Today I rode the Super Duke R...

:rofl: slightly light and faster than a CB 1100 eh?
 
Thread starter
I'll be honest I wasn't sad leaving on the CB afterwards. Just a different kind of bike. SOOOO impressive though. I'm going to try to sell my suped up XR1200X and buy a Duke in the spring. I don't even know why there is any other V Twin engine being made. They should just replace all other twins with that engine, it's so good.
 
The ferret_imp said:
:rofl: slightly light and faster than a CB 1100 eh?

Its about equal 0-100 as the CB, though it would be faster.

KTM 7.97
CB 8.01

Looking at these numbers the CB should run 11:20's in the 1/4 mile.

Edit: Modified CB1100 not stock
 
Here are Motorcycle USA's figures when they tested the Super Duke. I don't think the CB1100 will come anywhere near these figures. 0 to 60 time was hampered by trying to control wheelies in first two gears.

0-60=3.47 sec
quarter mile=10.86 sec at 134.6 mph

150hp and over 90lbft torque at the rear wheel on dyno.

My Triumph Tiger 1050, with it's 112hp and 77lbft torque was much faster than my CB1100 and would hit an indicated 145mph where I would chicken out and back off.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Here are Motorcycle USA's figures when they tested the Super Duke. I don't think the CB1100 will come anywhere near these figures. 0 to 60 time was hampered by trying to control wheelies in first two gears.

0-60=3.47 sec
quarter mile=10.86 sec at 134.6 mph

150hp and over 90lbft torque at the rear wheel on dyno.

My Triumph Tiger 1050, with it's 112hp and 77lbft torque was much faster than my CB1100 and would hit an indicated 145mph where I would chicken out and back off.
The video i believe is of the 990
The new 1290 has more Super Sport ## 10.21's @137.85

Amazing how short the legs are on the duke in the video
1st 39,57,80,100,117 never seen a liter plus bike at these MPH shift points. My XX shifts at 65,105,135 and the CB 50,85,105
 
Thread starter
Cycle World ran a 10.2 on it I believe and it's 0-200kph in 7.2 seconds!! The engine is just amazing feeling too. I felt like the Terminator driving it. You are an instant badass.
 
Oboro_imp said:
Cycle World ran a 10.2 on it I believe and it's 0-200kph in 7.2 seconds!! The engine is just amazing feeling too. I felt like the Terminator driving it. You are an instant badass.
Funny, that's exactly the same feeling tens of thousands of Harley riders get on their 66hp Twinkies.

At least you don't have to wear a pirate outfit on the Duke.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Oboro_imp said:
Cycle World ran a 10.2 on it I believe and it's 0-200kph in 7.2 seconds!! The engine is just amazing feeling too. I felt like the Terminator driving it. You are an instant badass.
Funny, that's exactly the same feeling tens of thousands of Harley riders get on their 66hp Twinkies.

At least you don't have to wear a pirate outfit on the Duke.
:rofl: It's all a matter of perspective.
 
Thread starter
This is obviously no 66 hp twinkie. The bike rumbles and grunts but when you twist the throttle the noise is accompanied by very enthusiastic acceleration. I will have one come next spring.
 
I was thinking of this KTM or the BMW S1000R, which out did the KTM in cycle worlds reviews… I've always liked inline 4's , never ridden a v twin…how does the feel compare?
 
HikerToo_imp said:
I was thinking of this KTM or the BMW S1000R, which out did the KTM in cycle worlds reviews… I've always liked inline 4's , never ridden a v twin…how does the feel compare?
I rode one recently at a KTM demo day. Riding in a group I was never able to get past about 2/3rds throttle (with all the electronic nannies on), but even so the thing pulled very, very hard. No comparison with the CB. I really liked the sound and character of the engine...there's a raw "mechanical" feel that, to me, sets it apart from four-cylinder bikes. I definitely had the feeling that the "real" power started lower in the RPM range than most fours also...which is no surprise, I guess.

The bike looks "normal" size, but felt very light and small when I was on it. Oddly small, in fact. That was one of the things I wasn't too thrilled about: Apart from the mirrors, it almost entirely "disappears" below your visual field. I remember feeling like I had to physically tilt my head to see the speedo/tach. Granted, I'm pretty long in the body, so others might not notice this as much.

My only real problem with the bike--and this is probably the only thing (apart from the price and unknown reliability) that would keep me from buying one--is the vibration through the bars. It seemed like it was always there, regardless of RPM. Vibration tends to be a subjective thing--and I was probably gripping the bars harder than I normally do--but my hands were tingling within 5 minutes, and pretty much numb in 15. I'm not sure I could get used to that.
 
The new Super Duke R is impressive, but I find the chassis and general setup a little too radical. As far as great v-twins go, in my opinion the greatest one so far is the bialbero corsa corta 1200cc fitted in the Moto Morini Corsaro. This bike and gem of an engine came out in 2006, some 8 years ago, and delivered 140hp with over 90 lb/ft of torque. That is a similar torque figure to the new Super Duke R, but delivered in a chassis that is much more comfortable and rideable.

Unfortunately Morini has suffered from being a very small Italian factory, going bankrupt a couple of years back. But, they are still around, and since two years they have new financing and are again producing great bikes. If you ever have a chance, you must try what is the most amazing twin ever.
 
I recently sold My KTM Super Moto R with 998cc LC8 motor. This and the Super Duke are not motorcycles for old men to tour around on and relax. They are great fun when you are focused and understand what your doing. Every thing about the SMR was about a very light touch. A hand full of anything was trouble. I loved the bike. The CB1100 is just in a different universe. You can just relax and ride and any overdone control input is so smooth and gradual there is plenty of time to correct, unlike the the hyper bikes, and no the CB1100 is not anywhere near as fast anyplace no how no way if the SD is in the right hands. Hale, a lot of 600s will blow the CB1100 in the weeds, that is not what it’s for.
 
Aussie_imp said:
I would love one but I also need my licence for work!
True. I have a mate who has a very quick, exotic and expensive piece of European machinery, four wheels of course. Fortunately he has a large extended family. Many of them have taken the hit for him. Lucky man.

Cheers
 
I agree, looks like fun, but it's like the CB1000R I test rode before buying the CB1100, my fat belly and that gas tank just didn't mesh very well ;-) I decided I was too old to be riding wheelies anymore anyway.
 
I want one, but I won't give up the CB. So now I'm left dreaming and, after just buying the CB, looking for change in the washer hoping to get 17 large before I die.
 
]
The Spaceman_imp said:
Oboro_imp said:
Cycle World ran a 10.2 on it I believe and it's 0-200kph in 7.2 seconds!! The engine is just amazing feeling too. I felt like the Terminator driving it. You are an instant badass.
Funny, that's exactly the same feeling tens of thousands of Harley riders get on their 66hp Twinkies.

At least you don't have to wear a pirate outfit on the Duke.
Funny, that's exactly the same feeling tens of thousands of Harley riders get on their 66hp Twinkies.

At least you don't have to wear a pirate outfit on the Duke.
 
I have been following this bike for a long time. Did KTM have a demo ride? I simply refuse to spend that much $$$$ on a bike without a demo. (Learned that the hard way with a V-Rod).

Kind of leary of all the electronics as well. Bought the CB because it was simple.
 
Back
Top