Tires

Lord Popgun

Road warrior
Thread starter
Which tires are considered better by those in the know, Dunlops or Bridgestones?

Mine comes with Dunlops.

Or does it matter?
 
After selling tires for the last 15 years -
These are both about equal - They are old models designed as
sport touring radials. Not much to write home about, they should last
a good amount of time.
Since these are odd sizes I think Bridgestone will be the first to come out
with something else. They tend to come out with new tires at any time
while the others tend to release new at the beginning of the year.
The two biggest mistakes I can see people making with this bike is to
try and put bias tires or heavy duty touring radials on it. I would guess
Metezler, Pirelli or Michelin should have something out within 18 months
if the bike sells well. They may already but just don't have it state side.
 
Thread starter
Thanks CA200, Thats good info to know.
I am a pretty conservative rider so they should last me a long time and by then the other/better tires may be out.
 
I generally run Michelins on everything, my cars, truck,and motorcycles, unless Michelin doesn't make tires in the sizes I need.

Between Dunlop and Bridgestone, I prefer Dunlops, but in basic oem tires, i dont think it makes much difference.
 
I've used Avon RoadRiders on several bikes and LOVE them. They made an old CB1100F very confidence-inspiring.
I haven't checked to see if they produce them in the sizes we need; shouldn't have to for quite a while. :D
 
Thread starter
Inline4_imp said:
I've used Avon RoadRiders on several bikes and LOVE them. They made an old CB1100F very confidence-inspiring.
I haven't checked to see if they produce them in the sizes we need; shouldn't have to for quite a while. :D
Inline4, when we need new tires we can just go over the CA200's place and use that machine :P
 
For a fee:P
I am with ferret with tires. Hoping that Michelin or Metezler will come out with a fitment ,they are way ahead of everyone else
when it comes to sport touring radials.Avon does make some nice bias tires but they just havn't had the dollars to come up
with good radials. People should know avon was bought many years ago by Copper tire. They got rid of the Avon calender that
used to come out every year! Darn !
 
My bike came with the Dunlops, which is fine by me. The other bikes only run on Dunlop Q2's, and RoadSmart II's. I bought a second pair of the Dunlop OEM tires the day I picked-up my CB11, knowing it'll be a while before we see any real variety in this tire size (if ever).
 
Thread starter
CA200,

Since you are the tire man, do you know what the red and orange painted stripes are on my tires (Dunlops)? They are on the right side only of both tires.
 
Thread starter
CA200_imp said:
Can you post pictures?
This is the front tire, the rear is the same.
That didn't come out to0 good. I'm going to have to learn to use photobucket or something so I can post hi-res pics.

Maybe you can get the idea though. Mind if I use the email ca200 and send it to you?
 
Popgun you can if you want but those colored strips on the tire have nothing to do with the tire it's self. You will notice they wear off pretty fast. Dunlop has done this for years. They really don't say what it is but I am sure it has something to do
with the way the tires moves as it is being made or something.
The important info is all on the sidewall. If a tire is recalled they always use the info from the # around the DOT numbers.
The important number to the consumer is the last 4 numbers at the end of the DOT #. That's the date code.
It is always the week and year it was made. so 4312 would be the 43ed week of 2012.
In our store we would never mount a tire more then 60 months old.
The other numbers before and after the DOT mark is a factory # and a production number
 
Thread starter
Thanks for that info, very informative.

I just happened to notice the stripes and was wondering what they were for.

Thanks
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
CA200_imp said:
Can you post pictures?
This is the front tire, the rear is the same.
That didn't come out to0 good. I'm going to have to learn to use photobucket or something so I can post hi-res pics.

Maybe you can get the idea though. Mind if I use the email ca200 and send it to you?
That didn't come out to0 good. I'm going to have to learn to use photobucket or something so I can post hi-res pics.
In a different forum, I discovered image shack is pretty useful and simple.
I'll try to get a thread going with instructions.

..............................
Thanks for the good info CA200
 
Back
Top