Tire life span

olafurarason_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Excuse me if this is an repost.

What is the life span of tires?

I have CB1100 which is manufactured at the year of 2014. Sold from dealer 2016 and driven 2.300 km.

What is the condition of the tires? They appear unused, like new.

When is it time to replace the tires?
 
^^+1^^
Tires made after 2000 have a four-digit DOT code. The first two numbers represent the week in which the tire was made. The second two represent the year. A tire with a DOT code of 1613 was made in the 16th week of 2013... and this is most likely what you ride on = very bad!
 
I few weeks ago I rode a 2003 Harley Davidson with original tires. Personally I would have replaced them, but during the ride they appeared to be visually and functionally sound.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the answers.

I know that this has been discussed here before, but what tires and where to buy do you recommend?
 
I had few different sets of 18" tires which are more difficult to attain than other sizes. A couple of times, I went from 110 to 120 for the front and 140 to 160 for the rear due to limited size availability.
The best IMHO are Michelin

#1 Michelin: PR4 GT, Michelin Road 6, (PR3 - don't think these are being made)
#2 Pirelli Angel GT - presently have three mounted on my DLX/f-110 and STD/f-110, r-160
#3 Metzeler Roadtec Z8 on my DLX/r-140

Where to buy in Iceland, you have to check online and your local supplier(?)
 
olafurarason_imp said:
Thanks for the answers.

I know that this has been discussed here before, but what tires and where to buy do you recommend?
I take it you are on tubed spoked wheels? That limits your choice somewhat. Better looking to see what local suppliers in your area can offer. I went with a Bridgestone T31 in stock sizes after converting my wheels to tubeless but Bridgestone did support the use of a tube with that tyre too. I found looking for tubed tyres quite difficult in Ireland.
 
Hard to tell from the avatar picture, but it looks to me like the front wheel is alloy not spoked.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Hard to tell from the avatar picture, but it looks to me like the front wheel is alloy not spoked.
signatures states 2016EX Cormanus. Were all EX's spoked?
 
I missed that important detail, Tev. You’re most likely correct. To the the best of my knowledge, the 2014-16 EXes were all spoked; the DLX had alloy wheels. Given olafurarason is in Iceland, I guess the bike got there via Europe. So pending further updates, let’s go with spokes.
 
This is what he says:
I have CB1100 which is manufactured at the year of 2014.
Must be an alloy?
 
His signature says 2016 CB 1100EX. I believe all the EX's came with spoked wheels, did they not?

I'm a little confused as to why a 2016 CB EX would be manufactured in 2014
 
olafurarason_imp said:
Thanks for the answers.

I know that this has been discussed here before, but what tires and where to buy do you recommend?
here we goooooooo....

time for me the evangelize for my favorite tires again: Avon Spirit STII. make sure you get the 160/60 rear. in terms of performance and longevity these tires give the best cornering confidence you can get with the exceptional longevity they offer.
peterbaron_imp said:
I had few different sets of 18" tires which are more difficult to attain than other sizes. A couple of times, I went from 110 to 120 for the front and 140 to 160 for the rear due to limited size availability.
The best IMHO are Michelin

#1 Michelin: PR4 GT, Michelin Road 6, (PR3 - don't think these are being made)
#2 Pirelli Angel GT - presently have three mounted on my DLX/f-110 and STD/f-110, r-160
#3 Metzeler Roadtec Z8 on my DLX/r-140

Where to buy in Iceland, you have to check online and your local supplier(?)
as far as i Know the PR4 and Road 6 will not offer a size that fits our bike on front and rear. If they did I would ditch my Avons in a heartbeat, but alas.
 
m in sc_imp said:
i got just 3000 miles out of the front tire on my 14, same as yours, new in '16 holdover.

i thought the 54s wear was garbage. just hit 5000 on the rear, then swapped them out with avons.

at a hair over 10k total, the avons look way better than the bt54s did at less mileage.
Totally agree. Managed to get over 13K on them, and they still had meaningful life, but boy did they behave poorly at times.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
olafurarason_imp said:
Thanks for the answers.

I know that this has been discussed here before, but what tires and where to buy do you recommend?
here we goooooooo....

time for me the evangelize for my favorite tires again: Avon Spirit STII. make sure you get the 160/60 rear. in terms of performance and longevity these tires give the best cornering confidence you can get with the exceptional longevity they offer.
peterbaron_imp said:
I had few different sets of 18" tires which are more difficult to attain than other sizes. A couple of times, I went from 110 to 120 for the front and 140 to 160 for the rear due to limited size availability.
The best IMHO are Michelin

#1 Michelin: PR4 GT, Michelin Road 6, (PR3 - don't think these are being made)
#2 Pirelli Angel GT - presently have three mounted on my DLX/f-110 and STD/f-110, r-160
#3 Metzeler Roadtec Z8 on my DLX/r-140

Where to buy in Iceland, you have to check online and your local supplier(?)
as far as i Know the PR4 and Road 6 will not offer a size that fits our bike on front and rear. If they did I would ditch my Avons in a heartbeat, but alas.
as far as i Know the PR4 and Road 6 will not offer a size that fits our bike on front and rear. If they did I would ditch my Avons in a heartbeat, but alas.
Mark,

The PR4 you are talking about is a totally different tire and N/A in 18"..

...unlike the PR4 GT and Road 6 are available in 18", BUT you missed the first paragraph where it says:
A couple of times, I went from 110 to 120 for the front and 140 to 160 for the rear due to limited size availability.
:beerchug:
 
I request a link to where the 18" rear tire michelin road 6 is available....i didnt think that existed in any size.

Doing a quick review of some of the usual websites the rear tire is not sold at all in 18
 
The ferret_imp said:
His signature says 2016 CB 1100EX. I believe all the EX's came with spoked wheels, did they not?

I'm a little confused as to why a 2016 CB EX would be manufactured in 2014
Ferret, I’ve always suspected that most of the stock from 2015 and 2016 was probably manufactured in 2014 and sold over the following 2 years. It’s just a hunch on my part, but I don’t recall seeing any evidence from the VIN research I’ve done that there was any manufacturing in either of those years. The Canadian black 2016 standards might be an exeception. I’ve not seen a VIN for one.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
His signature says 2016 CB 1100EX. I believe all the EX's came with spoked wheels, did they not?

I'm a little confused as to why a 2016 CB EX would be manufactured in 2014
Ferret, I’ve always suspected that most of the stock from 2015 and 2016 was probably manufactured in 2014 and sold over the following 2 years. It’s just a hunch on my part, but I don’t recall seeing any evidence from the VIN research I’ve done that there was any manufacturing in either of those years. The Canadian black 2016 standards might be an exeception. I’ve not seen a VIN for one.
Ferret, I’ve always suspected that most of the stock from 2015 and 2016 was probably manufactured in 2014 and sold over the following 2 years. It’s just a hunch on my part, but I don’t recall seeing any evidence from the VIN research I’ve done that there was any manufacturing in either of those years. The Canadian black 2016 standards might be an exeception. I’ve not seen a VIN for one.
If I won't forget, I'll get you the Canadian black 2016 std VIN during my next/unspecified Honda dealer visit.
...or we may ask Bioman about the 10h VIN character of his black/checkered flag 2016 CB std.
It should be G.
 
Back
Top