To Modular or Not to Modular: This is my question

Thread starter
I did it. Went modular. I tried on 10 different modular helmets. Liked the idea that the Shark has the chin bar go over the back but the comfort and weight was bad. HJC RPHA 90 couldn't take the AirPods and was uncomfortable for me. Came down to the Schuberth C3 and Shoei Neotec 2. Schuberth was a close 2nd only because you can't ride with it open and the Shoei was soooo comfortable. Looking forward to the summer with the new lid. Thank you for all your suggestions and thoughts.
 
I wear both , full face helmets, and modular. Living in south Texas made a modular wearing out of me when the weather is above 95F. Otherwise I wear one of 3 Full face helmets, an AGV, Shoei and HJC. I decide which of those I wear depending on the distance and temperature. But in the winter, Full Face Helmet only.
 
After years going without one, I just ordered a HJC i90 Aventa. What convinced me was the fact that in Sharp testing HJC modular jaw protectors stay shut 100% of the time. Also was able to get an extra clamp, speaker and mic set for my Lexin LXFT4 Bluetooth for only $30!.
 
Crazyirv_imp said:
After years going without one, I just ordered a HJC i90 Aventa. What convinced me was the fact that in Sharp testing HJC modular jaw protectors stay shut 100% of the time. Also was able to get an extra clamp, speaker and mic set for my Lexin LXFT4 Bluetooth for only $30!.
I recently bought their C91 Taly. The cool striped bands sold it for me. But HJC is the only brand I have ever wore in Modular.
 
I picked up(sp?) a Sedici before my trip. A lot quieter than my other helmets. The Cardo fits very well, so far no complaints.

I picked up a NEXX XR1-R with some wild graphic - cheap at the rally. Tried if for a bit on the ride back to the truck and it was not as quiet and needed a bit of fettling before continuing. I swapped back to the modular one for the rest of the ride.

Gotta say, this new modular is really growing on me.
 
One consideration can be the Sedici modular in carbon fiber. The shell is actual carbon with Kevlar. Good foam and pretty comfortable for a helmet sold at Cyclegear. It was actually lighter than the Schuberth. I'm sure it may be a little noisier with wind but for the money not much out there beats it.

Modular Motorcycle Helmets - Cycle Gear
 
Rox_imp said:
One consideration can be the Sedici modular in carbon fiber. The shell is actual carbon with Kevlar. Good foam and pretty comfortable for a helmet sold at Cyclegear. It was actually lighter than the Schuberth. I'm sure it may be a little noisier with wind but for the money not much out there beats it.

Modular Motorcycle Helmets - Cycle Gear
Cool tip.

Hard to find what the reduced helmet weight is?
 
michael1954_imp said:
Crazyirv_imp said:
After years going without one, I just ordered a HJC i90 Aventa. What convinced me was the fact that in Sharp testing HJC modular jaw protectors stay shut 100% of the time. Also was able to get an extra clamp, speaker and mic set for my Lexin LXFT4 Bluetooth for only $30!.
I recently bought their C91 Taly. The cool striped bands sold it for me. But HJC is the only brand I have ever wore in Modular.
I recently bought their C91 Taly. The cool striped bands sold it for me. But HJC is the only brand I have ever wore in Modular.
Thats the one (c91Taly) I've been trying to buy in the UK but there seems to be a shortage of popular helmets in my size here. C91 is my first choice then c90 and lastly a caberg duke2 but non anywhere:(

I've never owned a HJC and taking a chance on a new to me brand so may I ask if there are any negatives to the C91 taly ?
 
Just managed to get a HJC c91 taly and what a difference to my old Caberg with the turned to dust lining.
Its so much quieter that my CB now sounds so pleasantly different and the whole riding experience just feels even better now if that's possible.
Best purchase I've made in ages :) well pleased.
 
Just returned from Europe. While in Germany, I visited a local shop and tried on a Schuberth C5 to replace my aging C3 Pro. It's a very nice helmet and fit me well, and was reasonably priced at €499, but I didn't feel like packing it in my luggage or paying another €50 to have it shipped. The same helmet is $775 plus tax in the U.S.

When I got home I bought the same helmet online from the Netherlands for €445 including free DHL shipping. There are some great deals to be had right now while the euro is cheap, and I was able to buy the C5 for about half the cost of the same helmet here in the U.S.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Just returned from Europe. While in Germany, I visited a local shop and tried on a Schuberth C5 to replace my aging C3 Pro. It's a very nice helmet and fit me well, and was reasonably priced at €499, but I didn't feel like packing it in my luggage or paying another €50 to have it shipped. The same helmet is $775 plus tax in the U.S.

