Tire Options for our CB1100

Dunno, beardyweirdy. I'll check it out, although I hope I won't need new tyres for a bit.

EDIT: Just checked. They are available. Like the PR3 you can only get the 160/60 rear.
 
Please help me...I live in Italy and I have a beautiful Honda CB 1100 EX 2015 with spoked wheels. I've to change the tyres, but it seems to be impossible to find a pair of Dunlop D205 TubeType. Someone wants to put on a pair of Pirelli Sport Demon TubeLess, but I dont like.
Is it possible to mount TL tyres with tubes on spoked wheels? What I can buy instead of the Dunlop D 205 TT (I like these tyres).
Thank you, Marco.
 
superfebo_imp said:
Please help me...I live in Italy and I have a beautiful Honda CB 1100 EX 2015 with spoked wheels. I've to change the tyres, but it seems to be impossible to find a pair of Dunlop D205 TubeType. Someone wants to put on a pair of Pirelli Sport Demon TubeLess, but I dont like.
Is it possible to mount TL tyres with tubes on spoked wheels? What I can buy instead of the Dunlop D 205 TT (I like these tyres).
Thank you, Marco.
Dunlop D205's are V rated for 240kph. You should have no trouble fitting tubes but the tyre may generate a bit more heat but even going down one rating the tyre will be good for 210kph and most of us don't ride that fast. The only drawback is the D205 is a radial tyre and has internal ribs in a diagonal pattern for directional travel. If ridden hard they may cause chafing on the tube. I guess just try it and see.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I'm not sure what Michelin options there will be given that the PR3 has apparently been discontinued. The 18" wheels dramatically reduce the number of tyre options.

Pterodactyl has moved the Pirelli Angel GTs which, like the PR3, has an oversized rear. He's been happy with them, although they don't last in the way the PR3s seem to.
My experience with Pirelli Angel GTs, precisely.
 
superfebo_imp said:
Please help me...I live in Italy and I have a beautiful Honda CB 1100 EX 2015 with spoked wheels. I've to change the tyres, but it seems to be impossible to find a pair of Dunlop D205 TubeType. Someone wants to put on a pair of Pirelli Sport Demon TubeLess, but I dont like.
Is it possible to mount TL tyres with tubes on spoked wheels? What I can buy instead of the Dunlop D 205 TT (I like these tyres).
Thank you, Marco.
You could try this conversion product to make your wheels suitable for tubeless tyres

OUTEX : Clear Tubeless Kit [FR-CB11EX]

I have used this on my CB and it works perfectly. The front wheel is a little difficult to convert as it is so narrow however the rear wheel is very easy.
 
My 2014 standard is tubeless 140/70-18 on the rear, from the factory with Dunlop Sportmax radials (discontinued?)

Looks like the rear will need replacing by ~6,000 miles, probably by March, so I am checking what is available.

Since the front will probably outlast the rear by 3:1, I would expect a radial on the rear is necessary to avoid mixing bias and radials...although I no longer corner aggressively, so maybe that is not as important...but I do like to accelerate!

I avoid riding in the rain and am more interested in longevity. I traded the V7II just before it was due for a rear tire (~7,000 miles in 7 months). I think it had Pirelli Sport Demons and the rear lasted about the same as the Metzler on my Triumph. A Metzler 880 was the prime contender for the MotoGuzzi, but the only 140/70-18 I find is listed as a front tire.

The local Honda dealer provides "free" install. Don't know it if price is simply full retail or retail plus. Most tires I am looking at are in the $160 range.

Pirelli Sport Demon (bias)
Bridestone BT45 (bias)
Metzler ME880 (radial-rated front)
Metzler Roadtec Z8 (radial-dual compound)
Bridgestone BT54 (radial)
Shinko SR741 (radial)
Michelin Pilot Street (radial)

Opinions for my type of riding?
 
superfebo_imp said:
Please help me...I live in Italy and I have a beautiful Honda CB 1100 EX 2015 with spoked wheels. I've to change the tyres, but it seems to be impossible to find a pair of Dunlop D205 TubeType. Someone wants to put on a pair of Pirelli Sport Demon TubeLess, but I dont like.
Is it possible to mount TL tyres with tubes on spoked wheels? What I can buy instead of the Dunlop D 205 TT (I like these tyres).
Thank you, Marco.
I searched for Dunlop tires for my 2017 CB1100 EX. There are none here in North America. I believe they have been discontinued.

