Tire Changing & Balancer equipment ?

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
I pay a mechanic a minimum of $100 to have my tires changed ... sometimes more. Thinking about DIY. Looks like I need to buy (a) tire irons, (b) wheel shield, [c] replacement valves, (d) weight kit, and (e) a balancer. Amazon has all this stuff, but I just don't know "what works". Any suggestions? Thanks :)
 
There are 2 parts to this. Removing the wheels from the bike, and then removing/installing the tire. For a shop with modern equipment, the more time consuming part is removing/reinstalling a wheel. If you are able to do this with confidence, I recommend bringing the wheel to a shop to have them do the second part.

For the second part, you would have to break the bead, and then use tire levers to remove/install the tire, then balance it. This is far harder to do at home.

I have a Coats 220 mechanical changer bolted to a large base at home that has a bead breaker, and a mechanical 3-point clamp. It still takes a lot of effort and patience and care, and you can still bruise your knuckles, the rim, and the tire.

I would not try any of the lighter duty tire changing stands - they are designed for dirt bikes and still work best with more hands on deck.
 
To each his own, but I remove the wheel and happily pay the shop the going rate to install and balance a new tire.
I take the wheel in first thing in the morning and pick it up a couple of hours later - sometimes it gets done while I wait.
I change the tires myself on my vintage bikes, but to wrestle with a modern tubeless tire is more aggravation than I want to tackle.
 
I change my own tires. Not that difficult. Youtube has a few good videos that give you all the right tips and tricks.

I use Motion Pro bead breakers which double as nice tire levers. I have a couple of sets of rims guards to minimize scratching my rims, a few other tire spoons. A Motion Pro Bead Buddy really helps to keep the opposite working edge of the bead from slipping. A cheap balance stand is a must and gets pretty good results. A good spray on bead lube also helps the process. I tried the zip tie trick once - not much different level of effort in my opinion.
 
I’m with Rocky. I can easily pull the wheels myself and am not too proud to have the shop change the tires. $25 per wheel “off the bike” — it’s money well spent. It costs even less if I buy the tires from the shop (I usually don’t).
 
I buy my tires from my local dealer , take the wheels of myself . If I bring the wheel into the shop I can leave 30 minutes later with everything done. To me it is not worth the struggle to do it myself and having to buy all the equipment and tools.
 
Ride in with old shoes, ride out with new ones. Done.
Now, I'd rather spend that time riding than replacing bike tires.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Ride in with old shoes, ride out with new ones. Done.
Now, I'd rather spend that time riding than replacing bike tires.
I generally agree.

However, it appears to be some sort of rite-of-passage on the ADV forums to be able to change your own tires.

I understand there is something organic and whole - though I don't recall that myself.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Ride in with old shoes, ride out with new ones. Done.
Now, I'd rather spend that time riding than replacing bike tires.
That's me too. Ride to the shop and let them do everything start to finish at a cost of €20 per wheel (€10 if it was a loose wheel). Meanwhile I'll drink their free coffee and browse shop for helmets, clothing, accessories etc. I wouldn't change enough tyres to warrant having the equipment myself.
 
Tev62_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Ride in with old shoes, ride out with new ones. Done.
Now, I'd rather spend that time riding than replacing bike tires.
That's me too. Ride to the shop and let them do everything start to finish at a cost of €20 per wheel (€10 if it was a loose wheel). Meanwhile I'll drink their free coffee and browse shop for helmets, clothing, accessories etc. I wouldn't change enough tyres to warrant having the equipment myself.
That's me too. Ride to the shop and let them do everything start to finish at a cost of €20 per wheel (€10 if it was a loose wheel). Meanwhile I'll drink their free coffee and browse shop for helmets, clothing, accessories etc. I wouldn't change enough tyres to warrant having the equipment myself.
I haven't got to the stage of needing to change my tyres yet, but I wonder could you recommend a good place in Dublin that might do the job with minimum collateral damage to the rims?

