Top Gun house visited by a CB1100

Havasu Secret_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
If you know me, then you know I am a HUGE fan of the movie TOP GUN. So today, I got to check off one of my bucket list items. The house that Kelly McGillis (Charlie) asks Tom Cruise (Maverick) over for dinner... is still standing in Oceanside California. I found it !!! A developer moved it a few 100 feet from the corner it was on so they could build condos on the corner. The Oceanside Historical Society declared the "Top Gun" house a historical landmark because of the movie. They are currently renovating it and making it an Ice Cream Store. Here is me and my CB1100 at the same house from TOP GUN !!! YEAH !!!

65507124c3d4da5ddf6bb0583517d221.jpg


6d63b275744d6653dd02e6c8b1466d5c.jpg


80c0892512df345fff755b8724c56dd0.jpg


6b14c1ce6998b82ddc163a6c8b8298c9.jpg


214570b2fbdb9e2c9760110cfea04b87.jpg


fc2e7cd5717d727945420f1ac84bc141.jpg
 
Good work Havasu Secret.
 
Very cool, and congrats on checking off a bucket list item.

Good movie. I think they are making a sequel.
 
Wow, that's cool! This is funny... I rode past it on the CB300R on Sunday bringing the bike home from Mom's house near Carlsbad, didn't even realize that's the house!

Thinking about it, I've ridden by the bar where they filmed the "You Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" scene dozens of times. Next time I'll have to grab a pic.

Top Gun was probably the best recruiting tool the Navy had in the 80s. Suckered me in at least. They didn’t keep me around long after I found out I wasn’t going to get an F14 or a hot girlfriend with a Porsche.
 
My brain doesn't always engage like it should... read the title of this thread:

Top Gun house visited by a CB1100

... and I thought, holyheck, people are visiting "gun houses" on their CB1100 and they are actually rating the different gun houses they visit. This is is going to be an ineresting thread and then I opened the thread and...oh...Top Gun...Cruise...and then the music took over my brain...sigh!
 
That's when I went to a military-style haircut. Alas, the military no longer has a need for me and I no longer have a need for a haircut. Great pics and a great trip down memory lane.

"That's right, Ice...man. I'm dangerous"
 
pdedse_imp said:
My brain doesn't always engage like it should... read the title of this thread:

Top Gun house visited by a CB1100

... and I thought, holyheck, people are visiting "gun houses" on their CB1100 and they are actually rating the different gun houses they visit. This is is going to be an ineresting thread and then I opened the thread and...oh...Top Gun...Cruise...and then the music took over my brain...sigh!
:rofl:
 
I immediately knew what the title was about. And yes, now I have the music stuck in my head, thank you.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I immediately knew what the title was about. And yes, now I have the music stuck in my head, thank you.
"Danger Zone", "Playing With The Boys", or "Take My Breath Away"? I don't really care which one, really....just wanted to stick two more songs in your head this morning. You're welcome. ;)
 
Ha.. Picture the opening scene in your head... the deck handlers working around steam and smoke, with planes taking off and landing. The dramatic Hans Zimmer music playing during that scene. At our events, before the cars roll up to the starting line for the first runs of the day, sometimes they play that music over the PA as the track prep crew is working. Sort of pumps you up, even if it will be Camaros and Mustangs launching, not F14s and A6s.
 
Thread starter
So this weekend I went back to the Top Gun House in Carlsbad and took a few more pics of my 2014 CB1100 in front of the house. I was so excited to hear about Top Gun 2 Maverick will FINALLY be released in May. YEAH!!!

84808c7dee0b181ed9b442cbad8fa533.jpg


c9ad4b8f4fa751ecf500769683b8ab4c.jpg


24228b5bfa62af36501750fd50817a93.jpg



b098ee32e13baf597dd5ebcd368de051.jpg
 
Havasu Secret_imp said:
If you know me, then you know I am a HUGE fan of the movie TOP GUN. So today, I got to check off one of my bucket list items. The house that Kelly McGillis (Charlie) asks Tom Cruise (Maverick) over for dinner... is still standing in Oceanside California. I found it !!! A developer moved it a few 100 feet from the corner it was on so they could build condos on the corner. The Oceanside Historical Society declared the "Top Gun" house a historical landmark because of the movie. They are currently renovating it and making it an Ice Cream Store. Here is me and my CB1100 at the same house from TOP GUN !!! YEAH !!!

65507124c3d4da5ddf6bb0583517d221.jpg


6d63b275744d6653dd02e6c8b1466d5c.jpg


80c0892512df345fff755b8724c56dd0.jpg


6b14c1ce6998b82ddc163a6c8b8298c9.jpg


214570b2fbdb9e2c9760110cfea04b87.jpg


fc2e7cd5717d727945420f1ac84bc141.jpg
I was out there some years back visiting my son while he was in the USMC. At the time, the house had been up for auction for 1 cent!!!!! All you had to do, was move it and keep it together. There were NO takers. I too loved that movie, and as I stood there looking at the house, not being kept up so well at the time, wondered why none of these billionaires just didn't buy it to keep the memories alive. WE, Americans are so quick to tear down old buildings to put up new condos. We have so little culture as a country, I always have thought old buildings are just about IT! If I had had the money, I would have bought it for a penny and moved it to a lot outside of Lockhart, Texas, where the dry air would help, and it would have fit in nicely with all the really cool old homes there. Just dreaming......
PS...When I was there, there was nothing around it, nothing, just the beach across the street!
 
michael1954_imp said:
Havasu Secret_imp said:
If you know me, then you know I am a HUGE fan of the movie TOP GUN. So today, I got to check off one of my bucket list items. The house that Kelly McGillis (Charlie) asks Tom Cruise (Maverick) over for dinner... is still standing in Oceanside California. I found it !!! A developer moved it a few 100 feet from the corner it was on so they could build condos on the corner. The Oceanside Historical Society declared the "Top Gun" house a historical landmark because of the movie. They are currently renovating it and making it an Ice Cream Store. Here is me and my CB1100 at the same house from TOP GUN !!! YEAH !!!

65507124c3d4da5ddf6bb0583517d221.jpg


6d63b275744d6653dd02e6c8b1466d5c.jpg


80c0892512df345fff755b8724c56dd0.jpg


6b14c1ce6998b82ddc163a6c8b8298c9.jpg


214570b2fbdb9e2c9760110cfea04b87.jpg


fc2e7cd5717d727945420f1ac84bc141.jpg
I was out there some years back visiting my son while he was in the USMC. At the time, the house had been up for auction for 1 cent!!!!! All you had to do, was move it and keep it together. There were NO takers. I too loved that movie, and as I stood there looking at the house, not being kept up so well at the time, wondered why none of these billionaires just didn't buy it to keep the memories alive. WE, Americans are so quick to tear down old buildings to put up new condos. We have so little culture as a country, I always have thought old buildings are just about IT! If I had had the money, I would have bought it for a penny and moved it to a lot outside of Lockhart, Texas, where the dry air would help, and it would have fit in nicely with all the really cool old homes there. Just dreaming......
PS...When I was there, there was nothing around it, nothing, just the beach across the street!
Not just the U.S., Toronto, Ontario, Canada and much of the surrounding region is the same - arguably worse than the U.S. Example: At least in Detroit and Cleveland they are successfully saving late 19th and early 20th century building artifacts for reuse. Some efforts are just glorious.
 
Back
Top