The only suitable tires I found were the Avon AM26 Road Rider. These are the tires used on the Triumph Bonnevilles. If you visit the local Triumph Dealer try to resist trading in your CB1100 EX for a pair of new tires mounted on a Bonneville.
 
Oh, nice pick, Nortoon! :thumbsup: I was going to reflect on how people used to change cages back in the day because the ashtray was full.

SportsterDoc, I’ve run BT54s which were one of two stock options for the bike. They’re no longer available in Australia. I’ve also run BT45s because they are one of the few options in the stock size. I’ve also run Michelin Pilot Road 3s, but the rear is large at 160/70. I’m on my second set and they’ve been great. Others have used them and been very happy. The problem? They’re no longer made. However, Pirelli Angel GTs in 160/70 for the rear get a good rap from my mate Pterodactyl who is on his second or third set.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
superfebo_imp said:
Please help me...I live in Italy and I have a beautiful Honda CB 1100 EX 2015 with spoked wheels. I've to change the tyres, but it seems to be impossible to find a pair of Dunlop D205 TubeType. Someone wants to put on a pair of Pirelli Sport Demon TubeLess, but I dont like.
Is it possible to mount TL tyres with tubes on spoked wheels? What I can buy instead of the Dunlop D 205 TT (I like these tyres).
Thank you, Marco.
I searched for Dunlop tires for my 2017 CB1100 EX. There are none here in North America. I believe they have been discontinued.

The only suitable tires I found were the Avon AM26 Road Rider. These are the tires used on the Triumph Bonnevilles. If you visit the local Triumph Dealer try to resist trading in your CB1100 EX for a pair of new tires mounted on a Bonneville.
I searched for Dunlop tires for my 2017 CB1100 EX. There are none here in North America. I believe they have been discontinued.

The only suitable tires I found were the Avon AM26 Road Rider. These are the tires used on the Triumph Bonnevilles. If you visit the local Triumph Dealer try to resist trading in your CB1100 EX for a pair of new tires mounted on a Bonneville. Oh, that's funny...really. You could consider a Street Twin, but you'd be getting Pirellis. Images on Triumph site also show Bonnevilles wearing Pirellis.
SportsterDoc_imp said:
My 2014 standard is tubeless 140/70-18 on the rear, from the factory with Dunlop Sportmax radials (discontinued?)

Looks like the rear will need replacing by ~6,000 miles, probably by March, so I am checking what is available.

Since the front will probably outlast the rear by 3:1, I would expect a radial on the rear is necessary to avoid mixing bias and radials...although I no longer corner aggressively, so maybe that is not as important...but I do like to accelerate!

I avoid riding in the rain and am more interested in longevity. I traded the V7II just before it was due for a rear tire (~7,000 miles in 7 months). I think it had Pirelli Sport Demons and the rear lasted about the same as the Metzler on my Triumph. A Metzler 880 was the prime contender for the MotoGuzzi, but the only 140/70-18 I find is listed as a front tire.

The local Honda dealer provides "free" install. Don't know it if price is simply full retail or retail plus. Most tires I am looking at are in the $160 range.

Pirelli Sport Demon (bias)
Bridestone BT45 (bias)
Metzler ME880 (radial-rated front)
Metzler Roadtec Z8 (radial-dual compound)
Bridgestone BT54 (radial)
Shinko SR741 (radial)
Michelin Pilot Street (radial)

Opinions for my type of riding?
Z8 Interact.

I use them currently on Z900R, Z650, and SV650. Very, very good tire with excellent grip and longevity. Can be run at very low pressures, too, due to a moderately stiff construction.

Good list of tires, btw.

Continental is making a brand-new Road Attack 3 just for the CB1100 (or any bike with the same wheel sizes). The bike must be more popular in Europe than it seemed.

Comes in 110/80-18 front (also a 100/80-18) as well as just a single rear size, perfect for the CB1100, 150/65-18.

Not available until the second quarter of 2018.

I would also highly recommend the Contis, which I've tried on the CB1100 and am currently using on my Street Cup. Those are Road Attack 2.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
My 2014 standard is tubeless 140/70-18 on the rear, from the factory with Dunlop Sportmax radials (discontinued?)

Looks like the rear will need replacing by ~6,000 miles, probably by March, so I am checking what is available.

Since the front will probably outlast the rear by 3:1, I would expect a radial on the rear is necessary to avoid mixing bias and radials...although I no longer corner aggressively, so maybe that is not as important...but I do like to accelerate!

