Touring Australia

Thread starter
noroomtomove_imp said:
OK, here we go final post from me on this topic.
I spoke to Vicroads today and ran your situation up the flag pole and this is the response in short.

Being from Canada and having a drivers license with your photo on it. A valid Passport showing your recent arrival and being in possession of a VISA card you would be good to go in Victoria.
You fall in the Itinerant / Backpacker category and although not advertised as this pathway to registration could be open to abuse, it is possible to start your adventure in Australia in Victoria on a Motorcycle registered in your name.

I could not think of a better part of Australia to buy a bike and start your journey.

By Australian standards Victoria is cold so the sooks don't ride for six months of the year here. So you could pick up a bike that's not that old with low milage at the end of warmer months say April at a good price. You see Comarnus and Petrodactyl live where it's always good for a ride so you don't get the same end of riding season flood of bikes on the market. Just check out ( bikesales.com.au ) use the location function and check out what is for sale in the various Sates.

Victoria is a small State by Australian standard with a higher population density so for the first week or so whilst you are getting used to the ways and means you'll be in an area with more human stuff.

I've run out of time and words for now but might post part two latter on .

Regards

Noroomtomove
(so thats a twist on words here where I live lots of room to move)
Thanks, I'll re-activate the project. Do I assume correctly that in order to register the vehicle, I would need to show a proof of liability insurance. In all Canadian provinces, this is arranged through a commercial insurance broker. Is that the same in Victoria?
 
We don't do compulsory liability insurance as you would call it here in Victoria we have the TAC or the transport accident commision and the TAC Fee is part of your registration other states are different. Australia is a federation of States so registration is not the same in each one though it's ok to ride in all States with Victorian registration. Insurance costs vary my comprehensive insurance with the state automobile club RACV costs me about $240 for a year but this is dependant on age and the type of bike it can cost $1200.
I spoke to four different people at Vicroads and ended up in the policy department so am confident in the information. I took some time and required straight talking.

Hope this is help and that others get something out of it, when Down Under don't forget Tasmania by some referred to as the island with 10000 bends in the road.

And that's me done for the night, time for a cuppa.

Regards
 
Gee, well done, noroomtomove. An act of great kindness.

Rotor, in all States of Australia compulsory third party (CTP) insurance is mandatory with registration. There are plenty of options for additional comprehensive insurance.

Got me, Pterodactyl. :thumbsup: Strangely I wish I had time to do some more research on this. Must be sick.
 
In synch with noroomtomove I also spent some time on the telephone with Service NSW*, with much the same result. They were not at all fazed by non-residents (of the bona-fide variety) registering motor vehicles in NSW. This registration, if valid in NSW, is then usable in all Australian States and Territories. They were very vague about the address situation but finally firmed it to, and I quote, "a garaging address to which notices can be sent by post". Pressed as to what this meant, it appears that it doesn't require the vehicle to be garaged there, in fact a physical garage is not required, only a mail box associated with a street address. The non-resident does not have to live there, just be able to receive notices sent to that address. Confused? Well I was. However, at no stage was it even hinted that there was any difficulty enacting what Rotor proposes. He would, of course, have to have a valid Canadian licence specifically endorsed for motorcycles (see one of the previous links I posted), a means of photo identification of a certain "point value" (a passport fulfils this) and a valid visa.

Cheers.

*Service NSW. I am aware of a saying that the more "Democratics" or "Peoples" there are in the name of a country the less concern there is for either democracy or people in these countries. After listening to 40minutes of elevator music, interspersed with "Your call is important to us, and will be attended to .......", I have concluded that Service also falls into this category.
Cormanus_imp said:
Gee, well done, noroomtomove. An act of great kindness.

Rotor, in all States of Australia compulsory third party (CTP) insurance is mandatory with registration. There are plenty of options for additional comprehensive insurance.

Got me, Pterodactyl. :thumbsup: Strangely I wish I had time to do some more research on this. Must be sick.
Well yes, mate, but a Gotcha of the most humble variety. If it wasn't for your thoroughness, and attention to detail, we on this forum would be the poorer for it.

Cheers
 
Another act of generosity, Pterodactyl. I haven't been able to hit the phones to talk to Smart Service Queensland* but I did look at the Queensland legislation briefly this morning and it didn't quite align with the advice given on the department's internet site. I'd want to do more work, but it didn't look to me that there was any legislative requirement for the person registering the vehicle to be a resident of Australia.

As I said, I'm interested in the answer to the question, but I don't quite have time to look into it further.

Good luck, rotor.




*See Pterodactyl's post here about the use of the word Service. Adding the word Smart simply tells yo the exposure to elevator music will be a deal longer.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all!

When I start the trek (2016 most likely), I'll certainly let you all know how I got to the point where down under my rear end was firmly planted between two wheels, with a license plate behind it, one which says I'm breaking no law rolling along. I'll try to be very specific (what I did and who/where I spoke to when I got those license plates), as I am convinced there are others with the same designs.
 
Good. We'll look forward to hearing.

And, if you want any gratuitous advice, some of us at least will be happy to off itinerary suggestions.

