Tool cases

spechg

Running like a top
Thread starter
I decided it was time to improve the decidedly nasty oem plastic tool case that came with my CB, and to put some better tools in it. Having recently spent a day doing a leatherworking course, leather was the obvious choice. The first photo shows 2 cases that fit in the cavity under the seat. The small, darker case is for my fitted earplugs and lives in my jacket pocket.
The second photo shows the lower tool case in situ on the bike and the third photo shows both cases in place before the seat is reattached.


 
Shut up and take my money!! Absolutely beautiful! I would ride with an even bigger smile knowing that was under me.

I'd fake a break-down at popular stopping points just so I could pull out my toolbag.

I'd search for other riders with road-side issues so they could see me take that out and offer up a tool.

Seriously, that's a great idea and looks fantastic. Well done.
 
Looks real nice! Thats a good idea to have some sort of bag in the battery box to make it easier to take everything out when you need it.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Wow! Those are gorgeous! You could definitely make a cottage industry out of supplying leather goods.
And here I'm carrying my under-seat things in sandwich bags...
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow! Those are gorgeous! You could definitely make a cottage industry out of supplying leather goods.
And here I'm carrying my under-seat things in sandwich bags...
... that's what I do!


The primary problem I have with the ziplock sandwich bags are they eventually they break down, even if I do not touch them.

Anyway, I have slowly migrated some tools to canvas zippered sacs.
 
Thread starter
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Beautiful! You obviously paid attention in that class. Now I'll be looking for a leather-working class.
Thank you all for your kind comments. Leatherworking is a bit addictive once you give it a go. Maybe some sort of saddlebag will materialize once my skill levels have advanced a bit.
 
spechg_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Beautiful! You obviously paid attention in that class. Now I'll be looking for a leather-working class.
Thank you all for your kind comments. Leatherworking is a bit addictive once you give it a go. Maybe some sort of saddlebag will materialize once my skill levels have advanced a bit.
Thank you all for your kind comments. Leatherworking is a bit addictive once you give it a go. Maybe some sort of saddlebag will materialize once my skill levels have advanced a bit. Been meaning to get into leather for sheaths. I have done some kydex sheaths but sometimes a knife just belongs in leather.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Spechg, a classic bike deserves a classic toolbox = simply beautiful and unique workmanship!!!!! :clap:
 
Very nice! I wish I had the leather working skills to make one for myself! I'm sort of a tool nut so this is cool.
 
They are excellent spechg. Hats off to you, a great skill. My Grandfather was a leatherworker and had his own saddlery shop in the UK. His claims to fame were he made the saddlery for the Ben Hur movie, not sure how that came about seeing as it was filmed in Italy? Is that one of the over embellished family stories that grow each time it is told? :-) He made the boots the actor was wearing as the character Hermann Göring in the Battle of Britain movie and he was commissioned to make a saddle for the Queen of England.

I reckon you could have a nice little cottage industry going for you there.
 
Tev62_imp said:
They are excellent spechg. Hats off to you, a great skill. My Grandfather was a leatherworker and had his own saddlery shop in the UK. His claims to fame were he made the saddlery for the Ben Hur movie, not sure how that came about seeing as it was filmed in Italy? Is that one of the over embellished family stories that grow each time it is told? :-) He made the boots the actor was wearing as the character Hermann Göring in the Battle of Britain movie and he was commissioned to make a saddle for the Queen of England.

I reckon you could have a nice little cottage industry going for you there.
Well, Spechg would certainly have several sales right off the bat from this thread, myself included. Those are beautiful!
 
Thread starter
Tev62_imp said:
They are excellent spechg. Hats off to you, a great skill. My Grandfather was a leatherworker and had his own saddlery shop in the UK. His claims to fame were he made the saddlery for the Ben Hur movie, not sure how that came about seeing as it was filmed in Italy? Is that one of the over embellished family stories that grow each time it is told? :-) He made the boots the actor was wearing as the character Hermann Göring in the Battle of Britain movie and he was commissioned to make a saddle for the Queen of England.

I reckon you could have a nice little cottage industry going for you there.
Thanks Tev. Interesting story about your grandfather. He was obviously at the top of his game. Perhaps those same skills are embedded in your dna waiting to be unleashed! I wonder where those boots he made for the Hermann Goring character ended up.
 
spechg_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
They are excellent spechg. Hats off to you, a great skill. My Grandfather was a leatherworker and had his own saddlery shop in the UK. His claims to fame were he made the saddlery for the Ben Hur movie, not sure how that came about seeing as it was filmed in Italy? Is that one of the over embellished family stories that grow each time it is told? :-) He made the boots the actor was wearing as the character Hermann Göring in the Battle of Britain movie and he was commissioned to make a saddle for the Queen of England.

I reckon you could have a nice little cottage industry going for you there.
Thanks Tev. Interesting story about your grandfather. He was obviously at the top of his game. Perhaps those same skills are embedded in your dna waiting to be unleashed! I wonder where those boots he made for the Hermann Goring character ended up.
Thanks Tev. Interesting story about your grandfather. He was obviously at the top of his game. Perhaps those same skills are embedded in your dna waiting to be unleashed! I wonder where those boots he made for the Hermann Goring character ended up.
It's not for me unfortunately, hard work on the hands. I already struggle with a bit of arthritis. :s I'd say that actors great nephew or suchlike has those boots sitting in an attic and the connection to the movie is probably well forgotten.

My Grandfather took over from his father both doing their apprenticeship at the shop, a seven year process in the day. Grandad was a WWI veteran and was gassed but made it back. After the war he never wasted a minute of his life knowing how life had been so fleeting for a lot of his mates. In WW2 he was a special constable (Policeman) and I still have his MK2 steel helmet, the typical "tommy" style but in black. The shop has deeds going back to 1649, the year that Charles I was executed, and it is believed that the premises has always been a saddler's. It is known it was one for at least 200 years when my uncle was there. Some of the shop's old beams have been uncovered, salvaged centuries ago from broken-up ship's timbers.

Like my father my grandfather never really retired. Seen here in the shop still making saddles at 85 years old and lived out till 89. People of this generation had a major work ethic, so impressive. He never owned a car, never went on a foreign holiday and it was a long time coming he got an inside toilet!







 
Back
Top