When I got home I bought the same helmet online from the Netherlands for €445 including free DHL shipping. There are some great deals to be had right now while the euro is cheap, and I was able to buy the C5 for about half the cost of the same helmet here in the U.S.
LongRanger, could you share which site you used?
 
Mixagon_imp said:
michael1954_imp said:
Crazyirv_imp said:
After years going without one, I just ordered a HJC i90 Aventa. What convinced me was the fact that in Sharp testing HJC modular jaw protectors stay shut 100% of the time. Also was able to get an extra clamp, speaker and mic set for my Lexin LXFT4 Bluetooth for only $30!.
I recently bought their C91 Taly. The cool striped bands sold it for me. But HJC is the only brand I have ever wore in Modular.
I recently bought their C91 Taly. The cool striped bands sold it for me. But HJC is the only brand I have ever wore in Modular.
Thats the one (c91Taly) I've been trying to buy in the UK but there seems to be a shortage of popular helmets in my size here. C91 is my first choice then c90 and lastly a caberg duke2 but non anywhere:(

I've never owned a HJC and taking a chance on a new to me brand so may I ask if there are any negatives to the C91 taly ?
I recently bought their C91 Taly. The cool striped bands sold it for me. But HJC is the only brand I have ever wore in Modular.
Thats the one (c91Taly) I've been trying to buy in the UK but there seems to be a shortage of popular helmets in my size here. C91 is my first choice then c90 and lastly a caberg duke2 but non anywhere:(

I've never owned a HJC and taking a chance on a new to me brand so may I ask if there are any negatives to the C91 taly ?
Just be aware Mixagon Motorcycle Helmets in the UK are classed as PPE and therefore attract 0% VAT (sales tax). We pay full 23% VAT on helmets in Ireland. Not sure how other EU countries are doing in that respect but the UK has been an outlier on this one.

HJC C91 Taly Red in all sizes available from Sportsbikeshop.co.uk for £169 including free delivery. - oh, and I just seen your are already sorted.
 
Contrary to most I went the other way around.
My present helmet is an integral HJC r70 and the last one a modular Caberg which i still keep to go downtown or for short rides.
Reasons: mainly the noise, extra weight and not as safe. Oh well, also me and the wife modulars were getting old.
I dont miss, as much as ithought, the modular comfort in medium and long rides. As oppossed to one previous poster, i like the fact the integral makes for a more difficult filling of the pie hole!!!

In any case i might consider the HJC c91 for my next helmet. Your personal reviews are so good
 
Crazyirv_imp said:
After years going without one, I just ordered a HJC i90 Aventa. What convinced me was the fact that in Sharp testing HJC modular jaw protectors stay shut 100% of the time. Also was able to get an extra clamp, speaker and mic set for my Lexin LXFT4 Bluetooth for only $30!.
I also have the Aventa i90 in white/red with the same Lexin setup! Gotta say......its a very noisy helmet compared to my HJC RPHA 70ST fullface and my Scorpion R420 fullface (the best bang for a buck helmet anywhere imho). All three have the Lexin mounting clip and speakers. I hardly use the modular...mainly for group riding. Bottom line is no doubt a full face is much safer and you can hear media etc.much better in one than the i90.
 
^^ Brilliant! I can’t believe you guys have the same helmet set up!.
 
Crazyirv_imp said:
Crazyirv_imp said:
After years going without one, I just ordered a HJC i90 Aventa. What convinced me was the fact that in Sharp testing HJC modular jaw protectors stay shut 100% of the time. Also was able to get an extra clamp, speaker and mic set for my Lexin LXFT4 Bluetooth for only $30!.
I also have the Aventa i90 in white/red with the same Lexin setup! Gotta say......its a very noisy helmet compared to my HJC RPHA 70ST fullface and my Scorpion R420 fullface (the best bang for a buck helmet anywhere imho). All three have the Lexin mounting clip and speakers. I hardly use the modular...mainly for group riding. Bottom line is no doubt a full face is much safer and you can hear media etc.much better in one than the i90.
It is common for a modular helmet to experience more wind noise compared to a full-face offering. It is typically is impart due to the inherent design.
 
Back
Top