Good luck with the planning.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Good. We'll look forward to hearing.

And, if you want any gratuitous advice, some of us at least will be happy to off itinerary suggestions.

Good luck with the planning.
I know the country quite well, so putting together the itinerary will be half the fun, but also entirely dependent on my time-table. But, assuming that I'll have up to three or four months, in two or more segments of between a month and two, what are in the expert opinions of those present and kind enough to comment, the locales worthy of special consideration, or simply not to be missed? And also, what are the seasons to be avoided or completely impractical for motorcycle travel in which specific regions? (I was in Brisbane during the flood of 2010/11).

Would large motorcycle dealerships in major Australian cities (those with overseas airline connections) typically offer long-term bike storage services and what would be expected monthly rates?
 
No idea about bike storage, rotor. Sorry.

The summer in Queensland is trick due to frequent storms in the afternoon. Brisbane to Sydney via the various roads up and down the Great Dividing Range offers plenty of twisty and interesting routes. See a report by Mr Tim somewhere on the forum for the Nullabor.
 
I have followed this thread with interest despite the fact that my finances put travel to Australia out for now. You Aussie fellows should consider writing a travel guide for motorcyclists. Your research has been extensive so far on this single subject of registration. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
One last question, if I may:

In Canada (all the provinces, I believe) a person who has only an automobile driver license (i.e., not one with the "motorcycle class"), can not register a motorcycle in his or her name. The reason is simple: no insurance company would sell such an individual the liability insurance, and without this the registration is simply not possible. Would the same be the case in Australian states? If I understood one of the previous answers correctly, the liability insurance fee is paid to the government as part of the registration, and not something that involves a separate transaction with a private insurance company.

The reason for asking is this:

I could possibly find an Australian who would be willing to buy (with my money, of course) and register the motorcycle as the owner, and then simply let me use it. He himself would not be able to ride it without breaking the law, but he has no interest or need to do it.

tia, Rotor
 
rotor_imp said:
One last question, if I may:

In Canada (all the provinces, I believe) a person who has only an automobile driver license (i.e., not one with the "motorcycle class"), can not register a motorcycle in his or her name. The reason is simple: no insurance company would sell such an individual the liability insurance, and without this the registration is simply not possible. Would the same be the case in Australian states? If I understood one of the previous answers correctly, the liability insurance fee is paid to the government as part of the registration, and not something that involves a separate transaction with a private insurance company.

The reason for asking is this:

I could possibly find an Australian who would be willing to buy (with my money, of course) and register the motorcycle as the owner, and then simply let me use it. He himself would not be able to ride it without breaking the law, but he has no interest or need to do it.

tia, Rotor
A bitbof an aside, but ICBC (the provincial insurer in BC) will, for some unknown reason, sell you insurance for vehicles you don't have a license to operate. This is despite the fact that getting in an accident like this would lead to no coverage due to violating the terms of your insurance.

You see this alot here with class-a motorhomes and motorcycles. An RCMP officer I occasionally ride with has told me that during peak summer months about 1 in 5 people he stops on bikes don't have motorcycle licenses.
 
Thread starter
kmoney_imp said:
rotor_imp said:
One last question, if I may:

In Canada (all the provinces, I believe) a person who has only an automobile driver license (i.e., not one with the "motorcycle class"), can not register a motorcycle in his or her name. The reason is simple: no insurance company would sell such an individual the liability insurance, and without this the registration is simply not possible. Would the same be the case in Australian states? If I understood one of the previous answers correctly, the liability insurance fee is paid to the government as part of the registration, and not something that involves a separate transaction with a private insurance company.

The reason for asking is this:

I could possibly find an Australian who would be willing to buy (with my money, of course) and register the motorcycle as the owner, and then simply let me use it. He himself would not be able to ride it without breaking the law, but he has no interest or need to do it.

tia, Rotor
A bitbof an aside, but ICBC (the provincial insurer in BC) will, for some unknown reason, sell you insurance for vehicles you don't have a license to operate. This is despite the fact that getting in an accident like this would lead to no coverage due to violating the terms of your insurance.

You see this alot here with class-a motorhomes and motorcycles. An RCMP officer I occasionally ride with has told me that during peak summer months about 1 in 5 people he stops on bikes don't have motorcycle licenses.
This is not entirely without merit, one might own a class-a motorhome and hire a chauffeur/valet, with an appropriate license, to drive him around. In principle, same as me driving a motorcycle that belongs to my Australian relative who does not have a m/c class license.
 
Rotor, I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd be surprised. Australian law distinguishes between being the owner and being the registered operator. Can't see that a registered operator would have to have a m/c license; he or she would just not be able to ride it on a public road.

But you'd be wise to check with one of the State registration authorities.
 
Enzo! Long time no post! How're you doing? Where's that CB?
 
Oy ......been in Port Augusta 12months...unreal.
Da Bike she's in Rosewood.
Sold....me XL500 & 185
The CB has only 7000k.
Coming back to Rosewood on the 4th Sept, for a week.
I think the tyres are a bit cuss, been the original
 
Back
Top