I avoid riding in the rain and am more interested in longevity. I traded the V7II just before it was due for a rear tire (~7,000 miles in 7 months). I think it had Pirelli Sport Demons and the rear lasted about the same as the Metzler on my Triumph. A Metzler 880 was the prime contender for the MotoGuzzi, but the only 140/70-18 I find is listed as a front tire.

The local Honda dealer provides "free" install. Don't know it if price is simply full retail or retail plus. Most tires I am looking at are in the $160 range.

Pirelli Sport Demon (bias)
Bridestone BT45 (bias)
Metzler ME880 (radial-rated front)
Metzler Roadtec Z8 (radial-dual compound)
Bridgestone BT54 (radial)
Shinko SR741 (radial)
Michelin Pilot Street (radial)

Opinions for my type of riding?
I think that the longevity might be the problem with the Metzeler Z8s, but I would love to hear firsthand comments from anyone who has had them on their CB1100...handling in real world conditions and longevity are the key things for me.

I'd also like to hear from folks with the Pirellis Angel GTs for the same information...plus I'd love to hear from Pterodactyl again.

I have .... heck I don't even know.. whatever is stock on the 2013s in the US. I miss my PR3s a lot. I have 4k on these tires so I figure I have until about June before I'll need to replace them. Sure would be great to have the same confidence in my choice as I had with the Michilens.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
My 2014 standard is tubeless 140/70-18 on the rear, from the factory with Dunlop Sportmax radials (discontinued?)

Looks like the rear will need replacing by ~6,000 miles, probably by March, so I am checking what is available.

Since the front will probably outlast the rear by 3:1, I would expect a radial on the rear is necessary to avoid mixing bias and radials...although I no longer corner aggressively, so maybe that is not as important...but I do like to accelerate!

I avoid riding in the rain and am more interested in longevity. I traded the V7II just before it was due for a rear tire (~7,000 miles in 7 months). I think it had Pirelli Sport Demons and the rear lasted about the same as the Metzler on my Triumph. A Metzler 880 was the prime contender for the MotoGuzzi, but the only 140/70-18 I find is listed as a front tire.

The local Honda dealer provides "free" install. Don't know it if price is simply full retail or retail plus. Most tires I am looking at are in the $160 range.

Pirelli Sport Demon (bias)
Bridestone BT45 (bias)
Metzler ME880 (radial-rated front)
Metzler Roadtec Z8 (radial-dual compound)
Bridgestone BT54 (radial)
Shinko SR741 (radial)
Michelin Pilot Street (radial)

Opinions for my type of riding?
I think that the longevity might be the problem with the Metzeler Z8s, but I would love to hear firsthand comments from anyone who has had them on their CB1100...handling in real world conditions and longevity are the key things for me.

I'd also like to hear from folks with the Pirellis Angel GTs for the same information...plus I'd love to hear from Pterodactyl again.

I have .... heck I don't even know.. whatever is stock on the 2013s in the US. I miss my PR3s a lot. I have 4k on these tires so I figure I have until about June before I'll need to replace them. Sure would be great to have the same confidence in my choice as I had with the Michilens.
Appreciate the response. They are a dual compound, supposedly harder in the center and softer on the edges. What prompts the longevity concern?

If Metzler ME880s were available in what they designate as a rear tire, I think that would be my first choice.

I am not extremely particular, but now that I am on a Social Security income, want to make an economical decision, which might be the Shinko SR741, if I were mounting it myself. I changed all my tires until my first alloy M/C wheel, circa 2002.

BTW, I generally take it easy in first, then let 2nd or 3rd gear do the work once or twice during a ride. Keeps the front tire on the ground and probably saves some wear.
 
I was just repeating what I read in two or three other posts regarding tires. That's why I am hoping that someone with a CB1100 has installed and ridden on these tires and can provide a little more insight.

Also, "longevity" is relative, I guess. I put about 10,000 miles a year on my CB1100. I'd have to check, but I think I got 15,000 on my PR3s versus about 7500 on the original tires of my first 2013. I'd like to get at least 10k, but more like 15k out of whatever tires I buy. That kind of longevity may not be as important to others.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I was just repeating what I read in two or three other posts regarding tires. That's why I am hoping that someone with a CB1100 has installed and ridden on these tires and can provide a little more insight.

Also, "longevity" is relative, I guess. I put about 10,000 miles a year on my CB1100. I'd have to check, but I think I got 15,000 on my PR3s versus about 7500 on the original tires of my first 2013. I'd like to get at least 10k, but more like 15k out of whatever tires I buy. That kind of longevity may not be as important to others.
Got it!

