Tips to reduce noise level in helmet

Just FYI, apparently there's a right way and a wrong way to insert earplugs. I didn't know that until recently. It involves pulling at the top of your ear in order to open up the ear canal.

 
Rebel73_imp said:
Just FYI, apparently there's a right way and a wrong way to insert earplugs. I didn't know that until recently. It involves pulling at the top of your ear in order to open up the ear canal.

Learn something new every day -- apparently I've been doing it wrong for 15+ years.
 
I have known the correct way to insert earplugs for years... I just never do it. I know I should, but I just don't like what I hear when I put them in, which is my ears ringing lol
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
The Vortex has (unnecessary) vents just below and behind where your ears are. I removed the liner and blocked those vents with duct tape then replaced the liner. I feel it reduced the noise slightly. Not a huge improvement but a noticeable one. I imagine if you were to take the added step of adding some foam in the area of the vents, then taping them up, it would help even more.
That helmet is noisy by design, which is a poor design in my book. I've gone though a few vanity helmets over the years, and this is one of the bad ones. God rid of it just a few days later. It helps to buy helmets in the store, so the exchange process is fast and painless.

My current winter helmet is Scorpion EXO-500, and while mediocre at best, it's surprisingly quiet and warm. Clearance price under 100.
 
specialist8_imp said:
Geezer, I usually can't wear earplugs as I'm either listening to music, gps, or using my intercom. I paid way too much on my Sena to not use them most all the time ;)
I have a Sena 20S and wear NRR 31db foam earplugs 100% of the time. You can hear the Sena just fine with ear plugs in because you don't hear all that wind noise. Of course, you'll need to raise the volume, and the quality and total loudness depend on the source material/media device (the radio on my Trophy is quite a bit louder than my phone). I can have full on phone conversations with my earplugs in without any trouble.

I have a decent amount of hearing loss at only 41 years old and there's no way on Earth I'd ride without ear plugs.
 
I wear earplugs with my bluetooth system as well. I also wear either a balaclava or a Buff. I find that a buff around my neck and pulled over mouth (and sometime nose) deflects or diffuses enough of the air coming into my HJC helmet to make a significant reduction in noise. That's without even covering or plugging my ears.
 
I tried several types of earplugs and wasn't pleased until it got the No-Noise plugs. I got them from RevZilla, but they are all over the web.

Motorcycle Accessories - RevZilla

The silicone material lasts forever, is easy to clean. They contain a ceramic insert that blocks specific frequencies while allowing others to come through. There are a few different "tunings" available, for shooting, sleeping, etc. Now, I don't know much about all that, but I can say that they block a lot of the wind noise while allowing me to hear my bluetooth clearly and I can have conversations at red lights with riding buddies without a problem.

Two considerations...
1) Some complain that they can't remove them easily because the "stem" is a bit short and they can't grab them with their fat fingers. I haven't had that problem because I have scrawny fingers.
2) The ones I have are clear and if you drop one, it's gone forever. They have made day-glow colors and RevZilla shows bright orange ones on their site, but when I have ordered them, they have come in clear. I called to fuss and they said that stock is stock and they can't control what color they have on the shelf. They were willing to take them back, but I am living with them.

I almost always use them now. It took some getting used to not hearing so much of the engine, etc, but I adjusted pretty quickly.

Interestingly, I find that I ride differently when wearing them. Without all the noise, I shift at higher RPMs than without the plugs. This was more pronounced with my hi-vibes KLR650, but still true with the CB. I shift based on the "feel" of the bike, rather than the "noise" of the bike. If that makes sense.
I can also ride for much longer without needing a break because less noise means less stress. And at the end of the riding day, I feels much less "jangled" than I did without the plugs.
Your results may vary :thumbsup:
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have known the correct way to insert earplugs for years... I just never do it. I know I should, but I just don't like what I hear when I put them in, which is my ears ringing lol
Yes, tinnitus sucks! I have some due to years of auditory abuse during my youth!
 
Yes it does Rob. Shooting guns as a kid, listening to rock n roll as a teen and sub adult, riding street bikes without earplugs for 50 years and racing 2 stroke motorcycles for 10 years has taken a terrible toll on my hearing. Pretty loud ringing 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year is the result. At this point the air noise at speed actually drowns out the ringing giving some relief from that. Imagine wanting loud air noise so you don't hear the ringing. Sad. You do learn to pretty much ignore it, otherwise you'd never sleep, but I'd really rather not have it in the first place, and wish I had protected my hearing my whole life.

I would recommend anyone who's ears are not ringing now, wear some ear protection in any loud environments, including riding a motorcycle.
 
Great advice ferret!
I have a little bit of it, but I only hear the high pitched hiss if I'm in a very quiet place.
I didn't have it before I came back to bikes in 1992. This is why I now wear ear plugs all the time. It can't be reversed and I don't want it to get any worse.
 
Thread starter
MTC - Does volume come through fine from either intercom or music when wearing the earplugs? I'm pretty young so I'd like to protect my hearing as much as I can but I also listen to music/take calls on my SENA whenever I'm riding around.
 
I just got my bike last year so I don't have extensive riding experience like most of you. However, my hobby/business for the last 20+ years does expose me to pretty loud sounds (gun fire) and I have tried to protect my hearing the best I can. I mostly use my molded plugs but I also like the Surefire Ear Pro Sonic Defenders and I keep a pair in my range bag in case I lose or forget my main ones.

HERE is a good place to get them.
 
I usually use noise isolating in-ear headphones. Serves as an ear plug and music/phone/intercom source in one. Excellent noise reduction, but the only problem is that depending on volume, you can't hear emergency vehicles.
 
kmoney_imp said:
I usually use noise isolating in-ear headphones. Serves as an ear plug and music/phone/intercom source in one. Excellent noise reduction, but the only problem is that depending on volume, you can't hear emergency vehicles.
Me too. Pterodactyl put me on to them. They are at least as good or better than earplugs and mean I can hear a GPS on the occasions I need to use one.

It's worth heading Ferret' wise words too—

The ferret_imp said:
Yes it does Rob. Shooting guns as a kid, listening to rock n roll as a teen and sub adult, riding street bikes without earplugs for 50 years and racing 2 stroke motorcycles for 10 years has taken a terrible toll on my hearing. Pretty loud ringing 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year is the result. At this point the air noise at speed actually drowns out the ringing giving some relief from that. Imagine wanting loud air noise so you don't hear the ringing. Sad. You do learn to pretty much ignore it, otherwise you'd never sleep, but I'd really rather not have it in the first place, and wish I had protected my hearing my whole life.

I would recommend anyone who's ears are not ringing now, wear some ear protection in any loud environments, including riding a motorcycle.
 
I actually wore some of the kids gel plugs today on my rides. Comfortable and somewhat effective I think. Will give them some more testing.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I actually wore some of the kids gel plugs today on my rides. Comfortable and somewhat effective I think. Will give them some more testing.
I did the same and was pleasantly surprised. The silicone gels are far more comfortable than anything I've tried before. Money well spent.
 
Back
Top