Today was the day ( PICS ADDED!!)

Randy B

Road warrior
Thread starter
Well I went down to Hollister last week and unbeknownst to me I needed and appointment, so I made one for today. I kept it, but dang it, wouldn't ya know it that it RAINED for the first time in MONTHS today? Not a drizzle, but not a downpour, but man did I get SOAKED.

So....I had a Corbin seat made today and I took pictures. They let you wander the floor and look around while they work. As a customer It was nice, but dang if I had to work like that I think I might just loose my mind.

Pictures to follow. :D

P.S. OMG my bike is DIRTY!!!
 
When I worked at the winery on the Biltmore Estate we always had people watching us, I kind of liked it and saw some beautiful girls !
 
That's incredible, the dealers here either won't let you near the shop, or at best let you watch through a big window like a hospital maternity wars In old movies. They claim it's for insurance reasons, but I suspect they'be hit other reasons as well. You know, like not having customers hear the techs screaming curse words as the break off the fourth head stud in a row on somebody's supersport.
 
Thread starter
Sorry guys, I fell asleep. My sleeping schedule has been nothing short of a disaster and trying to straighten it out has not been easy. I'll get to the pics ASAP.
Ok so they told me to arrive between 8 and 10 AM and the earlier the better due to it being first come, first served. They don't do appointment times, rather just a date and whomever gets there first, gets out sooner. I won't say in first out first because they do some pretty cool custom work and will mold a custom seat pan for you right there on the spot (you'll see ;) )

So I left the house at about 7:10 this morning and it was raining....quite steadily I might add....and my leather jacket is now 65 pounds heavier for it (figuratively of course). I pulled up at Corbin at about 7:55 and saw no other bikes and still in a light drizzle and when I pulled up to the door.....IT OPENED!!! WOOOT!!! I pulled in and parked.

709576ef959c3b8e99ad4868231af44e.jpg


8a03611dd7512f7b4a698e4ff38144e0.jpg


My first ride in the rain on the 1100...no better than the last time I did it....yuk. My jacket was soaked clear through and will probably take a week to dry out.

ea26ec87cc8159159272f0ed20f8a423.jpg


The bike is DIRTY!

5b2502ab9553fe727c2c68e8765d3704.jpg


ba4c1dc33005dfe6fd2d58f856daa318.jpg


3fb8bee656cb9ab62a96e74e96a7046e.jpg


043347ddeb1289aa5495e9a602b81770.jpg


b059c2ef99c9c465a2e4ca4b0d6f9f91.jpg


A little motivation for the workers

e79f75c8b25890c672ec3e9a9de247d4.jpg


Here is the sewing area that is right off of the area where I parked.

1e1c2e25cccbc4259064b600e2e1f8de.jpg

They have a showroom of sorts with a few bikes in there so a snapped a few shots.

56ecfbdb3dfe7ba5d68380e2ec29c136.jpg


a41e4189b1b0abcc2b8d7242f1184cd6.jpg


9cc23843095b99f964bd275e228db39d.jpg


This is a land speed record holder for electric motorcycles.

2a2af1b947ba4de4997047eb655efae8.jpg


e0295beab74fe571eafbef00b301b7b2.jpg


cd321f7106658dae68285476cf200138.jpg


cc46dd4188e2fc390d2cc345b9acaa77.jpg

Outside of the building

735810231b0cff131ec0716c0d42d291.jpg


This is the start of the custom seat pan

7d3435509cccd77bb9baf4e0ec74ee17.jpg


Mr. Corbin showed up in this thing. Apparently it is an electric car that had a short production run in the 90's and they are trying for a comeback and are having him test some new batteries for viability.

497d746d973e378104b3431b0fa9cef6.jpg


d798b266a0d4ea631c6b388210c8f821.jpg


e7ab68d7f3282e77769239f8a011a3a6.jpg


They were supposed to have the seat pan ready when I got there, but no dice, so I had to wait for half an hour for them to make it. Not a big deal really.

3c2883c1f2409b4ad07a1e25ca548cee.jpg


Further back beyond the sewing area.

649f9b2cead1650335588ab23bb5a6a2.jpg


OK...finally starting on my seat!!

38e92eec9e336e06beacdbdbf74d9efe.jpg


987551074a265b3e88c4b54f421d1165.jpg


1f0297d2da52ab2d7edc53957ac71f3b.jpg

A little glue

9116f56ce6ad4e653b5efcdcad83b7b5.jpg


A little added foam

6fdab1cbf3433cc893c53600e5ad888f.jpg


850209c0168340ff6c648ad7ef54948e.jpg


A little trimming

06a3c567137e60e42371e3203e9e2fd5.jpg


And shaping

ff6e79bc89a245dd1e61268b69ae611c.jpg


Test fit to see how the butt likes it

ce0bbfefded2ebd8e687cd6c4d088445.jpg


This is how they make the patterns

341a796dec3f6e35743d664db60c6cf2.jpg


67a6e6b3511309fdbed44f463d0424fc.jpg


b599bb120e57d37bf76b746d7510f42a.jpg


0688879b05f3e4c823b34c1a34709ba9.jpg

Now she transfers them onto the leather

a83e7db4e5d1b72d6c4c9e40eefdbd0d.jpg


57d98e0537703939b0e2904727cbfd90.jpg


Then I went and ate breakfast and missed some of it.

