Tools

dave

Road warrior
Thread starter
I am looking for high-quality wrenches that fit the 22mm front axel nut and the 27 mm rear axel nut that can be stored beneath the seat on my 2014 Deluxe. My 1976 Honda CB750F came with a really nice (but low quality) set of tools that had a wrench that slide into a separate handle (extender) that fit the rear axle nut, and can be stored beneath the seat. Can anybody make a recommendation? Thanks.
 
Dave_imp said:
I am looking for high-quality wrenches that fit the 22mm front axel nut and the 27 mm rear axel nut that can be stored beneath the seat on my 2014 Deluxe. My 1976 Honda CB750F came with a really nice (but low quality) set of tools that had a wrench that slide into a separate handle (extender) that fit the rear axle nut, and can be stored beneath the seat. Can anybody make a recommendation? Thanks.
Eastbound.shop sell a tyre lever kit and axle spanners that might work for you. I have no experience of them, just saw them mentioned on the internet.
 
Honda has a tool kit for the CB1100, but it doesn't come with the bike like every other Honda I've ever bought. The tools aren't the highest quality but it's highly portable and each item will work. I bought the complete set and filled the snap top bag. It only uses a small portion of the space under the seat.
 
Dave i would look at an adjustable crescent, maybe 8" and test if it fits and can undo the bolts, takes up less space than two spanners and would fit most bolts on the bike and any other bike if need be.
( why would you remove the rear wheel ? )
You would use it very occasionally anyway, i have a small 4" one on the bike, haven't used it though, good luck.
 
Honda has these tools available:
A) 99006-27000 27mm ring spanner
B) 99006-12000 wrench extension
C) 99006-22000 22mm ring spanner

Should be about $12-$15 total.
The rear axle is a 22mm, the nut a 27mm self-locking, so a single wrench would not keep the other end from spinning - you need a wrench at both ends.

Not the best quality, but they will not fail the task - never seen or heard of one of these wrenches rounding or failing. Also very compact, as the extension sleeve stores on either one of the handles.

 
LakeWylieJoe_imp said:
Honda has a tool kit for the CB1100, but it doesn't come with the bike like every other Honda I've ever bought. The tools aren't the highest quality but it's highly portable and each item will work. I bought the complete set and filled the snap top bag. It only uses a small portion of the space under the seat.
It does in Europe but there are no axle spanners in it. Do you not even get a spanner, wth an extension handle, to adjust the rear shock?
 
Mine came with the rear shock spanner, and that's all.

Tev62_imp said:
LakeWylieJoe_imp said:
Honda has a tool kit for the CB1100, but it doesn't come with the bike like every other Honda I've ever bought. The tools aren't the highest quality but it's highly portable and each item will work. I bought the complete set and filled the snap top bag. It only uses a small portion of the space under the seat.
It does in Europe but there are no axle spanners in it. Do you not even get a spanner, wth an extension handle, to adjust the rear shock?
It does in Europe but there are no axle spanners in it. Do you not even get a spanner, wth an extension handle, to adjust the rear shock?
 
The ‘13s in the US came with a fuse puller, a 5mm allen wrench and I think a screwdriver. I had to buy a shock spanner. I think Canada got the full kit as shown in the part fiche.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The ‘13s in the US came with a fuse puller, a 5mm allen wrench and I think a screwdriver. I had to buy a shock spanner. I think Canada got the full kit as shown in the part fiche.
Honda repeated that same lame habit on the 2017, '18, '19 and '20 Africa Twin in North America probably because it worked before on the CB.
 
I wonder, if they put a full tool kit as a standard feature on the bike do they have to include it as part of the official "wet weight" (or running weight) in the specifications?
 
When I bought my CB it had only a couple of tools as mentioned above. I asked the dealer about the rest and he ordered them in free of charge.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Honda has these tools available:
A) 99006-27000 27mm ring spanner
B) 99006-12000 wrench extension
C) 99006-22000 22mm ring spanner

Should be about $12-$15 total.
The rear axle is a 22mm, the nut a 27mm self-locking, so a single wrench would not keep the other end from spinning - you need a wrench at both ends.

Not the best quality, but they will not fail the task - never seen or heard of one of these wrenches rounding or failing. Also very compact, as the extension sleeve stores on either one of the handles.
Hi Max, thanks for your reply. I carry a small crescent wrench now, but was looking for something more robust for the rear axel. I like to be prepared, and who knows, someday I might need to remove the wheels to repair a flat. I know they can be plugged without removing from the bike, but if the tire couldn't be plugged it's a lot easier to transport the wheel to a nearby shop for a new tire than it is to transport the entire bike.
 
Tev62_imp said:
I wonder, if they put a full tool kit as a standard feature on the bike do they have to include it as part of the official "wet weight" (or running weight) in the specifications?
Yes, in theory.

For example, in cars, they have to include the spare wheel, the tools... when calculating running weight
 
Hey Dave ... I have been adjusting my x-country trips tool kit over the last few years and have nothing for the axle nut. Your post got me thinking. My dad was a small aircraft mechanic for a wide range (1930's - 1990's) of aircraft ... he was always shaping some custom tool to deal with assy challenges. One of his approaches was to devise a single tool composed of multiple segments. One idea for you (to get you thinking), might include creating a leverage bar/tube to slip over a shorter ratchet or box end wrench. For a box end wrench, you might need to cut off one end to allow the bar/tube to be slipped over it. NOW, might the leverage bar/tube fit under the seat where the optional U-Lock is supposed to go? To compact this tool more, you might even have to cut the bar/tube in half to create two halves that you can fit together. Just a thought :)
 
Back
Top