Tire plugs??

mgoodie_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I know many of you here are very knowledgeable, more so than me. I rolled my bike out this morning and noticed it was hard to roll so I looked at my tires and the rear tire was low so I inspected it and found a nail in it. tires are still pretty new (stock) only about 1400 miles on it. So my question is can I just plug it and be safe or do I need to get a new tire? If new tire is in order can I just change the back tire or do I need both front and back? The nail is in the tread part of the tire not sidewall more on the outside of the part of tire that I use, looks like I must have gotten it while cornering. Any advise is appreciated.
 
Its been discussed before and you will find the answer is either
1. It is totally unsafe and should never be done for any reason
or
2. Done it with no problem

You have to make the call. And it would depend on where the nail is.

I picked up a nail at 300 miles. At the time you couldn't hardly get tires so I plugged mine and it is still going strong. But having said that, if I was going on the road for a trip, I'd change the tire out (I have a set stored away now).
 
oh boy..can of worms. it's going to be about 60/40 with the 60 going in the buy a new tire camp. Only you can make the decision on whether you trust it or not. I have ridden thousands of miles on plugged tires. I got a flat on one bike at 40 miles, plugged it, and replaced the tire at 8000 miles. I carry a tire plug kit and compressor on every trip. I would plug a tire in the thick part of the tread and run it in a heartbeat, but would not plug and run except for an emergency a tire with a puncture in the bottom of the sipe or sidewall where it is thin; If it were me, I would plug it, air it up and keep an eye on it and run it for awhile. Check the air in it everyday, put a dab of spit on the plug and watch for bubbles, and make my decision on replacement based on that. For your own peace of mind you may just want to go ahead and replace it. You only need to replace the punctured one...not the pair.

then again sometimes I wear jeans, a tshirt and an open face helmet.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, funds are kinda short right now and the weather is looking nice this weekend in my neck of the woods, so I just wanted to know if I could plug it and be safe or just wait till I can get a new tire.

Thanks for the help!
 
mgoodie_imp said:
Thanks, funds are kinda short right now and the weather is looking nice this weekend in my neck of the woods, so I just wanted to know if I could plug it and be safe or just wait till I can get a new tire.

Thanks for the help!
I would never run a plugged tire any further than I have too!!! I think about those plugs running back and forth from NY to NC in my car, there is no way I'm running them on a bike. I would be thinking every-time out if the tire was going to hold up. So, i guess you know what my answer is going to be.
 
me and ferret #2
Cip, #1

told ya ;)

I'd like to hear what CA200 has to say, but he probably said it in the discussion last time :)
 
Then there is the fact that these are radial tires.....more worms. For a short close trip I could see it, but I would replace it as soon as funds allow.
 
"can of WORMS"!!..." can of GUMMY WORMS"!! you guys' replies,... did you do the pun(s) on purpose... or are you just naturally gifted that way?...(either way, I enjoyed the chuckle!)... if using a gummy worm method... use fresh glue, too... and perhaps also use the Ride-On product inside tire to "gum up the puncture" from the inside... kind of a back-up slurry inside the tire to further seal around the gummy worm...I, too, have used the "worms" both for emergency & also for more sedate longer term riding for a few more thousand miles out of tire... but getting a replacement tire as soon as $ cash flow is available & perhaps, if quite a few thousand miles are left in tire & puncture is small nail diameter size... get an inside patch done on tire & keep it as a backup...
 
I use the kind that doesnt require glue.

CIP once I've done 200 miles, I never give them a second thought.

Heck there are so many things to worry about all the time it's a wonder we can even enjoy riding motorcycles
 
I have plugged them and ran the tire until the tread was almost gone. Think about what kind of riding you are doing and where it is leaking at. Are you going 100+ mph on a very hot day? Are you doing burn outs? I would say take the tire off and patch it from the inside if you can. I know a lot of shops will not patch, or plug a tire. I would have no problem plugging a hole in a tire on this bike. That being said, just pay attention to the bike once it is done. If you feel the tire is doing strange things under you, then replace it.
 
Thanks popgun for the call up , but ya I am sure I commented last time. Like ferret said it is a big can of worms.
Being a motorcycle tire retailer did make me bias.
I always say replace it. We don't get that many miles out of motorcycle tires anyway why take the risk. We never plugged or repaired tires, and yes we did have some people walk out but not many. 80% of our customers were sport bikes or HD walk ins.
I had a relative get back into riding and would hang out at the shop and one day after a sport bike customer had been in and left he said
" now I know way you like those sport bike customers so much"
The customer had come it to brag that he got more the 2000 miles
out of his tire, all I did was smile:)
 
New Tire. I did not even think about it. Two wheels. I don't want that thing going on me in the middle of some highway. Dirt bikes sure.
 
Always seems to be new tires. My new 01 monster found a roofing nail.I removed the rear wheel, I believe the dealer patched it from the inside not a plug and it was in the middle of the tread, no problems with it.. Not for track days....
 
Like others that have responded, I've plugged tires and run thousands of miles on them. However, those were all bias ply tires. My Suzuki 650 V-Strom picked up a nail on a road trip so I plugged it and made it home okay but the plug started leaking so I replaced the tire. When I pushed the plug out to inspect it, I found that the radial cords had sliced almost through the plug. So on a radial tire like on the CB1100, my experience says that plug it to get home, but then plan on replacing it sometime in the near future.
 
from the LD riders (long distance/iron butt guys)website

Tire Repair

"Wal-Mart sticky string with a reamer and insertion tool is better. Repairs in belted radial tires last longer, it will plug more types/shapes of punctures, it takes up less packing space, no need to carry a vial of lube or glue, and is cheaper and easier to restock."

and

"You don't have to use the glue on most punctures. The reamer is sometimes necessary to enlarge the hole enough to insert the sticky string."

Monday, if I remember, I will contact the tire repair kit makers in the back of Rider and Road Runner magazine and see what they say about repairing the radial tires on our CB 1100s. Since almost all tires are radials these days, I am assuming the tire repair kit companies are still in business because their products work on radial tires, but I will ask.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys for all the input I think I'm going to plug it and ride it to the dealership to get a new tire I just am not a fan of taking unnecessary risks when it comes to motorcycles. Plus the nail is on the edge of the tread I can see it bulging out on the sidewall.
 
Probably the best thing ..surely the safest and best for your peace of mind.
 
Metally,

I put RLETS on my valve stems and now I can run over nails, spike strips, etc and NOTHING bad happens. I don't ever get tire wear! Heck I can even lean over enough to drag my elbow like the MotoGP guys and never lose traction! ;)
 
Back
Top