So now we pick it up with the stitching

bc15c168c2a069508c898e269eb0b60b.jpg


ba3ef9b5b9d29d617c99065279458c7f.jpg


2791169f90c1fe1087a6b82e5adf9f26.jpg


And now the installation of the cover on the foam

68f6411de615570c06bf25bfea5c967e.jpg


08cd99035c95244fdccaef56cb2de1dd.jpg


81b382bb15573d8b860ab76eb5e5d007.jpg


1929ff3508136339aaf89d77e4406235.jpg


44a52ff80425109a54e705295e1bdc11.jpg

Attaching the cover

e50dfbab4a004c4729c328c054f247da.jpg


Awaiting final prep

f3780e09e4547befbc8d3662d14bbed1.jpg


A little deeper into the factory

3f161bd563e8ed9eb3847257f4360b2e.jpg


ae29dd91131075d49be0bf7540d03d95.jpg


568ffc559f7e2492d2ccda95bdd5cd77.jpg


FINISHED!!

b71cadbeef05a4e48ac017d46398cb9c.jpg

Here is more on the custom seat pan

525e0bf82052a47f5e491a44f731b585.jpg


33313ba889dc1274564f34b5581fe21e.jpg


44e288df0b211a484ed194e26488a7c4.jpg

This pulled in while I was waiting

8bf753be58b4632080d47f6f3aa18fc0.jpg


ca5c84fc3904a2d00592cd81786af005.jpg


b790026e7ee694fde21919b3d7dfcfdf.jpg


849884ee3d93c61c8b9e11fb43d56796.jpg


9607f2e91643f23038f4c4f91f37d78d.jpg


db944417a469bbefee1cd692dc0c65c3.jpg


c6f6ec2a7501bf395f03fef4632fe0a3.jpg


This is the guy....Electric Terry....Apparently the bike hods some world records for electric motorcycles/vehicles. He has added not only the cowl and faring, but extra batteries and chargers. He says it will go 300 miles on a charge and it only takes 45 minutes for a full recharge. The bike came with 9 KWH of power and now sports 21 KWH. Pretty impressive.

e6cdf3ff0e93fad7dd9624a3daccb1fa.jpg


My guess is that it started out looking like this (his has red rims)

 
Randy, thanks for the details & photos. Let us know how the seat works out for you after you get a few miles on it.
 
Nice peek into how the sausage is made. The extra half hour for he seat pan gave your jacket a little drying time. Hope your return trip was dry and your new seat comfortable.
 
Randy,

Very interesting and surprising they let you in the back of the shop. Like ES said a hope your ride home was dryer and more enjoyable. It looks like you have a few hours of clean up scheduled for today.
 
Excellent post. The pictures are great :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I've used Corbin products in the past, but have never seen pics like you posted. Thanks for posting them.
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
And I'd thought all this time that Corbin saddles started with poured concrete. Foam? Who knew?
Ya know I might be with you on this one, but time will tell.

My immediate observations are it moves you further away from the tank fro the stock seat, by quite a bit, and that changes the riding position. I'm not sure how well this will work out for me, but time will tell. I had them add an extra piece of foam to try and minimize this (see pics), but I'm not sure if it was enough.
He had me do a quick little test ride before covering it out in the parking lot and the foam felt really nice so I went ahead and told them to cover it, but the seat feels completely different once covered......like harder....and that surprised me a bit. I'm hoping that it breaks in and loosens up.
It was a good experience though to see how they do this stuff.
And the clean up will most likely happen tomorrow because there is still a chance for rain again today, but with my luck it won't...oh well.
 
Great post. Thanks Randy. Hope the Spaceman's wrong and the seat works out for you.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
And I'd thought all this time that Corbin saddles started with poured concrete. Foam? Who knew?
Quote:Ya know I might be with you on this one, but time will tell.
I have a Corbin and it took about 2 months to break in, but now it is just great.
:)
 
Randy B_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
And I'd thought all this time that Corbin saddles started with poured concrete. Foam? Who knew?
Ya know I might be with you on this one, but time will tell.

My immediate observations are it moves you further away from the tank fro the stock seat, by quite a bit, and that changes the riding position. I'm not sure how well this will work out for me, but time will tell. I had them add an extra piece of foam to try and minimize this (see pics), but I'm not sure if it was enough.
He had me do a quick little test ride before covering it out in the parking lot and the foam felt really nice so I went ahead and told them to cover it, but the seat feels completely different once covered......like harder....and that surprised me a bit. I'm hoping that it breaks in and loosens up.
It was a good experience though to see how they do this stuff.
And the clean up will most likely happen tomorrow because there is still a chance for rain again today, but with my luck it won't...oh well.
Ya know I might be with you on this one, but time will tell.

My immediate observations are it moves you further away from the tank fro the stock seat, by quite a bit, and that changes the riding position. I'm not sure how well this will work out for me, but time will tell. I had them add an extra piece of foam to try and minimize this (see pics), but I'm not sure if it was enough.
He had me do a quick little test ride before covering it out in the parking lot and the foam felt really nice so I went ahead and told them to cover it, but the seat feels completely different once covered......like harder....and that surprised me a bit. I'm hoping that it breaks in and loosens up.
It was a good experience though to see how they do this stuff.
And the clean up will most likely happen tomorrow because there is still a chance for rain again today, but with my luck it won't...oh well.
How are you getting used to the riding position?
 
Thread starter
I haven't ridden it all that much yet so I really can't tell you.
 
Back
Top