To bar end weight, or not to bar end weight - that is the question.

Papa Weeley_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
What seems to be the consensus on using these on the CB?
In the past, with sportbikes, I've always believed in their vibration-reducing quality, but I've read several people have removed theirs here, with no noticeable difference. Is this really the case after using them for some time, or did you go back to using them because a bad case of "tingle-hand" set in?
I've got some grips that I loved on my Triumph that I'd really like to use on the CB, but they'd work (and look) a lot better without the weights in place.

So -what say ye, good people?! :D
 
weights are easy to take off and grips are easy to take off and put on with compressed air. You might give them a try. You can always put them back on. Note my Bonnie had 1" bars from the factory so they would not fit a CB
 
There is over a pound of lead both inside and outside of the bar ends. Take it all out and you'll notice your rear view mirrors are buzzing and harder to see.

Chip
 
4 sets on the CB, 4 sets on the NC700X. I thought the large stainless steel Babyface bar ends were the most attractive. Weights varied from 95 to 200 grams. No difference in vibration levels - virtually none.
 
I took mine off when i changed handle bars. No big difference. On the other hand, I did notice less vibration when I disconnected the muffler and put on a small baffled slip on that does not bolt to the frame anywhere. Noticeable difference.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
weights are easy to take off and grips are easy to take off and put on with compressed air. You might give them a try. You can always put them back on. Note my Bonnie had 1" bars from the factory so they would not fit a CB
Thanks for the heads-up, but luckily, the Thruxton and mag-wheeled Bonnevilles (like mine) had 7/8".
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
weights are easy to take off and grips are easy to take off and put on with compressed air. You might give them a try. You can always put them back on. Note my Bonnie had 1" bars from the factory so they would not fit a CB
Thanks for the heads-up, but luckily, the Thruxton and mag-wheeled Bonnevilles (like mine) had 7/8".
Thanks for the heads-up, but luckily, the Thruxton and mag-wheeled Bonnevilles (like mine) had 7/8".
huh, did not know that. Interesting.
 
Thread starter
Yeah, there were all kinds of weird variations between the various models. Couldn't begin to tell you the reasoning!
I did so much modding to mine, though, that I got some pretty intimate knowledge of it all!
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
There is over a pound of lead both inside and outside of the bar ends. Take it all out and you'll notice your rear view mirrors are buzzing and harder to see.

Chip
Exactly. They are there for a reason. I used the CB500 bars because, as Mr. Beck has found, they accept the stock bar end weight.

You are taking a risk of nerve damage. High frequency vibes are cumulative, you think everything is fine and then one day your hand just does not work correctly.
 
Thread starter
Believe me, I'm Mr. Comfort Zone these days - if the bars feel too buzzy, I'll definitely be re-installing the weights.
But I wouldn't be content with myself if I didn't at least try and see what kind of difference it makes, if even just for the collective knowledge of the group. ;)
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Believe me, I'm Mr. Comfort Zone these days - if the bars feel too buzzy, I'll definitely be re-installing the weights.
But I wouldn't be content with myself if I didn't at least try and see what kind of difference it makes, if even just for the collective knowledge of the group. ;)
lol, you are the lab rat here! In that case please buy an FZ10 and let us know how you like it! :rofl:
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
LOL - like you'd have to twist my arm for that one!
I have a feeling that one of us is going to be among the first on the FZ10 forums...I haven't been so jazzed about a new model in a long time.
 
Thread starter
Well, I'm finally getting around to letting everybody know how this worked out -
Some of you probably saw my related thread about adding the GT "football" grips in conjunction with removing all of the handlebar weights: New retro grips
Just to clarify, I removed both the bar-end weights and the internal handlebar weights, while adding these somewhat cushy retro grips...all I can say is the extent to which all those weights dampen vibration must be highly overestimated! And please understand that I'm a highly critical individual when it comes to comfort on my bike - if this set-up in any way reduced my present level of comfort, I'd notice, AND change it back immediately. But I can honestly say, there is no real difference after all these changes! There is a bit of buzziness at about 5 grand, but I don't know about you guys, but I am rarely at 5,000 rpms for more than a second or two, so no real impact for my riding. Other than that, the new grips are much more comfortable to my recently arthritis-inflicted left hand, look perfect on the bike, and have actually slightly narrowed the width of the bike. Couldn't be happier! :thumbsup:
 
Toddman_imp said:
I took mine off when i changed handle bars. No big difference. On the other hand, I did notice less vibration when I disconnected the muffler and put on a small baffled slip on that does not bolt to the frame anywhere. Noticeable difference.

Can you post a pic of that baffle slip on set up?
 
I took mine off shortly after I got my bike. They stuck out too far for my taste. I put some plastic caps on the ends, found them at Home Depot. I have never had any real buzzing or hand/wrist discomfort. I do most of my riding local going to work and what not.
 
Back
Top