Tires!

Captainwoot_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I know that this has been discussed a lot, but i'm looking for thoughts. 2016 cb1100abs non spoke 18" wheels.Stock dunlops lasted 11000km then rear was flat in the middle and front was cupped badly. My next set was Bridgestone Battlaxe adventure. Stock size in the front and a 150/70/zr18 in the rear. (stock is a 140 i think). rear is holding out well but the front left side is wearing/cupping.
Is there a michelin tire that works. Not a whole lot in the way of 18" radials out there.
current tires have approx 9000km on them.
Thanks in advance
Brent
 
Captain, last year, for my 2014 with mags, I installed Dunlop Roadsmart III, 110/80R/18 and Michelin PR 3, 160/60ZR/18 in rear. So far, after 10000km the front starts cupping....
It will be difficult to get 110 or 140 of PR3...
My previous, '13 CB, had PR3s in front-120/70/18 & rear-160/60/18. Front would last about 25000km and rear at least 36000+ km...for my type of riding, no commuting, 80% long distance...
Hope, some others will chime in, so you can make your perfect decision.
Good luck.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Captain, last year, for my 2014 with mags, I installed Dunlop Roadsmart III, 110/80R/18 and Michelin PR 3, 160/60ZR/18 in rear. So far, after 10000km the front starts cupping....
It will be difficult to get 110 or 140 of PR3...
My previous, '13 CB, had PR3s in front-120/70/18 & rear-160/60/18. Front would last about 25000km and rear at least 36000+ km...for my type of riding, no commuting, 80% long distance...
Hope, some others will chime in, so you can make your perfect decision.
Good luck.
Thanks for the info. any negative effect of the oversized tires in regards to handling?
 
I’ve run 3 sets of PR3s 160/60/18 rear and noticed no handling issues.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I’ve run 3 sets of PR3s 160/60/18 rear and noticed no handling issues.
Ditto and I ran with the larger (I forget the size right now) PR3 on the front this last go round and have had no issues with it, either.
 
I ran the PR4GTs (stiffer sidewall) on my ST 1300 and run them on my FJR 1300 If they have them in the correct size should be a good tire for the CB as well
 
I have the Metzeler Z8 on mine, and after 10'000km they are still in good shape. So far I have really liked them, giving good grip in both dry and wet. I like the actual profile of them as well, being nice and round so the lean-in to corners is very smooth.
 
Captainwoot_imp said:
Well I pulled the trigger on on a pr4 120/70/18 for the front and a pr4 160/60/zt18 for the rear..
That is good to hear that they have PR4s in our size. I put the PR3s of that same size on my CB1100 a while back. like them so much better than stock. I went looking for Michelins for the CB500X. Wound up calling Michelin. They spent all kinds of time talking to me about the difference between PR3, PR4 and Road5s. Boiled down to good, better and best. I got the Road5s for the 500. I'm thinking I wont ever wear either set out the way I'm going. I ride easy. What I noticed with both sets of Michelins was the feel over tar snakes. The OEM tiers were not bad, but with the Michelin on both bikes, tar snakes just disappear. I mean completely. I go looking for them now and run them down.
 
gmike_imp said:
Captainwoot_imp said:
Well I pulled the trigger on on a pr4 120/70/18 for the front and a pr4 160/60/zt18 for the rear..
That is good to hear that they have PR4s in our size. I put the PR3s of that same size on my CB1100 a while back. like them so much better than stock. I went looking for Michelins for the CB500X. Wound up calling Michelin. They spent all kinds of time talking to me about the difference between PR3, PR4 and Road5s. Boiled down to good, better and best. I got the Road5s for the 500. I'm thinking I wont ever wear either set out the way I'm going. I ride easy. What I noticed with both sets of Michelins was the feel over tar snakes. The OEM tiers were not bad, but with the Michelin on both bikes, tar snakes just disappear. I mean completely. I go looking for them now and run them down.
... The OEM tiers were not bad, but with the Michelin on both bikes, tar snakes just disappear. I mean completely. I go looking for them now and run them down.
Great to know gmike. Road snakes on the bends on a profuse hot day can catch one by surprise from time-to-time.
 
Your problems sounds more like improper inflation than bad tires. Make sure whatever you replace them with gets inflated correctly when you ride.
 
I have run the 120 front 160 rear about 6 thousand miles now, no clearance issues on my 2013. Some have said the handling is a bit slower, but it works for me. They wear well and feel good to me.

Ben
 
Back
Top