Tire Options for our CB1100

Ingo, both my fronts have feathered like you describe.
I raised the air pressure another 2 lbs. about 700 miles ago and the tire wear appears to be returning to normal.
 
I'm interested in a different tire, too.

Had a scare today - someone pulled a cute move in traffic and I had to get on it. Tangent roadway and I didn't need to (and couldn't; traffic alongside) swerve; but I felt the rear slip out a little. Just a heavy toe locked up the rear.

Nothing wrong with the brake; it feels and sounds like it always does. The tire just lost adhesion with the road surface, which was dry concrete. If I'd been in a curve I'd be posting this from a hospital bed.

So...since it's too late to order the ABS model...I'd like a stickier rear tire.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Ingo, both my fronts have feathered like you describe.
I raised the air pressure another 2 lbs. about 700 miles ago and the tire wear appears to be returning to normal.
Thanks for that hint, I will try it out.
Wisedrum_imp said:
Same with mine.
No saw teeth in the long life of the original Bridgestone tires.

I may be wrong, but it has something to do with the way you drive and brake.:rolleyes:

We discuss the same topic in the German CB Forum with different conclusions,
aren't we Ingo?.

Wisedrum
Right - and I can give the same answer to that like in the German forum: I did not had this issue with my former bike (Transalp) on 3 different front tires. And 2 days ago I accidentally found that CB1100 on a parking lot with BT tires and having the same issue. ;)
So I do not believe the only reason is my way of driving/breaking.
 
Maybe, Ingo, it's the different landscape we are driving in.
Mine is really flat, with some little hills involved. Whereas yours?
Mountain after mountain, curves over curves? I don't know.

I found out, that the shape of the streets plays a not to underrate role in the way the
kilometers form the tires.

But after all, your saw teeth are still a mystery in my eyes, because I haven't
experienced them 'til now.

The only thing I do, I keep away from a hard used front break as often as I can. Maybe this
will help with your problem.

Wisedrum
 
I have to say, on the one hand, I was happy to see others were having the feathering issue. With the first tire I thought maybe it was defective, but when the second tire started doing it, I was thinking maybe there was an alignment or a balance problem or some such. This shouldn't be happening on a bike engineered so well. Then I remembered years ago with an FZ1 I had a similar problem and an old, wizened, grizzly bike mechanic told me it was from running too low a pressure. I started running a couple more pounds and never had the issue again. So I did the same on the CB. I have about 850 more miles since I raised the air pressure and it appears the tire is slowly un-feathering itself. I don't have much longer on this tire and have a T-30 ready to go. I'm interested in trying out the more modern tread pattern. I'll run it at +2 from the get go and see what happens.
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
Maybe, Ingo, it's the different landscape we are driving in.
Mine is really flat, with some little hills involved. Whereas yours?
Mountain after mountain, curves over curves? I don't know.

I found out, that the shape of the streets plays a not to underrate role in the way the
kilometers form the tires.

But after all, your saw teeth are still a mystery in my eyes, because I haven't
experienced them 'til now.

The only thing I do, I keep away from a hard used front break as often as I can. Maybe this
will help with your problem.

Wisedrum
Well - I am born at the foot of the Black Forest, so I would say that it is flat where I actually live - meaning: close to Odenwald and Pfälzer Wald. ;) But compared to your location it is indeed full of hills and little mountains. And whenever I drive, I try to avoid flat and straight roads because these roads make no fun for me. :) Sometimes I visit my parents at home and drive through the Black Forest hills/mountains. Last year when my first front tire showed that feathering, it was directly after a Alp mountain tour (5 days).

But again: I drove the same way and the same ways with my former bike (Transalp 700) and had never such issues.
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I have to say, on the one hand, I was happy to see others were having the feathering issue. With the first tire I thought maybe it was defective, but when the second tire started doing it, I was thinking maybe there was an alignment or a balance problem or some such. This shouldn't be happening on a bike engineered so well. Then I remembered years ago with an FZ1 I had a similar problem and an old, wizened, grizzly bike mechanic told me it was from running too low a pressure. I started running a couple more pounds and never had the issue again. So I did the same on the CB. I have about 850 more miles since I raised the air pressure and it appears the tire is slowly un-feathering itself. I don't have much longer on this tire and have a T-30 ready to go. I'm interested in trying out the more modern tread pattern. I'll run it at +2 from the get go and see what happens.
Thanks for your hint! :thumbsup:
I normally drive with 2,5 bar (front) and 2,9 bar (rear), now I increased the front tire pressure to 2,8 bar. I will try and see how it works the next days and weeks.
Should I increase the rear tire pressure too?
 
