To Modular or Not to Modular: This is my question

koehlerk_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm in the market for a new helmet. I'm wondering about your experience with modulars vs non. I ride around town and also take multi-day trips on various types of roads including back roads and interstates.

I also ride with AirPod Pros for their noise cancellation and tunes. Keeping them in while putting on my current helmet is challenging. I would like to make that easier.

I'm leaning modular but I've not owned one.

Budget is ~600$

Your thoughts are appreciated!
 
If you're interested in safety, study the Sharp website (sharp.dft.gov.uk/), modular can be perfectly safe !
If other functions are more important (ventilation, ANC headphones, easy of use ...), study older threads here on site,
and wear the helmet with and without your ANC for 20 minutes in the shop, before purchase ! This step is more important than anything else.
If money is no problem, spend 500 on a classy brand (the type which fits a cafe racer), but know that there are really good helmets for under 150 or 200, which can tick all your boxes.

You asked ... ;) Good luck !
 
I love my Modulars and could not go back to a full face helmet

3e747ba1269c3f3a099818d43f2056c0.jpg


you can smooch your sweetie

d3a24ed0471da7d351fbdc35ad3ab707.jpg


you can tell if it's raining

3403662ead777920a49194e53f5f4fe9.jpg


you can yell at someone and they can hear you

1eeefb2a8bf9668be97bf47928cfab25.jpg
 
I wore a variety of full-face helmets over the years (Bell, Simpson, HJC, Shoei, Arai, Schuberth) and thought I’d try a modular a few years ago. They’re not allowed for track use but I haven’t ridden a track day in years and likely won’t. The biggest difference to me is the ease of putting it on, and of course being able to easily stuff my pie hole at gas stops. Otherwise, for me, there’s no noticeable difference.
 
All the modulars I have used were heavier than a comparable traditional full-face. However, I have also noticed the newer models are getting lighter over the past decade.
 
I have always use full face, however, due to a sudden claustrophobic attack I was forced to switch to modular.

The HJC helmet fits perfectly and is very comfortable.

Thanks to Ferret, I now own a carbon fibre HJC (RPHA 90S) modular weighing only 1540 grams) and is very happy with it - thanks Ferret ;)
 
I made some funnies above, but seriously putting on and taking off glasses, taking a swig of water (or in my case hot tea...see below lol), seeing the zippers to open up my tank bag, not getting claustrophobic when stopping for gas, or at an overlook or a spot of interest along your journey, talking to someone at an impromptu stop (such as a quick stop at a stop sign), or when a stranger approaches to ask about your bike, are all made much easier with modular helmets.

9efdfee0f367fb60a031bbc2c133cc97.jpg


heavier ... maybe
louder ... probably

easier to put on ... definitely
more convenient ... absolutely
 
Simply talking while open to other riders at a red light in the heat of summer humidity is enough reason. Cool air and low stress of comprehendible communication adds to the appeal.
 
In a group riding situation, go modular or go home. Just kidding, sort of. I'm enjoying group rides so much more since going modular, primarily of course at stops and points of interest. It's also faster than taking a full-face off and putting it back on constantly.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for your thoughts. Now to find the modular helmet that fits me best.

Suggestions on models are welcome.
 
I love my modular when riding with the old guys who like to be able to talk at a red light. and who don't care that the helmet doesn't match the style of the bike... and me personally, I can't bring myself to wear open style helmets.
 
Same with my Schuberth. Bought online from a retailer in Italy. No DOT sticker but otherwise it’s the exact helmet sold in the US, at a considerably lower cost.
 
I have used the Nolan modulars for years and Sparky wears the HJC. Nolan has been my choice because it fits my head shape better than other brands.
 
I recently had a Nolan modular and the design and fit were good.

However, pieces of the helmet started to come off and I was constantly tending to these scrappy issues. Also, in comparison to other modulars, I found the Nolan model (N103) heavy.

The Nolan is now gone.
 
Modular: heavier, more noise, easier to put on and take off.

Integral: lighter, quieter, harder to put on and take off.

For commuting, I use modular, mainly because I wear glasses, and I can put it on and take it off with my glasses on. For longer rides, I use integral.

In hot and/or wet weather, the modular allows you to open it fully at traffic lights. That's another pro.
 
Back
Top