To pant or not to pant...

EmptySea_imp said:
my Revit rain gear works great. when i remember to wear it.

Lol I hear ya. I do hate stopping to put on rain gear and sometimes not sure when to do so ( dark clouds, first drops?) sometimes it's inconvenient ( on expressway with no over passes or exits, back country roads with no berms). Sometimes it's hard to pull the pants on over boots.

Mostly this dilema comes to pass during tours, otherwise the cordura stuff will hold it off for a little while so you can get close to home and only a little wet without putting on the rain gear.

I carry a cheap rainsuit on most rides, but on tours where I might get stuck in all day rain I carry and use Frogg Toggs.

The only thing I have found to keep water out of gloves and I have tried 1/2 dozen makes of " waterproof" gloves (which all failed) is the little crab claw over gloves from Touratech, but they feel starnge as all get out. At home I just take off my regular gloves and ride bare handed if it starts raining.
 
Thread starter
I'm with Elipten on this... I looked at the Klim and the Rukka gear and my old, fat, Puerto Rican body can withstand a lot of rain for that much money.

I'll pick up the Macna pants today and report first impressions. Nonetheless, I have a feeling that the quest to ride less wet is not over. :-/
 
Nemo_imp said:
I'm with Elipten on this... I looked at the Klim and the Rukka gear and my old, fat, Puerto Rican body can withstand a lot of rain for that much money.

I'll pick up the Macna pants today and report first impressions. Nonetheless, I have a feeling that the quest to ride less wet is not over. :-/
I've looked at the Macna pants when I was at Twisted Throttle's HQ in Rhode Island a few years ago. Looked to be good, high quality stuff. Let us know how they're working for you -- once you get rained on!
 
He lives in Florida that should be sometime this afternoon lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cool. Not with that brand.

waterproof bwaa haa haa haa...in my experience no motorcycle gear is waterproof. What they need to say is 'will hold off a light shower for a while, but if it's really coming down you are going to get wet"

If the mfg had been with my wife and I as we rode from New Hampshire to Catskill New York in rain so hard you could barely see he'd understand. The INSIDE of our skin was wet lol and we were wearing Cordura jacket and pants and rain gear. Our motel room looked like a Chinese laundry with all our clothing draped everywhere to dry.
In general, I wouldn't argue with this, but I do believe there might be exceptions provided the gear is used correctly.I say this because they can make waterproof zippered waders for fishing that keep you dry even when submersed in water all day long, zippers and all. The zippers used are the key, some are waterproof and some aren't. Still, even then I'm sure there are exceptions due to manufacturing issues, etc. so I get your point.

Your comment reminded me of s video that I came across when I was researching one piece suits. I have no idea if any liberties were taken when making this video, but just watching it cracked me up. I do know that I wouldn't have volunteered to be the tester.


 
that reminds me of putting on flight suits....
 
I do carry a dry pair of gloves with my rain suit - to put on when I remove the rain suit and pack it away.
Water proof gloves are as mythical as water proof riding boots.
 
Impressive how quickly he got out of that.

Guth my understanding is waterproof zippers have not proven to be strong enough in crash resistance tests, which is why they don't use them and cover main zippers with a flap instead
 
Thread starter
The bit about gloves I learned from my trip to TTOD last year. Since I've carried an extra pair of gloves in a zip-loc bag.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Impressive how quickly he got out of that.

Guth my understanding is waterproof zippers have not proven to be strong enough in crash resistance tests, which is why they don't use them and cover main zippers with a flap instead
Hopefully the zippers have proven to be stronger recently as the latest generation Roadcrafters include the what they claim to be waterproof zippers (plus the flaps). I will say that they don't look like the zippers on the wading gear. The local weather will provide me with ample opportunities to test out the actual effectiveness just a few more months down the road, lol.

For my short commute, the Rev'It GoreTex gloves I own have kept my hands dry through a couple of winters now.
 
Thread starter
Well... The pants are going back to Twisted Throttle. I liked the look, the weight of the material, the subdued reflective and the mesh liner, but they are sort of "skinny jeans" cut (if you can call skinny any jeans in my size), run small and lack in the ballroom department.

I wear size 38 Levis and ordered these in 40. Although the waist was a good fit the thighs and hips were WAY TOO TIGHT for my taste. These may work for folks with small butts and thighs but that's not me.
:-/
NEXT
 
That's a shame. To try and avoid the problems you've listed above, I tended to look for pants that were described as "overpants". I've had good luck with gear from Rev'It, you might consider some of their pants this next go 'round.
 
Lol most of us here don't have the body for skinny jeans any more.

From what I saw on the national weather it looks like Nemo better get some rain gear pronto...or take the 4 wheeled Honda
 
Thread starter
I think I'll go with MTCs mesh pants method. I don't leave the house to go ride in the rain but here is always (9 months) hot. In mesh will get the air flow and if I get wet it will dry quicker. I'll try to find a pair that has a rain liner.

So it continues...
 
That's really too bad, Nemo. I think Macna are a Euro brand and they seem to think we're all skinny Europeans like they are. I bought a pair of AGV mesh pants because I got a smoking deal on them, but they too were like a pair of skinny jeans. They were fine when walking, but when sitting I felt like I was sitting on my most important pieces of luggage if you get my drift...
 
Thread starter
Totally understand, Scoobs. :thumbsup:

Just ordered the Cortech Sequoia XC Air Pants, those seem to have the adequate room for my curvaceous figure. We'll see.
:cool:
 
Back
Top