Today I talked with my Honda dealer and arranged an appointment for the 12.000 km service. Additionally, I ordered a pair of tires too as the current Pirelli Sport Demon seem to break down much more quickly than at the beginning. Below 3 mm of profile left on the rear tire, so it would not last more than additional 1.000 km I guess.
I ordered the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact (I also thought of taking the Bridgestone T30). Pair price 300 EUR.
 
Hi Everyone:

Quite a bit of great back and forth on this topic, but I'm hoping someone with experience can answer a couple of questions.

First, let me start by telling you that I've had my bike for around 200 days and I've got 1559 miles on it and now have a bad leak in the back tire that cut the pressure by 20 lbs in a day.

My bike came with the Dunlop D205's, but the dealer cannot locate a replacement, so they are recommending replacing both tires. Given the low miles, I'm struggling with this recommendation, so I'm looking for some advice.

1. Is there an available rear tire that closely matches the characteristics of the Dunlop D205?

If not, I'm likely going to switch and this forum has suggested both Bridgestone BT 45's and 54's ... I can get the 45's much faster than I can get the 54's, so I might have to go that route, but I'd first like to know ...

2. if anyone had tires other than Dunlop D205's for their original equipment?

and finally

3. ...any opinions on mismatching tires for a rider who might be a fast driver but not overly aggressive in the turns?

Thanks,
Glenn
 
glennrcompton_imp said:
Hi Everyone:

Quite a bit of great back and forth on this topic, but I'm hoping someone with experience can answer a couple of questions.

First, let me start by telling you that I've had my bike for around 200 days and I've got 1559 miles on it and now have a bad leak in the back tire that cut the pressure by 20 lbs in a day.

My bike came with the Dunlop D205's, but the dealer cannot locate a replacement, so they are recommending replacing both tires. Given the low miles, I'm struggling with this recommendation, so I'm looking for some advice.

1. Is there an available rear tire that closely matches the characteristics of the Dunlop D205?

If not, I'm likely going to switch and this forum has suggested both Bridgestone BT 45's and 54's ... I can get the 45's much faster than I can get the 54's, so I might have to go that route, but I'd first like to know ...

2. if anyone had tires other than Dunlop D205's for their original equipment?

and finally

3. ...any opinions on mismatching tires for a rider who might be a fast driver but not overly aggressive in the turns?

Thanks,
Glenn
Glenn, mine came with BT54's as original equipment. You can buy them on-line at Chaparral.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/pro...sport-touring-radial-front-tire/330-0370.aspx
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/pro...t-touring-radial-rear-tire/330-0371.aspx?sc=y
 
LongRanger_imp said:
glennrcompton_imp said:
Hi Everyone:

Quite a bit of great back and forth on this topic, but I'm hoping someone with experience can answer a couple of questions.

First, let me start by telling you that I've had my bike for around 200 days and I've got 1559 miles on it and now have a bad leak in the back tire that cut the pressure by 20 lbs in a day.

My bike came with the Dunlop D205's, but the dealer cannot locate a replacement, so they are recommending replacing both tires. Given the low miles, I'm struggling with this recommendation, so I'm looking for some advice.

1. Is there an available rear tire that closely matches the characteristics of the Dunlop D205?

If not, I'm likely going to switch and this forum has suggested both Bridgestone BT 45's and 54's ... I can get the 45's much faster than I can get the 54's, so I might have to go that route, but I'd first like to know ...

2. if anyone had tires other than Dunlop D205's for their original equipment?

and finally

3. ...any opinions on mismatching tires for a rider who might be a fast driver but not overly aggressive in the turns?

