Tire Options for our CB1100

Looking for a bit of feedback.... for those running a 160/60 on the rear, has anyone noticed a difference in the bike’s beahavior/handling when also switching to a 120/70 on the front (from the stock 110/80)?

Ideally, I’m hoping someone has run both front sizes with the 160 rear and can help me decide which front size is the “better” match. I’m primarily looking at the Pirelli Angel GT as my first option.
 
Redbirds runs the 120 front 160 rear combo.

I have that combo sitting in the garage since I will be due for tires before the Ky rally.
 
I was using the Pirelli Angel GT's before I switched to 17" wheels. 120/70 on the front and 160/60 on the rear. The tires definitely had much better grip than the stock tires. If I hadn't switched to the smaller wheels I would have gone back to the stock size on the front and kept the 160/60 on the rear. Even though the wider tires fit on the stock rims safely and I never felt like handling was poor, the tire profile was distorted a little from it's designed shape and I noticed a difference in handling when I switched to 17" wheels and had property sized tires for the wheels. I wouldn't recommend putting a wider tire on the front. The distortion in the profile was more pronounced than on the wider rear. For me the 160 on the rear was fine.
 
Flytech99_imp said:
Looking for a bit of feedback.... for those running a 160/60 on the rear, has anyone noticed a difference in the bike’s beahavior/handling when also switching to a 120/70 on the front (from the stock 110/80)?

Ideally, I’m hoping someone has run both front sizes with the 160 rear and can help me decide which front size is the “better” match. I’m primarily looking at the Pirelli Angel GT as my first option.
My original set of PR3s were 110/80 on the front and 160/60 rear. Last year before the Western Rally I replaced the front with a 120/70 (which was all that was available). I can honestly say that I couldn't detect any difference in handling on twisty mountain back roads.

My tire guy recommends going with a wider than stock tire on the front, if you've gone with a wider tire on the rear. The theory being that the overall geometry remains balanced. That may be, but personally, I really couldn't feel any difference.

Just one guy's opinion.
 
This is where I confess that I couldn't really tell the difference between the stock tires and the larger PR3 rear. It would be interesting to go backwards and see if I can, but, while I can continue to get the PR3, that's unlikely to happen.
 
Thank you, guys, for the info....

I wasn't expecting anything definitive as the 140 vs. 160 & 110 vs. 120 tire arguments are rather subjective. I see mostly positive feedback for running the 160 on the rear and just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a maximum benefit by pairing it with the 120 on the front. Aesthetically, I think the 110 really matches the proportions of the front of the CB (especially on an 18" wheel), so I'll probably just keep it simple and maintain the stock size up front.
 
purchased my bike with 2200 miles on it and now have a bout 6400 with little wear that i can see. it came with Avon Roadriders and i will probably replace them someday with the same. excellent brakes and never had the ABS kick in with plenty of spirited riding and stopping .
take that with a grain of salt because i dated all the ugly chic's in high school and was so happy with them :thumbsup:
 
use2b_imp said:
purchased my bike with 2200 miles on it and now have a bout 6400 with little wear that i can see. it came with Avon Roadriders and i will probably replace them someday with the same. excellent brakes and never had the ABS kick in with plenty of spirited riding and stopping .
take that with a grain of salt because i dated all the ugly chic's in high school and was so happy with them :thumbsup:
In the stock sizes, right?
 
use2b_imp said:
purchased my bike with 2200 miles on it and now have a bout 6400 with little wear that i can see. it came with Avon Roadriders and i will probably replace them someday with the same. excellent brakes and never had the ABS kick in with plenty of spirited riding and stopping .
take that with a grain of salt because i dated all the ugly chic's in high school and was so happy with them :thumbsup:
Ugly girls always try harder to please ....
 
Houtman_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
purchased my bike with 2200 miles on it and now have a bout 6400 with little wear that i can see. it came with Avon Roadriders and i will probably replace them someday with the same. excellent brakes and never had the ABS kick in with plenty of spirited riding and stopping .
take that with a grain of salt because i dated all the ugly chic's in high school and was so happy with them :thumbsup:
Ugly girls always try harder to please ....
 
