Too many nice bikes for 2016

uscgmac_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I hate it when the new year rolls around and we start to see the 2016 new releases. It always gets my brain spinning and thinking about the possibility of getting something new. Triumph came out with a 1200cc water cooled line of all their retro bikes like the Bonnie and the Truxton. Amazing bikes. Now Yamaha has this xsr 900 Kenny Roberts edition which is also amazing using the FZ09 platform with abs and traction control. Many other incredible new and improved bikes. I have to stop looking or the CB1100 will start to get worried.
 
I'm still a fence sitter...going in to test ride a black 2014 tomorrow...the one thing holding me back is leg ergonomics: the lack of leg room / knee bend angle, shifter peg position...but if it doesn't feel too bad will probably buy. But yeah, all those 2016s and good deals on new 2015s make it tough.


Rocky_imp said:
I agree too, but we have to be strong :D
 
The one thing the CB-1100 solves; The next upgrade bike. Unless they come out with a better retro. :D

But getting a CB short circuits most of the new bike lust as you have already decided to get off the latest and greatest merry-go-round by getting a non-cutting edge machine.

However; it also means that maybe, just maybe, there are other bikes that are similar in their lack of cutting edge-ness that could scratch a certain itch. I'm looking at the Moto Guzzi 1400 California, Norge and the Indian Chief - simply as bikes I've never had and it may be cool to ride them before my days are over.
 
uscgmac_imp said:
The Triumph thruxton R for 2016 may be pretty tough to beat as a modern day true retro cafe bike.
Yup. I love the CB, but that Thruxton R is the first bike I've really lusted over in years. Have yet to see one in person, but photos look amazing.
 
Having ridden a Thruxton, the seating position is a bit too aggressive for my taste... the 2016 Steet Twin Bonny would make a nice addition to the stable! I have had two Bonny Americas in the past and loved those bikes but they were a tad underpowered and the 2016 Americas don't seem to be getting the more potent 1200cc engine. I had 790cc and you would have a hard time getting a speeding ticket in a school zone riding down wind! Power isn't everything but a little more would have been nice. The later 865cc engine actually had less power than the 790cc (less horsepower). The new Bonnys are getting a tad expensive as well... Will have to wait for a 2 or 3 year old garage queen to pop up on CL I guess.
 
Rboe_imp said:
The new Thruxton is getting a lot of positive attention from my buddies in Phoenix.

The complaints I am hearing are that 1) it has a radiator and 2) they have gone from the 360 firing motor like traditional Bonnie twins to a 270 degree firing motor which will ruin the exhaust note

Personally I think it looks too much like the old GT1000 Ducati which I didn't find attractive at all with the rear end stuck way up in the air and the gas tank not parallel to the road surface. The GT1000 also had one of the ugliest seats on the planet which thankfully the Thruxton didn't copy.
 
pdedse_imp said:
I'm still a fence sitter...going in to test ride a black 2014 tomorrow...the one thing holding me back is leg ergonomics: the lack of leg room / knee bend angle, shifter peg position...but if it doesn't feel too bad will probably buy. But yeah, all those 2016s and good deals on new 2015s make it tough.


Rocky_imp said:
I agree too, but we have to be strong :D
Hope you enjoy the test ride. I'm 6'3" and ride a 2014 and find the leg room fine. I often do 300+ days and no problems at all.
 
Back
Top