Tonne Up Tommies - the lot of ya!

Tortuga_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Ok, so after a lifetime of striving for the 'fastest' or the ' sweetest handling' or the 'oohscarybigenginest' bike I could afford to insure I decided I wanted a change. Being over forty :blush: and having a different set of priorities to when in my twenties and early thirties, I wanted to CALM DOWN.

I Started looking for something different, something to break the mould from a life of Japanese inline four cyclones rev monsters.

First it was singles; KTM Duke 390? Nah, too weedy. KTM Duke 690? Nah too singley,
Then it was twins; Moto Guzzi V7? Nah, too small, Ducati Monster 1100? No too hooligan!!:angel:

I swung back and forth and eventually admitted I had bought mostly inline fours from Japan for a good reason, they are bloody brilliant!!

So all I needed was one with good looks, a sensible riding ergo, not too wimpy looking, with a nice smooth, tractable engine. And here I am.......


ONLY TO FIND...most of you seem to be more like teenagers than ME! You're all obsessed with beating this damn restrictor so you don't have to be late everywhere due to your max corner speed of a paltry 115mph.

You all want to 'release the beast', 'nurse the pony', whip the stallion, whatever.

I applaud the mischievous intent, but come on guys you're ruining my speed demon retirement plan! Since I've been reading these 'speed limiter' threads I've been shuffling around in my Schott flight jacket with Ray Ban aviators on singing 'Hiiiighhhway to the DANGERZONE' and high fiving people in shops, howling "I feel the need, the need for SPEED!!"

So come on guys, answer me this:


HOW OFTEN DO YOU INTEND TO EXCEED 115 mph?
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Ok, so after a lifetime of striving for the 'fastest' or the ' sweetest handling' or the 'oohscarybigenginest' bike I could afford to insure I decided I wanted a change. Being over forty :blush: and having a different set of priorities to when in my twenties and early thirties, I wanted to CALM DOWN.

I Started looking for something different, something to break the mould from a life of Japanese inline four cyclones rev monsters.

First it was singles; KTM Duke 390? Nah, too weedy. KTM Duke 690? Nah too singley,
Then it was twins; Moto Guzzi V7? Nah, too small, Ducati Monster 1100? No too hooligan!!:angel:

I swung back and forth and eventually admitted I had bought mostly inline fours from Japan for a good reason, they are bloody brilliant!!

So all I needed was one with good looks, a sensible riding ergo, not too wimpy looking, with a nice smooth, tractable engine. And here I am.......


ONLY TO FIND...most of you seem to be more like teenagers than ME! You're all obsessed with beating this damn restrictor so you don't have to be late everywhere due to your max corner speed of a paltry 115mph.

You all want to 'release the beast', 'nurse the pony', whip the stallion, whatever.

I applaud the mischievous intent, but come on guys you're ruining my speed demon retirement plan! Since I've been reading these 'speed limiter' threads I've been shuffling around in my Schott flight jacket with Ray Ban aviators on singing 'Hiiiighhhway to the DANGERZONE' and high fiving people in shops, howling "I feel the need, the need for SPEED!!"

So come on guys, answer me this:


HOW OFTEN DO YOU INTEND TO EXCEED 115 mph?
Officer:
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Spaceman:
"Do you mean to tell me YOU don't know?"
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Ok, so after a lifetime of striving for the 'fastest' or the ' sweetest handling' or the 'oohscarybigenginest' bike I could afford to insure I decided I wanted a change. Being over forty :blush: and having a different set of priorities to when in my twenties and early thirties, I wanted to CALM DOWN.

I Started looking for something different, something to break the mould from a life of Japanese inline four cyclones rev monsters.

First it was singles; KTM Duke 390? Nah, too weedy. KTM Duke 690? Nah too singley,
Then it was twins; Moto Guzzi V7? Nah, too small, Ducati Monster 1100? No too hooligan!!:angel:

I swung back and forth and eventually admitted I had bought mostly inline fours from Japan for a good reason, they are bloody brilliant!!

So all I needed was one with good looks, a sensible riding ergo, not too wimpy looking, with a nice smooth, tractable engine. And here I am.......


