Torque values for replacing Front fork top caps please

IndianRider_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hello all ,

Dove in to the front forks and switching out the fork oil to 5W first to see how it goes along with the Kawi gaiters ..

Can anyone please share the Torque specs for front fork top caps (the 24 0r 25 mm bolts) .. Thanks in advance and mine is 2013 model so any year should be close enough for a start
 
It is referred to as Fork Bolt in the '13 service manual, but I like your name better :)

Torque spec: 22Nm or 2.2kgf-m or 16 ft lbs.
 
ya beat me as usual popgun

and it takes a 24 mm wrench
 
LOL! I would have gotten it sooner Ferret, but I got home late :)

The nut size is not listed in the manual, but like Ferret said, it is 24mm. I just put a wrench on it. Most likely Ferret did too.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
LOL! I would have gotten it sooner Ferret, but I got home late :)

The nut size is not listed in the manual, but like Ferret said, it is 24mm. I just put a wrench on it. Most likely Ferret did too.
yeppers..had to go to the garage and see what wrench fit. Would be nice if they told you what size wrench to use in the manual.
 
Thread starter
Thanks a lot guys .. Im harbor freight and your replies were telepathic just in time .. cheers


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Get a 6 point wrench, not a 12 point!
 
5w? what weight comes in it stock? ok, quick search revealed a post that says 10w. why would you go lighter than stock? sounds risky to me... gaiters just keep dust off right? they aren't like springs are they? having given it more thought... as bad as many people's front tires scallop with the stock 10w... if you go with 5w, you may half the life of your front tire too... just thinking out loud. not knocking you. i'm just guessing based on running heavier oil in the race bike...
 
Gaiters are just rubber (or some such). No suspension help from them. They just keep rock hits and stuff off the forks.
 
Thread starter
jimgl353,

This the first of my experiment going to 5w, then 7w then 15w etc..etc.. only as needed .. I normally start with softest/lowest setting and work myself up just like with preload as my preference is as soft and mushy enough to get the job done on our somewhat beat up bay area roads .. definitely dont like stiff settings unless on nice tarmac ..

Since the seat is being modified by Spencer in Florida ( GreatDayToRide.com has the largest selection of motorcycle equipment and parts including Accessories, Helmets, motorcycle Gear, Air and Fuel, 4-Wheel, Gloves, motorcycle Exhaust Pipes, Tops, Brakes, motorcycle Handlebars, motorcycle Seats, Footwear, Pants, motorcycle Windshields, Cables, motorcycle Wheels ), its like I have nothing better to do with the wet/cold conditions and I just love using the front pit bull stand to take stuff off now and then .. Cheers
1927f0d6e6909d84ee5958c0c38704f0.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ferret_imp said:
Get a 6 point wrench, not a 12 point!
Got it Sir ..:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what fork oil looks like in 3 yrs and only 2500 miles . My other bikes didn't look so dark even after 5yrs and 10-15k miles ..

Replacement pro Honda 5w looks much lighter


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Wonder what the front fork oil in my ST looks like after 8 years and 86,000 miles lol
 
jimgl353_imp said:
ah! did not even consider that the roads may suck near you... the things we take for granted!
Roads? What roads? All we ave are streams now...lol.
 
You know... if someone had a spare set of fork tubes; I'd be willing see if it's possible to drill, mill & tap a hole on the bottom for a drain bolt/sealing washer.

Just thinking :idea:
 
Razor_imp said:
You know... if someone had a spare set of fork tubes; I'd be willing see if it's possible to drill, mill & tap a hole on the bottom for a drain bolt/sealing washer.

Just thinking :idea:
That's a very interesting thought :thumbsup:

Having to disassemble the entire front end to change the fork oil is such a PITA and why it rarely gets done.
 
Thread starter
Update:

I Just cleaned out the stock dirty 10w fork oil and replaced it with 5W honda fork oil ...

Took a few rides in the local twisties and the rough local roads and 5W fork oil was the right way to go not the other 10/15/20 grades .. Very smooth and comfy on rough pavement and no more bouncing high rebound feel from the stock 10w fork oil

Settled on 4 circles showing on front preload and second softest setting on rear for my 185-190 weight with gear and very nice soft and plush feeling without bottoming out at all even in heavy front braking

I'm still wondering why the stock springs are considered too soft for this weight range with preload within range .. For my skills and preference the 5w oil is a fantastic solution to smoothen the ride

I once used auto tranny fluid (ATF) on a 1978 CB750 forks and that felt better so will try the ATF next fork oil change
 
Back
Top