Tire mileage

Ghost_diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi guys

I'm running the stock Bridgestones on my cb1100 and the front tire wear bars are showing after 8500 kms (a replacement has already been ordered). The wear is even, and, although the bike has done some kilometers on the highway, most of the time I ride on side roads. Most of these kilometers were done with a pillion, and the back tire looks fine, with plenty of rubber left on it.

I was wondering what your experience was with this? Is this the normal mileage for the BTs? Is it usual for a front tire to wear out before the back one?

Thanks
 
Yes, it seems to be the case. Odd compared to the normal 1 front/2 rear wear ratio.
I got a little over 5k miles from the first front, have 7k miles on the second which will need to be replaced shortly.
Have a T-30 I'm going to try next.
I like the Bridgestones.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, I'm glad it isn't just me.:)

No complaints about the tire itself, I just thought it would last longer and the back one would wear out first.
 
My bike came with the OEM Dunlops. I replaced them after 15,600 kms. Neither the OEM Dunlops or Bridgestones were available in Australia by then, so I put on a set of BT45s. They lasted 11,400 kms and the rear tyre had worn more than the front. I then put on a second set of BT45s and replaced them with PR3s after 9800 kms when the dealer found a nasty tear in the rear tyre. Again the rear was more worn than the front, but I would have got at least another 2000 kms out of it.

On the basis of my experience, the front wearing more quickly is odd and 8500 kms seems a relatively short life.
 
Just replaced the original front tire at 5,777 miles. The rear tire was replaced by the original owner at about 4,000 miles


before
And here she is with fresh tires


 
Thread starter
Well, it looks as it may be a quirk of the BT 54 in combination with the bike? I'm not a very aggressive rider, so I don't think it is really a factor.

What really seems strange to me is the front tire wearing out first.

Anybody has any theories on why this might happen?
 
I have one. Measure the tread depth on a new oem front tire. We did this in 2013 I think. It was ( going by memory here) 5/32 with a replacement due at 2/32. 3/32 on an inch doesn't give you many miles.

An aftermarket tire (I think) gives you 7/32 of tread.

I'll see if I can find the thread.

See post 7 in this thread... Wow only 4/32 with a replacement at 2

Tire wear

Notice if you measure tread used per 1000 miles the rear is wearing faster than the front as we all would expect, there just isn't much tread on the front so you go thru what tread is there before you run thru the deeper rubber on the back.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Ferret.

I'll measure this one and the new one as soon as it goes on the bike.

But, by sight, the wear marker is almost flush with the surface of the tire.

I'll try to get some pictures of it tomorrow when the sun is out.

Do you have any theories on why the front is wearing out faster than the back?
Never mind, I have to read the thread through. Thanks!
 
See my post above which I edited. it's actually not wearing faster than the rear, it just appears so.
 
Thread starter
I just read it, thanks. I jumped the gun there, sorry...

When the new tire is on, I'll measure the depth and get back to you guys.
 
There is a thread on here somewhere about the mileage I got on my original set, but I can't remember exactly what it was. I think I went 9000 miles on the front and 15 or 16000 on the rear and probably could have pushed both a bit further than I did.
Now with my second front tire I smacked a piece of roadway concrete that was in the middle of the lane at about 75 mph on my way to work one morning in the dark and, as it turned out, I rode on a completely flat tire for more than 20 miles with no ill effect to the tire (other than the original puncture that caused the flat in the first place). The steering was a bit heavy, but the but felt completely under control and there was no hint of wobble, shake or vibration, just heavyness.
This is why I will stick with the original Bridgestones for as long as I can. This experience gave me all sorts of confidence that I never would have expected and that I have not seen with other tires.
Kids....don't try this at home.
 
Thread starter
20 miles on a flat? Wow... That just goes to show you you can learn something new every day, I never thought that was actually possible on a motorcycle.
But then again, my riding experience is limited and have never experienced a flat (knock on wood...)

I guess I'll be sticking with the BTs for now...:)

The tire should be available be the end of the week, so no worries.
 
I have 7300 miles on my OEM Bridgestones. Front wear bars are about 500 miles from popping. Looks like I can get about another 2000 miles on the rear.
Have two new Bridgestones in the basement standing at attention ready to be put in to service.
 
Thread starter
7300 miles works out to almost 12000 km... That was more in line to what I was expecting from the BTs.

Maybe I can squeeze some more out of the new one...
 
Did most people get Bridgestones as OEM? Mine came with the Dunlops.
 
Could be either or

Mine came with Dunlops too ( both of them)
 
That's what I though Ferret. I don't get to try a set of cool tires as I have a spare set of the Dunlops I got when tires were almost not available. You probably remember that time in latter '13.
 
Ghost_diver_imp said:
7300 miles works out to almost 12000 km... That was more in line to what I was expecting from the BTs.

Maybe I can squeeze some more out of the new one...
I'm not sure what makes some BT54s last longer than others. My front was showing wear bars at 5K miles (8K Km) and was totally bald by 6K miles (around 9.5K Km). I thought it might have something to do with the extreme heat here in the desert. Softer rubber compounds tend to wear faster when hot.

My rear tire ran to 9.5K miles (about 15.5K Km), but wore unevenly in the latter third of its life.

Overall, I expected better performance. I switched to Michelin Pilot Road 3s. So far, the front has 4K miles on it and still looks new. Definitely better (for me) than the BT54s.
 
I'm almost at 5K miles and still waiting for the Bridgestone OEM tires to go away so I can put a set of my favorite Michelin Pilot Roads on.
 
Back
Top