ONLY TO FIND...most of you seem to be more like teenagers than ME! You're all obsessed with beating this damn restrictor so you don't have to be late everywhere due to your max corner speed of a paltry 115mph.

You all want to 'release the beast', 'nurse the pony', whip the stallion, whatever.

I applaud the mischievous intent, but come on guys you're ruining my speed demon retirement plan! Since I've been reading these 'speed limiter' threads I've been shuffling around in my Schott flight jacket with Ray Ban aviators on singing 'Hiiiighhhway to the DANGERZONE' and high fiving people in shops, howling "I feel the need, the need for SPEED!!"

So come on guys, answer me this:


HOW OFTEN DO YOU INTEND TO EXCEED 115 mph?
Officer:
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Spaceman:
"Do you mean to tell me YOU don't know?"
Officer:
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Spaceman:
"Do you mean to tell me YOU don't know?"
Ha. I love it!

Like the time the speedo packed up on my FJ1200...

Traffic officer: "how fast were you going before your brake light came on?"

Me: "I have absolutely no idea officer"

Traffic officer: "well by the time we'd got a reading you'd been braking for a few hundred yards, and we clocked you at 112.6mph"

Me: "My speedo's broken"

Traffic officer: "Just take a seat in our car for a minute..."

Come to think of it, I can get in JUST as much trouble now!! (So long as I don't touch the brakes lol) :excited:
 
What the hey? 45 mph for the Ferret? I know I'm old, but jeezalou, I've been faster than that! I can tell you my old CB 11 never saw the ton. My new one will not see the ton. I have no desire to see the ton. My old CB 11 never came close to the rev limiter, my new one won't come close to the rev limiter. Have no desire to have my bike's ecu re-flashed or whatever it's called (would like someone to point it out to me someday if it's something you can see). I don't care that my bike is limited by either speed or revs. I lived thru my fast riding days (got pulled over once after being caught on radar doing 125 in a 25 on a Honda CBX...and got out of the ticket lol), my bouncing off the redline phase, my let me see how fast I can make it thru this corner phase and I'm so thankful for that. Now I'm just happy to be out riding around at the speed limit +- 5 mph or so, enjoying life and the road ahead, for as long as I am able.
 
I don't yet have a CB11, so I voted the fastest I've gone on a bicycle (since GPS' were invented anyway.)

I hate it when they say, "Do you know why I pulled you over sir?"
 
OK. I confess. I went over the magic 100 twice: once because I'd never before owned a bike that could; the other time in the interests of science to see if I could hit the speed limiter so I could verify the Australian model has it. I bottled the second attempt just before hitting the limit. I doubt I'll be doing it again. I'm not quite as old as the Ferret, but I'm generally pretty happy with the speed limit.

Still, Tortuga, I think one of the answers to the question of why people want to get round the limiter is because it's there.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
What the hey? 45 mph for the Ferret? I know I'm old, but jeezalou, I've been faster than that! I can tell you my old CB 11 never saw the ton. My new one will not see the ton. I have no desire to see the ton. My old CB 11 never came close to the rev limiter, my new one won't come close to the rev limiter. Have no desire to have my bike's ecu re-flashed or whatever it's called (would like someone to point it out to me someday if it's something you can see). I don't care that my bike is limited by either speed or revs. I lived thru my fast riding days (got pulled over once after being caught on radar doing 125 in a 25 on a Honda CBX...and got out of the ticket lol), my bouncing off the redline phase, my let me see how fast I can make it thru this corner phase and I'm so thankful for that. Now I'm just happy to be out riding around at the speed limit +- 5 mph or so, enjoying life and the road ahead, for as long as I am able.
Good answer, and a good attitude. I'll be right there cruisin' along behind you ferret! I may be a wee bit younger than you, but I don't want to bring on my early demise yet!

P.S. I only put 45 for you because I knew you'd bite :D ferrets are always bitey little critters.. ;)
Cormanus_imp said:
OK. I confess. I went over the magic 100 twice: once because I'd never before owned a bike that could; the other time in the interests of science to see if I could hit the speed limiter so I could verify the Australian model has it. I bottled the second attempt just before hitting the limit. I doubt I'll be doing it again. I'm not quite as old as the Ferret, but I'm generally pretty happy with the speed limit.

