Tips to reduce noise level in helmet

specialist8

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just purchased the Bell Vortex Band Helmet: Full Face Motorcycle Helmets | All Full Face Helmet Brands - RevZilla

Didn't really know how to gauge the 'noise level' rating Revzilla set out as this is such a subjective rating and Rev's description for this helmet really went out of it's way to say that the noise-reducing wind collar really helps. Put the helmet on and took the bike on the highway and the wind at high speeds (anything over 45mph) was really a bother as there was a constant whirring noise that was distracting. I've been wearing a Scorpion EXO-700 before this helmet and it's surprisingly a quality helmet for the price. Even the more elaborate ventilation system on my new Bell seems inferior to my Scorpion's.

With all this in mind, I really do like the comfort of my Bell helmet, but the wind noise is the only concern. Do products like this Windjammer really work?

http://www.amazon.com/WINDJAMMER-REDUCES-Helmets-original-copied/dp/B003FHLNVK

I also just got the SENA intercom system (SMH10) and am told that the windjammer sleeve is probably going to go around it. How does that even work? I don't think I can get a refund for the helmet as I got it off ebay (brand new though) and mistakenly threw away all the packaging. Selling it will be a hassle too so trying to improve it would be fine with me.

Currently riding without a windshield, so I know this doesn't help, but my EXO-700 is quiet even in those conditions too.

TL;DR: I really want to keep this helmet but how do I lessen the wind noise?
 
Thread starter
Geezer, I usually can't wear earplugs as I'm either listening to music, gps, or using my intercom. I paid way too much on my Sena to not use them most all the time ;)
 
It's amazing how much wind noise comes up through the base of the helmet. Scrunch your head down to your shoulders to hear the difference.
 
The Vortex has (unnecessary) vents just below and behind where your ears are. I removed the liner and blocked those vents with duct tape then replaced the liner. I feel it reduced the noise slightly. Not a huge improvement but a noticeable one. I imagine if you were to take the added step of adding some foam in the area of the vents, then taping them up, it would help even more.
 
Would the earbud adater for your Sena be a possibility? I usually ride with noise isolating earbud headphones (Shure Se425) and they block out most of the wind noise.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
It's amazing how much wind noise comes up through the base of the helmet. Scrunch your head down to your shoulders to hear the difference.
When I rode with EarsOnWheels last week, he was wearing a scarf. I poked a bit of fun at him, but he explained that it keeps the wind noise way down. May need to get a scarf myself!
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
It's amazing how much wind noise comes up through the base of the helmet. Scrunch your head down to your shoulders to hear the difference.
When I rode with EarsOnWheels last week, he was wearing a scarf. I poked a bit of fun at him, but he explained that it keeps the wind noise way down. May need to get a scarf myself!
When I rode with EarsOnWheels last week, he was wearing a scarf. I poked a bit of fun at him, but he explained that it keeps the wind noise way down. May need to get a scarf myself!
No joke, it works! I don't wear a scarf, but use a neck warmer. Keeps a lot of wind from entering the bottom of the helmet. Also offers a bit of protection from bugs hitting the throat.

And custom earplugs from Costco. Best $65 I ever spent. You can also get custom earplugs that integrate a pair of earbuds. A bit more expensive, but also work extremely well.

All that said, I've discovered get much less wind noise when I stand up on the pegs. I think the Dart flyscreen might be sending turbulent air to my neck/head area. Obviously standing on the pegs isn't a solution, so I've just lived with it.
 
I have the same exact Bell Vortex Band helmet. It's loud as he**. Even with earplugs, which I wear faithfully, the wind noise is noticeable, drowning out the Sena. In marked contrast to my Schuberth, which is so eerily quiet, you can hear your thoughts, and the Sena works fine. Only answer is the highest DB- killer plugs you can find, or use the helmet for lower speed around town riding.
 
specialist8_imp said:
Just purchased the Bell Vortex Band Helmet: Full Face Motorcycle Helmets | All Full Face Helmet Brands - RevZilla

Didn't really know how to gauge the 'noise level' rating Revzilla set out as this is such a subjective rating and Rev's description for this helmet really went out of it's way to say that the noise-reducing wind collar really helps. Put the helmet on and took the bike on the highway and the wind at high speeds (anything over 45mph) was really a bother as there was a constant whirring noise that was distracting. I've been wearing a Scorpion EXO-700 before this helmet and it's surprisingly a quality helmet for the price. Even the more elaborate ventilation system on my new Bell seems inferior to my Scorpion's.

