Tire Options for our CB1100

ULV, sorry, but you are wrong. LOL! I too love my Z8's But I have 4000 miles on them now and they still look nearly new. Granted, I am easy on them, but I'm thinking 8000 is doable. You are absolutely right! they are great tires! and I admire Metzeler for bringing them to the USA in our sizes!
 
Been meaning to tell you guys that I went to talk to the tyre man on Monday as my rear PR3 was showing signs of dying after 21,000 plus kms. We chattered away, lamenting the difficulty of getting tyres of the right size for the CB. He chased up an Avon option for me, which was a 150/70 and would have been closer to the OEM size. We explored a couple of bias ply options and then he asked me how many kms I'd got out of the PR3. I told him and he said, 'Why don't you stick with them?'

'Cause the don't make them any more,' I replied.

He walked over to the rack and said, 'Yes, they do. I got some in the other day.'

The CB now sports its third PR3 on the rear. 21,410 kms or just over 13,000 miles. I'm happy.
 
Jim, you've clearly been paying attention. Recently, no. Usually at this time of the year, yes. They've been ridden in hot and cold and dry and wet and loved it all.
 
I keep ordering front tires online in Michelin PR3 120/70-18 and they send tires with a 2014 date code (which I return). I got a rear 160/60-18 with 2017 datecode but no luck with the fronts. Anybody know where they have some fresh ones?
 
Hmmm... That's an interesting question Searcher, but it raises another question: Should I be worried about a 2014 date coded tire when I know that I will be replacing them due to wear by the end of 2018?
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Hmmm... That's an interesting question Searcher, but it raises another question: Should I be worried about a 2014 date coded tire when I know that I will be replacing them due to wear by the end of 2018?
I don't know but I will not be replacing the ones I have installed now for another season or two. I am just trying to lay in some replacements while I can still can find them. But 2014 tires may be 6 years old before I install them.

I researched the topic "dry rot" and the causes seem to be oxidation, UV light, ozone and a type of fungus. Using the tires causes wax infused in the rubber to "bloom" to the surface. Extrapolating from this I guess not using them may help cause them to dry out. Some recommend a product called 303 Protectant to preserve tires. I don't know if it works or not. Here are some links:

http://car-storage.com/article/tire-dry-rot/

https://www.polymersolutions.com/blog/why-does-rubber-dry-rot/
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks for the research! I appreciate it.
Word has it, according to Motorcyclist and other industry sources, that five years is the acceptable shelf life for tires.

Skip to 1:30 for the date information.


 
Kinda knew about the 5 year life span. What I was asking about was if there was a problem with using a new 4 year old tire that would likely be worn out before it's 5th birthday anyhow.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Kinda knew about the 5 year life span. What I was asking about was if there was a problem with using a new 4 year old tire that would likely be worn out before it's 5th birthday anyhow.
I would have thought so, but it sounds like you are good to go, unless you can actually see some cracking.
 
You might end up investing a lot of money in tires when all is said and done, but it's nice that you can buy older tires knowing that you'll wear 'em out before they're all dried out. I'm in just the opposite boat. I'm thinking more and more about the Metzeler Z8's and am hoping that I can find a relatively fresh set.
 
Guth_imp said:
You might end up investing a lot of money in tires when all is said and done, but it's nice that you can buy older tires knowing that you'll wear 'em out before they're all dried out. I'm in just the opposite boat. I'm thinking more and more about the Metzeler Z8's and am hoping that I can find a relatively fresh set.
I just got my rr 140/70-zr18 Metz Z8 mounted last week.
DOT label shows 0315 (3rd week, 2015) in the last number set.
It shipped out from Parts Unlimited. Imo, not the freshest product, but per Walker Tire on Lamar & Justin Lane ...
dc64e616a332d0b308a4fe969bd3310a.JPG
 
Imma tell yall a little story. been passin by this bike place for years, eyeballin a really old honda hurricane thinking... uh nah... then one day a pal of mine shows up on it. it had been sitting for years. it was obvious he hadn't put tires on it. I wanted to say something, because I had a spirited ride in mind on a really good road, but chose not to offend. I kept looking back the whole ride thinking any time now its coming. but it never did. half bald, dry rotted tires by any measure, and they did just fine. now, it was warm and dry out. I don't think they would have done the same in damp or cold. Not sayin it's wise, it's not. But I'm not sure I would pass up a good deal on a tire that's been sitting on a shelf in a climate controlled warehouse for use on the street. Here I go again... the street's not a racetrack... when I am forced by the rules to retire a race lid, I continue to use it on the street several more years. (similar idea)
 
I finally got a fresh front Michelin Pilot 3 tire from, of all places, Merry Old England. Website was "The Visorshop" datecode 35th week of '17. It is the stock 110/80-18 size too. It ended up costing about the same as the 4 year old tires I was getting from the U.S. websites and got here in a few days via DHL. Yippee!
 
Why would Michelin keep shipping the 110 to England and not here? Some things I just do not understand.
 
You going to keep those around until you wear out the originals boss?
 
Back
Top