Still, Tortuga, I think one of the answers to the question of why people want to get round the limiter is because it's there.
I pushed it a bit up a hill chasing a guy on a Thruxton the other day. Nothing monumentally fast but made me feel sick and guilty afterwards. Not worth it really in the big scheme of things... :-/
Aussieflyer_imp said:
... if someone has the time to work out how to bypass the limiter then share that with the rest of us - that's cool by me.
I wasn't berating the speed demons (other than tongue in cheek) and follow the quest to 'crack the jap cap' as much as the next man.

I'm sure we'll have some YouTube footage of someone maxing one out at 145 or something before long!
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Ok, so after a lifetime of striving for the 'fastest' or the ' sweetest handling' or the 'oohscarybigenginest' bike I could afford to insure I decided I wanted a change. Being over forty :blush: and having a different set of priorities to when in my twenties and early thirties, I wanted to CALM DOWN.

I Started looking for something different, something to break the mould from a life of Japanese inline four cyclones rev monsters.

First it was singles; KTM Duke 390? Nah, too weedy. KTM Duke 690? Nah too singley,
Then it was twins; Moto Guzzi V7? Nah, too small, Ducati Monster 1100? No too hooligan!!:angel:

I swung back and forth and eventually admitted I had bought mostly inline fours from Japan for a good reason, they are bloody brilliant!!

So all I needed was one with good looks, a sensible riding ergo, not too wimpy looking, with a nice smooth, tractable engine. And here I am.......


ONLY TO FIND...most of you seem to be more like teenagers than ME! You're all obsessed with beating this damn restrictor so you don't have to be late everywhere due to your max corner speed of a paltry 115mph.

You all want to 'release the beast', 'nurse the pony', whip the stallion, whatever.

I applaud the mischievous intent, but come on guys you're ruining my speed demon retirement plan! Since I've been reading these 'speed limiter' threads I've been shuffling around in my Schott flight jacket with Ray Ban aviators on singing 'Hiiiighhhway to the DANGERZONE' and high fiving people in shops, howling "I feel the need, the need for SPEED!!"

So come on guys, answer me this:


HOW OFTEN DO YOU INTEND TO EXCEED 115 mph?
Officer:
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Spaceman:
"Do you mean to tell me YOU don't know?"
Officer:
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Spaceman:
"Do you mean to tell me YOU don't know?"
Officer:
"I've been waiting for you all day!
Little Johnny:
"Well I got here as fast as I could."
 
Well I must admit I have seen the limiter. 2 maybe 3 times. Honda sold me a slow bike. You guys say you been hitting it at 113-114?
I can only get 111 out of mine.

aff7d42cbc59ed4825a72e8672010bd1.jpg


One of my speeding tickets started:
Cop: Why were you going so fast?
Me: I got the ****s and am looking for a bathroom?
Cop: You need new material like I havn't heard that one before.

He takes my DL and registration goes back to his car. Comes back to me after a good 20 minutes with the ticket in his hand:

Cop: Well, did you crap your pants sir?
Me: No I did not officer.
Cop: I didn't think so, have a nice day
 
Shoulda pooped. He would probably have let you off with a warning.
New pants and drawers are a lot cheaper than a ticket, and you would have had a more triumphant story to tell.
 
Ole_imp said:
Well I must admit I have seen the limiter. 2 maybe 3 times. Honda sold me a slow bike. You guys say you been hitting it at 113-114?
I can only get 111 out of mine.

aff7d42cbc59ed4825a72e8672010bd1.jpg


One of my speeding tickets started:
Cop: Why were you going so fast?
Me: I got the ****s and am looking for a bathroom?
Cop: You need new material like I havn't heard that one before.

He takes my DL and registration goes back to his car. Comes back to me after a good 20 minutes with the ticket in his hand:

Cop: Well, did you crap your pants sir?
Me: No I did not officer.
Cop: I didn't think so, have a nice day
I've bounced off the limiter a few times. The first time I was watching pretty closely and although the limiter seemed to kick in at 112, the speedo needle briefly continued to 115 before dropping to 110. It could have been inertia :-/

As far as the limiter is concerned, I don't lose any sleep over it. If it wasn't there, I'd probably try to see what the bike could do just once. I tend to do that with most of my vehicles. My CB750 topped out at 127 mph back in the late 90s and hasn't seen that speed since.