With all this in mind, I really do like the comfort of my Bell helmet, but the wind noise is the only concern. Do products like this Windjammer really work?

http://www.amazon.com/WINDJAMMER-REDUCES-Helmets-original-copied/dp/B003FHLNVK

I also just got the SENA intercom system (SMH10) and am told that the windjammer sleeve is probably going to go around it. How does that even work? I don't think I can get a refund for the helmet as I got it off ebay (brand new though) and mistakenly threw away all the packaging. Selling it will be a hassle too so trying to improve it would be fine with me.

Currently riding without a windshield, so I know this doesn't help, but my EXO-700 is quiet even in those conditions too.

TL;DR: I really want to keep this helmet but how do I lessen the wind noise?
Yes, I've found that the Windjammer does help quite a bit at higher speeds due to keeping the wind from rushing in around the bottom portion of the helmet. However, the shape of Bell helmets (mine is a Bell RS-1) seems to create extra noise at very high speeds (75+ mph). That's when my ear plugs come in handy! BTW, my recently installed StreetShield EX reduces wind noise quite a bit as well.
 
specialist8_imp said:
Geezer, I usually can't wear earplugs as I'm either listening to music, gps, or using my intercom. I paid way too much on my Sena to not use them most all the time ;)
If earplugs are out, another alternative that works (that I've also used) is earphones that seal in the ear canal...

Used to be that High End Etymotics were the only ones (that I knew of)... costly stuff, but now there are cheaper sealing earphones that may not sound as good as Etymotics, but on the road the lower sound quality doesn't really matter.

The ones I use now run about $20 and are great...
 
I've tried most every type of ear plug around including the type that mold to your ear and none have worked for me. I always experience pain from them, some are better than others but all become too uncomfortable to wear. I use the muff style hearing protectors at my shooting range with no problem of discomfort. I need a truly quiet helmet. I will probably go for the Schuberth C3.
 
Be sure and try one on, most uncomfortable helmet I ever had on my head was a $700 Schuberth ( not sure of model it was a one piece full face)
 
I have the Bell Vortex also. I bought some over the counter moldable foam ear plugs and put 2 of these in each of the small ear vent holes inside the helmet just behind the ear padding. It did help somewhat. I have a Road Comet windscreen on my CB and that also helps with wind noise. Good luck with it.
 
With a name like Vortex, perhaps the wind noise is a 'feature?' In my case, the wind noise inside the helmet would probably be drowned out by the voices inside my head... :D
 
The ferret_imp said:
Be sure and try one on, most uncomfortable helmet I ever had on my head was a $700 Schuberth ( not sure of model it was a one piece full face)
When looking for a new helmet I searched for the quietest modular helmet. That led me to the Schuberth.

I found the Schuberth C3 modular was known to have a pressure point on the forehead for certain head shapes. The C3 Pro is redesigned to eliminate the issue.

So far I like helmet very much.

Not sure if the full face version had the same issue.

They are spendy. I was at the dealer twice and spent a while walking around while wearing the helmet before I pulled the trigger.
 
The Schuberth C3 does, indeed, create a hot spot for some. Ill- fitted C3 owners are readily identifiable by the red blotch on their forehead, and the ever present bottle of Tylenol. There is a solution, however. Install the lining from the non- modular S3, which is thinner and more compliant. It worked wonders for me.
 
Thread starter
Was away from the internet all weekend, but damn what a lot of good input I see here. Really appreciate the tips and I'll be sure to use them when needed. Until then, I'm going to find myself trying to return the Vortex helmet (anyone have a spare BELL helmet packaging? I threw mine away and the seller needs it for a full refund). I'd put to use the suggestions you all gave, but like I said before I have the SENA headsets and I intend to use them very frequently so plugging my ears is not an option.

I've been using my Scorpion helmet EX-700 in the meantime and may opt for another one (my gf will be inheriting this helmet so I need to grab another) as the quality is really good for the price. Maybe when my bike's paid off I'll look into Schuberth's, but now is not the time.
veech_imp said:
With a name like Vortex, perhaps the wind noise is a 'feature?' In my case, the wind noise inside the helmet would probably be drowned out by the voices inside my head... :D
hahahah that is truly funny and unfortunately I don't have any voices in my head to drown that 'vortex' out
metallyguitarded_imp said:
The Vortex has (unnecessary) vents just below and behind where your ears are. I removed the liner and blocked those vents with duct tape then replaced the liner. I feel it reduced the noise slightly. Not a huge improvement but a noticeable one. I imagine if you were to take the added step of adding some foam in the area of the vents, then taping them up, it would help even more.
Good tips, but though the ventilation is nil on these to begin with I'd fear that blocking those vents would even be more suffocating...I think I just need to replace the helmet at this point.
 
Specialist8, I think I still have my Bell packaging from my Mag9 helmet I just bought earlier this year. I will check when I get home tonight to be sure, but you can have it. Do you still have my mobile #? If not, I will PM you with it.
 
Back
Top