Thanks,
Simon
 
I have replaced my own street bike tires, but today I remove the wheels from my street bikes and take them to the shop to have the new tires mounted and balanced. If you mount them yourself, then you need to be really careful not to scratch the rims (if you care about having scratched rims, like I do). I drop them off at a local bike shop early on a Saturday morning, then go across the street to have breakfast while I wait. By the time I am done eating my new tires are mounted and ready to go. They charge me $25.00 per tire, and I always give them a $5.00 tip per tire because they do it while I wait. I continue to replace all of my dirt bike tires myself because I don't care about the balance, and small scratches on a dirt bike rim don't bother me.
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
I have replaced my own street bike tires, but today I remove the wheels from my street bikes and take them to the shop to have the new tires mounted and balanced. If you mount them yourself, then you need to be really careful not to scratch the rims (if you care about having scratched rims, like I do). I drop them off at a local bike shop early on a Saturday morning, then go across the street to have breakfast while I wait. By the time I am done eating my new tires are mounted and ready to go. They charge me $25.00 per tire, and I always give them a $5.00 tip per tire because they do it while I wait. I continue to replace all of my dirt bike tires myself because I don't care about the balance, and small scratches on a dirt bike rim don't bother me.
Hey Mr Dave ... what local bike shop to you go to?
 
Dave_imp said:
I have replaced my own street bike tires, but today I remove the wheels from my street bikes and take them to the shop to have the new tires mounted and balanced. If you mount them yourself, then you need to be really careful not to scratch the rims (if you care about having scratched rims, like I do). I drop them off at a local bike shop early on a Saturday morning, then go across the street to have breakfast while I wait. By the time I am done eating my new tires are mounted and ready to go. They charge me $25.00 per tire, and I always give them a $5.00 tip per tire because they do it while I wait. I continue to replace all of my dirt bike tires myself because I don't care about the balance, and small scratches on a dirt bike rim don't bother me.
That definitely sounds like the way to go. Shop labor rate in the US is about $90-100/hour, and sometimes they don't charge for weights or tire disposal. It's a bargain.
 
bflint_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
I have replaced my own street bike tires, but today I remove the wheels from my street bikes and take them to the shop to have the new tires mounted and balanced. If you mount them yourself, then you need to be really careful not to scratch the rims (if you care about having scratched rims, like I do). I drop them off at a local bike shop early on a Saturday morning, then go across the street to have breakfast while I wait. By the time I am done eating my new tires are mounted and ready to go. They charge me $25.00 per tire, and I always give them a $5.00 tip per tire because they do it while I wait. I continue to replace all of my dirt bike tires myself because I don't care about the balance, and small scratches on a dirt bike rim don't bother me.
Hey Mr Dave ... what local bike shop to you go to?
Hey Mr Dave ... what local bike shop to you go to? Lee's Cycle Services on Aero Drive. Check your private message.
 
I used to change my own tires, 40 years ago, not any more. Tires seem much tougher now, and I do not want to scratch the rims, which I would. I used to change them on my Suzuki 100 and my old CB 175. The shop I use charges and arm and a leg, $100 on the bike and $50 off the bike. but, I still will not attempt it. It is money well spent to keep my rims new looking.
 
spechg_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Ride in with old shoes, ride out with new ones. Done.
Now, I'd rather spend that time riding than replacing bike tires.
That's me too. Ride to the shop and let them do everything start to finish at a cost of €20 per wheel (€10 if it was a loose wheel). Meanwhile I'll drink their free coffee and browse shop for helmets, clothing, accessories etc. I wouldn't change enough tyres to warrant having the equipment myself.
That's me too. Ride to the shop and let them do everything start to finish at a cost of €20 per wheel (€10 if it was a loose wheel). Meanwhile I'll drink their free coffee and browse shop for helmets, clothing, accessories etc. I wouldn't change enough tyres to warrant having the equipment myself.
I haven't got to the stage of needing to change my tyres yet, but I wonder could you recommend a good place in Dublin that might do the job with minimum collateral damage to the rims?

Thanks,
Simon
That's me too. Ride to the shop and let them do everything start to finish at a cost of €20 per wheel (€10 if it was a loose wheel). Meanwhile I'll drink their free coffee and browse shop for helmets, clothing, accessories etc. I wouldn't change enough tyres to warrant having the equipment myself.
I haven't got to the stage of needing to change my tyres yet, but I wonder could you recommend a good place in Dublin that might do the job with minimum collateral damage to the rims?

Thanks,
Simon

Cotters probably change more tyres than any shop in Ireland, they have a lot of experience. They have very large stocks but I'd give them a ring as there is a good chance they won't stock a tubed tyre that you might want.
 
I haven't :sgot to the stage of needing to change my tyres yet, but I wonder could you recommend a good place in Dublin that might do the job with minimum collateral damage to the rims?

Thanks,
Simon
[/QUOTE]

Cotters probably change more tyres than any shop in Ireland, they have a lot of experience. They have very large stocks but I'd give them a ring as there is a good chance they won't stock a tubed tyre that you might want.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tev62, I'll try Cotters when the time comes.

Simon
 
Back
Top