting $7000 on a trade in. The KBB trade in value is $5750 right now. Why don't you just call them and get some hard numbers? I'm sure that will help in your decision.
I didn't realize KBB already has a value... Thanks.
Wow... I just looked... Cbville is right... $5750.00 is what's in KBB.
But that number's pretty low. My 4 year old KLR is carrying a trade in price about 1/2 of what I paid. My 10 year old Superglide has a trade in price of a little bit less than 1/2 of what I paid. I bought both brand new too... If a 9 month old CB1100 is only worth 57% of sticker... that doesn't bode well long term. I hope Sanpete is right... or I may have to rethink my plan and just enjoy what I have. :dodgy:
The KLR and the Superglide have one important thing in common. They're both very popular bikes (read : easy to resell). Niche bikes tend to take more of a hit on trade in value.

Given that used CB11s were selling in the $7.5K range before the '14s were announced, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come down a bit by the time the '14s are actually on the floor. Your best bet would be to sell it on your own, then buy the '14.
 
I think $4 k diff is a realistic figure. A dealer will try and get $7995 out of a used CB and he cant sell it for that if he allows that much for it. Expect $7k trade allowance and maybe $11K for the new one equals $4k diff.
 
I will keep my 2013 and add an 2014 ,also keeping my 94 and 95 CB1000.
I explained a long time ago to my wife that it is cheaper in the long run to have many bikes at the same time.
If you have only one bike and ride it a lot the value will go down fast and you much quicker come to larger repair/maintances bills.
If however you have say at least 4 bikes the value will drop little and might even go up after a certain number of years,especially with collectors bikes!
So instead of spending our money I am investing it for our future.
My wife thinks that I am very clever and should be running the USA treasury.

I hope that this works with your better half.
 
Lol..campaign promise..."4 motorcycles in every garage".. You have my vote!
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
I will keep my 2013 and add an 2014 ,also keeping my 94 and 95 CB1000.
I explained a long time ago to my wife that it is cheaper in the long run to have many bikes at the same time.
If you have only one bike and ride it a lot the value will go down fast and you much quicker come to larger repair/maintances bills.
If however you have say at least 4 bikes the value will drop little and might even go up after a certain number of years,especially with collectors bikes!
So instead of spending our money I am investing it for our future.
My wife thinks that I am very clever and should be running the USA treasury.

I hope that this works with your better half.
I love your wife!!! But I love my wife better... so no worry's.
My wife has been great when it comes to my toys... My problem is
I occasionally like to ride my bikes... and having more than 3 in
two different locations at this point in my life would be too much.
Maybe down the road...
The ferret_imp said:
I think $4 k diff is a realistic figure. A dealer will try and get $7995 out of a used CB and he cant sell it for that if he allows that much for it. Expect $7k trade allowance and maybe $11K for the new one equals $4k diff.
I'm with you... and assuming I like what I see when I see one
in the 'flesh'... I'd pull the trigger for that difference. Any more than
that might be too much to emotionally swallow.
 
I have thought ten bikes was a nice round number to have in the kit. I'm finding out three to four is more realistic. Four is probably at my limit; at least when some are carb bikes. Have thought about scoring on a naked Goldwing in the 76-81 range and a buddy just got a very nice sample of a 78. I'll test ride it and see if the rose coloured glasses are close to the truth. I suspect the CB1100 will have spoiled me.

The 2014 has some features I really like, but at this stage in life, I like diversity, so I'd look at something different rather than getting another CB. Alas, while there are a ton of cool bikes to choose from, few fit me. And I'd like to get a taller seat to cure the main issue I have with the CB1100.

Three of my bikes have spokes. One is tubeless; its' the bee's knee's. One spoked bike is a classic and the other is a dirt bike. Another tubed spoked and chain drive bike is not that attractive.

With the motorcycle show tomorrow I need to be strong and not be seduced by some shiney babble. :)
 
Ive had as many as 7 as a matter of fact there are 6 in the garage right now but 2 belong to my son who just built a new house and hasn't moved his bikes over yet. The other 4 are my responsibility and I will tell you for me its tough keeping up with maintenance on 4 bikes...something is always needing tires, oil/ filter, chain adjustment, air in the tires or just to be ridden because I haven't ridden " that one" in a while...and "winterizing day" is an all day affair. Two classics I had, an 81 650 Yam and a 73 CB 350/4 just wore me out with niggling things..like Rboe said, carbs, minor oil leaks, brake calipers sticking because they did not get ridden enough. I'm thinking about going down to 2..maybe the ST and a CB either 13 or 14 depending on how the 14 looks in person.
 
I have two.....and want one more......
2014 250L enduro
2013 cb 1100 retro sport
???? yet to be determined cruiser, gonna wait and get a good deal on a used one......no hurry though....
 
Multiple bikes are great — as long as one of them is a CB1100. I'd love to add two dirt bikes to the lineup (one for me and one for my son). In my case that would mean that my Hawk GT would have to go. I'm not too fond of that thought.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top