For me, the worst wear was 3,000 miles on Dunlop K51s (very soft) originally on my 2002 Sportster 1200 Sport (stock was 79 ft lbs at 4,000 RPM-stage one was probably about 85 ft lbs). I don't remember re my 1976 CB750F, but with a Honda 350, Honda 360 etc., I got about 10K on the rear.

With the HP of the CB1100, would be happy with 8K, but only expect 6-7K. The Moto Guzzi might have gone 8K, possibly 9K miles, but it was only 48 HP at 6,500 and 40 ft lbs at 3,000.
 
My '78 CB750F came with a tubeless Dunlop K187 Mk II on the rear and a tubeless Dunlop Gold Seal F11 on the front. I don't remember what kind of mileage I got out of them, but in those days, if you wanted good performance and longevity, you'd install a Continental K112 on the rear and a Continental RB2 on the front. That's what the R100RT's came with and lots of touring riders soon adopted them. They too were tubeless bias-ply tires and worked fine on the '78 Comstar rims (though your '76 had spokes and required tubes).
 
Wear on the Z8 seems to be phenomenal.

I have them on my '17 Z900R and I don't spare the throttle or rear tire. I ride that bike for one reason only, to accelerate hard and occasionally lift the front wheel.

The rear tire hardly looks broken in and I'm pretty sure there are a couple thousand miles on it. And no traction control on that bike. Still has a very rounded profile.

I just put them on my 650's and found I could lower the pressure to 26F, 28R.

Seems crazy low but for twisty roads it's perfect.

I checked the hot pressure after getting back from a ride, front was only 30, rear was 31.5. 10 percent rise, just about perfect. And far more grip and feel than stock pressures for max weight.

Truth is I have the same issue that Pedrosa has, I can't get any heat into the tire because I'm so light. Carcass is really stiff for my weight. Lower pressure did the trick. As long as the pressure rise is about 10 percent, it's fine.

Along the same lines, I dropped the front in my ZX-10R (uses Metzeler M7RR tires, softer carcass, sportier compound) and it also rose to 30 psi from 28. But with 32 in the rear, I saw a rise to 36.5 psi. That's too much flex and heat in the tire. 34 psi rear, should be about right.

Freeways, I'd go quite a bit higher but still below max.
 
So, what you mean by “the wear seems phenomenal” is “I haven’t the foggiest notion about the wear because I only have 2000 miles on them and not on a CB and not in real world riding situations”. Helpful.
 
EmptySea, I know nothing about Angel GTs (other than a long ride early in 2016 to pick one up) or Pterodactyl's posting intentions, but I do know he considers them better than the PR3. I'm not sure they last as long. Sometime this year, I suspect I'll figure out what comes next.
 
Thanks, Cormanus. I was among several beneficiaries of Pterodactyl's experiences with the PR3s and I am concerned that I will wind up having to take a leap of faith on my next set of tires. Perhaps I should look at it as an opportunity to provide advise to others here who will be looking for a tread change.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
My '78 CB750F came with a tubeless Dunlop K187 Mk II on the rear and a tubeless Dunlop Gold Seal F11 on the front. I don't remember what kind of mileage I got out of them, but in those days, if you wanted good performance and longevity, you'd install a Continental K112 on the rear and a Continental RB2 on the front. That's what the R100RT's came with and lots of touring riders soon adopted them. They too were tubeless bias-ply tires and worked fine on the '78 Comstar rims (though your '76 had spokes and required tubes).
RB 2 / K 112: Tire line with proven, classic longitudinal tread

I only find the K112 in 4" wide for 18" rim. The stock 140/70-18 are 5.5" wide.

I only find the RB2 in 16" & 19", not 18". Also, my experience with a front ribbed tire is not comfortable on rain grooves parallel to travel.

Regarding Michelin Pilot Road 3 in other posts, I am not finding them in 140/70-18

http://motorcycle.michelin.co.jp/US/en/tires/products/pilot-road-3.html#
I am not finding the Pilot Street Radial in 18" for the rear.

For now, the likely contenders for radial 140/70-18 are

Bridgestone BT 54
https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tu...idgestone-battlax-bt54-motorcycle-tire/p/3360

Metzler Z8
http://www.metzeler.com/site/com/products/tyres-catalogue/Roadtec-Z8-Interact.html
 
Back
Top