The most hilarious was topping out my '69 Mercury convertible. It was my 1st ragtop and I wasn't fully aware of how the top would expand like a bubble as speeds increased. I got it to 130 mph and the front end was feeling a bit light. Just before letting off the accelerator there was a big "bang!" and things got noisy and windy. I nearly ruined the driver's seat upholstery. Turned out the the top had expanded so much that the glass rear window (which was glued to the fabric) separated from the top and was smashed into the trunk by the 130 mph breeze.
 
calamarichris_imp said:
Shoulda pooped. He would probably have let you off with a warning.
New pants and drawers are a lot cheaper than a ticket, and you would have had a more triumphant story to tell.
Some how I almost agree with that logic......:beerchug:
 
I hit the limiter once, just to see what happens, it kind of felt like a stall, for lack of a better description. I don't know exactly what the speedometer said, it was on top of 110 mph when I looked down. I was too busy hanging on and paying attention to the road to watch the speedometer carefully enough to read it exactly.

I had several fast bikes, (very fast for their day), when I was young, none of them had a speed limiter, (it would have been unthinkable). Now, I don't care about the speed limiter, I knew about it when I purchased the bike. Truth is, when I was riding for speed, it was the acceleration that I found more thrilling. Although I very regularly saw the "ton", I only occasionally topped my bikes out.

Now I like just going for a relaxed ride, I am more than content to keep it within say, 10 mph or so of the speed limit.
 
I can't believe I screwed that vote up...:s

I had my max speed at 85-90 and then we started all the talk about the limiter and I had to look for it. Mine appears to cut out at exactly 115 anf turns back on when it drops below 112.
Now it no longer bothers my and I'm back to happily staying under 90.:biker:
 
In South Florida we have a wonderful institution known as Traffic Lawyers. Within a week or so after getting a ticket or being involved in an accident, you'll receive a dozen letters from various attorney firms around the area.

The best one is also the original, whom I've used many times (too many times) over the years: http://www.theticketclinic.com. These guys are awesome, for $75 they make the ticket go away. No points, no fees, no fines, in the vast majority of cases. Once or twice I had to take the online "Traffic School" class (what a joke that is), but most times nothing at all. Compared to the outrageous fines they're charging these days for simple speeding, $75 is basically free!

On one hand I hate to see our judicial system twisted around like this, but OTOH the cops and courts bring it on themselves with speed traps etc. My last ticket was 83 in a 65 zone on the Florida Turnpike. The average speed there is easily 85+, and 6 or so troopers were pulling people over and issuing tickets as fast as they could. That's not about safety; it's about revenue.
 
calamarichris_imp said:
I don't yet have a CB11, so I voted the fastest I've gone on a bicycle (since GPS' were invented anyway.)

I hate it when they say, "Do you know why I pulled you over sir?"
They are assessing your demeanor with that question. A bit of a minefield, as they don't care about the straight answer but how you answer.

My attitude, they have you by the short hairs; best be straight up with them and take your medicine like a man.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
calamarichris_imp said:
I don't yet have a CB11, so I voted the fastest I've gone on a bicycle (since GPS' were invented anyway.)

I hate it when they say, "Do you know why I pulled you over sir?"
They are assessing your demeanor with that question. A bit of a minefield, as they don't care about the straight answer but how you answer.

My attitude, they have you by the short hairs; best be straight up with them and take your medicine like a man.
My attitude, they have you by the short hairs; best be straight up with them and take your medicine like a man.
You are John Wayne and I claim my £10! :D
 
:rolleyes::shy::rolleyes::shy:
Note to everyone mentioning your top speed: we have a LEO in our midst.
(And in case there are any cops who assume that means something derogatorily hurtful or sinister, LEO stands for Law Enforcement Officer, handssome [err, I mean pilGRUM.])
553ed68d4102398ff86fcde6f061187a.jpg


I've gotten up to 58 on my bicycle three times, only another 4mph before I break the bicycle-ton. (100kph).
 
Back
Top