Flytech99_imp said:
Looking for a bit of feedback.... for those running a 160/60 on the rear, has anyone noticed a difference in the bike’s beahavior/handling when also switching to a 120/70 on the front (from the stock 110/80)?

Ideally, I’m hoping someone has run both front sizes with the 160 rear and can help me decide which front size is the “better” match. I’m primarily looking at the Pirelli Angel GT as my first option.
Have ran both the stock sizes and the 120/160 PR3s. No discernible difference, besides more cornering confidence with the PR3s.
 
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Flytech99_imp said:
Looking for a bit of feedback.... for those running a 160/60 on the rear, has anyone noticed a difference in the bike’s beahavior/handling when also switching to a 120/70 on the front (from the stock 110/80)?

Ideally, I’m hoping someone has run both front sizes with the 160 rear and can help me decide which front size is the “better” match. I’m primarily looking at the Pirelli Angel GT as my first option.
Have ran both the stock sizes and the 120/160 PR3s. No discernible difference, besides more cornering confidence with the PR3s.
Have ran both the stock sizes and the 120/160 PR3s. No discernible difference, besides more cornering confidence with the PR3s.
Thank you for the feedback!

I’ll throw another question out there..... aesthetically, does the 120 look out of place on the front of the CB? I’ve only seen Redbirds’ recent photos of the PR3s so not much to go off of.
 
I can't tell much difference. Here are some pics of my CB wearing the 120 front tire.

f353dd7382ad9f42dc392d8986412d12.jpg


cda5bdcad55372126ffe150889c82555.jpg


0ec1a9496f601317f1ac89f338a92fc0.jpg


1e048c67ec6e16d918aa7c76e46058bc.jpg
 
Flytech99_imp said:
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Flytech99_imp said:
Looking for a bit of feedback.... for those running a 160/60 on the rear, has anyone noticed a difference in the bike’s beahavior/handling when also switching to a 120/70 on the front (from the stock 110/80)?

Ideally, I’m hoping someone has run both front sizes with the 160 rear and can help me decide which front size is the “better” match. I’m primarily looking at the Pirelli Angel GT as my first option.
Have ran both the stock sizes and the 120/160 PR3s. No discernible difference, besides more cornering confidence with the PR3s.
Have ran both the stock sizes and the 120/160 PR3s. No discernible difference, besides more cornering confidence with the PR3s.
Thank you for the feedback!

I’ll throw another question out there..... aesthetically, does the 120 look out of place on the front of the CB? I’ve only seen Redbirds’ recent photos of the PR3s so not much to go off of.
Have ran both the stock sizes and the 120/160 PR3s. No discernible difference, besides more cornering confidence with the PR3s.
Thank you for the feedback!

I’ll throw another question out there..... aesthetically, does the 120 look out of place on the front of the CB? I’ve only seen Redbirds’ recent photos of the PR3s so not much to go off of.
Nope. Not at all. At least in my opinion. I dont think anyone would ever know it was a 120 without reading the sidewall. Looks just as it should. Same with the 160 rear. Ill get a pic here this afternoon.
 
Thanks for the pics Flynrider & dbarkdoll...

I think from the pics the extra width is noticeable, but only if you compare the 110 and 120 back to back or side by side. It certainly doesn't look out of place or deformed on the narrow rim (from what I can tell). I'm set on getting the 160 on the rear so I'm gonna have to mull over what to do on the front now.... decisions, decisions.
 
Flytech, I'm not expert on tyres, but why wouldn't you go with the 110 on the front? Why use a different size when the stock one is fine? If Michelin suddenly produced a 140 rear in the PR3 I'd fit one.

At the time I changed to PR3s no radial tyres available in Australia would fit the stock rims. Hence I had to suck up the 160 rear or go with bias ply tyres. I'm on my third set of PR3s now and I probably won't change while I can still get them, but that's mostly because of the remarkable wear I've got out of them.
 
Back
Top