Thanks,
Glenn
Glenn, mine came with BT54's as original equipment. You can buy them on-line at Chaparral.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/pro...sport-touring-radial-front-tire/330-0370.aspx
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/pro...t-touring-radial-rear-tire/330-0371.aspx?sc=y
Glenn, mine came with BT54's as original equipment. You can buy them on-line at Chaparral.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/pro...sport-touring-radial-front-tire/330-0370.aspx
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/pro...t-touring-radial-rear-tire/330-0371.aspx?sc=y
Thanks Long Ranger ... that settles what I'm going to do if I have to buy a new set .... (I'm still hoping the local shops Dunlop rep can locate a stray Dunlop replacement).
 
Glenn, lots of people here have moved over to Michelin PR3s and are very happy with them. Have a search for any number of threads on the topic. My bike came with the OEM Dunlops. When I had to replace them neither the Dunlop not Bridgestone OEM tyres were available and I went with the BT45s, which are not a radial tyre. I had two sets of them and was pretty happy util the last one developed a nasty rip. After that I changed to the PR3s and like them very much.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Glenn, lots of people here have moved over to Michelin PR3s and are very happy with them. Have a search for any number of threads on the topic. My bike came with the OEM Dunlops. When I had to replace them neither the Dunlop not Bridgestone OEM tyres were available and I went with the BT45s, which are not a radial tyre. I had two sets of them and was pretty happy util the last one developed a nasty rip. After that I changed to the PR3s and like them very much.
Thank you Cormanus ...

... on first look, I'm not finding matching sizes for the Michelins, what size did you end up running?
 
Just checked the condition of my Michelin PR3s. Rear is getting close. Maybe another 1,000 - 1500 miles left in it. Front still looks good. No feathering or cupping on either tire. They have 10,138 miles on them. Will get changed before heading to the rally. I run 38 front 40 rear psi in my tires.
 
glenrcompton - see the thread Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club in the Accessories/Modifications section of this forum.
Ken
 
Glen, go here: Bad start to the day

and read my post, then keep going to Cormanus' post.

And what Redbird said.
 
glennrcompton_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Glenn, lots of people here have moved over to Michelin PR3s and are very happy with them. Have a search for any number of threads on the topic. My bike came with the OEM Dunlops. When I had to replace them neither the Dunlop not Bridgestone OEM tyres were available and I went with the BT45s, which are not a radial tyre. I had two sets of them and was pretty happy util the last one developed a nasty rip. After that I changed to the PR3s and like them very much.
Thank you Cormanus ...

... on first look, I'm not finding matching sizes for the Michelins, what size did you end up running?
Thank you Cormanus ...

... on first look, I'm not finding matching sizes for the Michelins, what size did you end up running?
Save you the thread jump if you haven't made it.

Cormanus_imp said:
I've got the 110/80 on the front and the 160/60 on the rear. redbirds has put a 120 on the front and says it's great.
Here too—Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club
 
Do you know where it's leaking? If it's a bad valve stem, that is an easy fix. Or pull the tire, find the hole and plug it. Get some mileage out of it before you dump it. It will also give you time to search tires.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Do you know where it's leaking? If it's a bad valve stem, that is an easy fix. Or pull the tire, find the hole and plug it. Get some mileage out of it before you dump it. It will also give you time to search tires.
Turns out there is an actual nail in the tire, pretty much in the center and maybe into a tread, I'm not sure.

I've ordered a BT54 for the rear because it was going to take too long and too much more money to get another Dunlop D205. Once off, I'll take better pictures in case anyone here would like to pick up a D205 with only 1560 miles and a small hole!
 
Do they do professional tire plugs (I. E, demount and adhesive plug from within) for motorcycle tires like they do for cars? I wouldn't trust the little roadside tar plugs, but getting a proper repair I'm sure would be fine.

It would break my heart to throw out a tire with the paint still on it.
 
kmoney_imp said:
Do they do professional tire plugs (I. E, demount and adhesive plug from within) for motorcycle tires like they do for cars? I wouldn't trust the little roadside tar plugs, but getting a proper repair I'm sure would be fine.

It would break my heart to throw out a tire with the paint still on it.
It's not making me too happy either, but no one I've called who should have the experience to patch it will, they say it's too much of a liability.
 
Back
Top