Tire Options for our CB1100

Cormanus... you are right, there's no obvious reason why I couldn't stick with the 110 on the front. Admittedly, I do primarily want the 160 for aesthetic purposes with accessing a better list of options as secondary reasoning. There is enough positive feedback on the 160 rear tire as an option that I feel confident going that route. I just wanted to make sure changing the front to rear width ratio didn't induce any adverse handling characteristics.

I'm leaning towards the 110 as I know it will "work", but wanted to apply some due diligence to make sure it was the best option first.
 
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Only reason I went with 120 on the front was cause I wanted the PR3. Seems like there aren’t a lot of great options for the 110.

Same here. Been running the PR 3s since my first tire swap. I'd have bought another 110 if it had been available, but had to buy the 120 this last time. It will go on (along with another 160 rear) as soon as my current set of PR3s wear out.
 
Yup! Put about 3k on this set of PR3s and I am very happy with them! A bit noisy, I suppose from the tread pattern, but a great tire otherwise.
 
Ordered my PR3s today. I still have maybe 4 or 5 thousand miles left on my Bridgestones (or whatever the stock tires are; i forget), but now I know I'll have them when it's time. Next season, it may have to be Metz or Pirellis or something.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Ordered my PR3s today. I still have maybe 4 or 5 thousand miles left on my Bridgestones (or whatever the stock tires are; i forget), but now I know I'll have them when it's time. Next season, it may have to be Metz or Pirellis or something.
I did the same thing and laid my bike down on a known "dead man's curve" in the local industrial park after some rain (a motorcyclist died there the previous year). Wish I had changed the tires immediately after receiving the Michelins.
 
good point. although, it's pretty unlikely that I'll be hitting anything that could remotely be referred to as "Dead Man's Curve" until after the new tires are installed.
 
Good point, also, Rocky. Although, that’s much less of a concern when you’re putting 10-12,000 miles/year.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Change your tires when they are worn down , not when they are worn out .
My stock tires only had 1000 miles on them when I laid her down. The rear wheel was trashed so I assume the tire is too. Anyone want a stock front tire with about 1000 miles on it cheap? I should have had the dealer put on premium tires before I left with the new bike. When you only ride on two tires they need to be the best available, not just "fairly good."
 
The Bridgestones are fine for me, much better than "fairly good". They handle well in the rain and the dry and they track pretty will. My issue with them is that they do not wear very well and I don't like the centerline groove in the front tire. I have never had a problem with them in the rain. That said, I like the PR3s better in the dry and in the rain, plus they wear well. IF I thought that these were terrible tires, I'd probably change them out, but they are perfectly fine tires for my purposes and I view it as a waste of my money to replace them while they still have many miles of life in them. They handled Tail of the Dragon in the rain without a misstep, so I'm not concerned.

I will be happy when the PR3s are mounted, but I will be happy until that happens, too.
 
c539546c5c59da4fdb400a6d44a4d51c.jpg
. Got a set to keep when needed.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Just installed a new set of Metzeler Z8's on my 2013. Just bought the bike from a dealer over a month ago. Had mismatched tires. Hidenau front tire with a Bridgestone rear. Date Cade's were 2011 and 2012 respectively.

Looking forward to trying the bike and the new Z8's as soon as the snow and salt are off the roads.
 
Marc_imp said:
Just installed a new set of Metzeler Z8's on my 2013. Just bought the bike from a dealer over a month ago. Had mismatched tires. Hidenau front tire with a Bridgestone rear. Date Cade's were 2011 and 2012 respectively.

Looking forward to trying the bike and the new Z8's as soon as the snow and salt are off the roads.
How are you liking the Z8's so far? My BT45 front is pretty worn and I'm debating putting another one of those on (rear looks okay) or getting a set of Z8's. Not happy with how quickly the BT45s wear on the front.
 
I confess that I have not gone back to read all 22 pages of this thread. That said, I want to add that I am liking the Dunlop Sportmax Touring tires that are OEM on my 2017 EX. I wouldn't use them on my Ducati, but for the CB1100 they are plenty grippy and confidence inspiring.
 
dr_rock_imp said:
Marc_imp said:
Just installed a new set of Metzeler Z8's on my 2013. Just bought the bike from a dealer over a month ago. Had mismatched tires. Hidenau front tire with a Bridgestone rear. Date Cade's were 2011 and 2012 respectively.

Looking forward to trying the bike and the new Z8's as soon as the snow and salt are off the roads.
How are you liking the Z8's so far? My BT45 front is pretty worn and I'm debating putting another one of those on (rear looks okay) or getting a set of Z8's. Not happy with how quickly the BT45s wear on the front.
How are you liking the Z8's so far? My BT45 front is pretty worn and I'm debating putting another one of those on (rear looks okay) or getting a set of Z8's. Not happy with how quickly the BT45s wear on the front. I just replaced a front Z8 that I got less than 6k on. I put a Dunlop Roadsmart 3 on, hopefully it will last longer.
 
I couldn't find a complete set of PR3s anywhere so I ended up with a mismatched set - PR3 on the back and PR4 on the front.

The bike handles much better now, hopefully these tires last longer than the stock ones. I have never had a front tire that needed replaced that quickly, it had 9980km and the canvas was showing through.

The PR4 sure is a loud tire, I can still hear it even with my earplugs in.
 
while I'm laid up I'm sending the CB in for some new PR3s. 120 front and 160 rear. I have 11,419 miles (18,377 kms) on the current set and they probably have another 500 miles in them, but might as well get it taken care of now and be ready to ride when I am.
 
Back
Top