Tink's Mods

TINK_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Mods are on the bench ready to go!
Should take delivery of my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe next week... if all goes well.

Race Tech fork springs, CHECK!
IKON Shocks, CHECK!
British Customs Gaiters, CHECK!
Honda Engine Guards, CHECK!
BMW Sport Hand Grips, CHECK!



TINK
 
Wow, nice collection of mods!
 
I would be interested in the shock improvment as well. How much do they cost?
 
IKON shocks will set you back around $400 shipped. I had a pair on my bike and experienced a noticable improvement in performance, both comfort and handling.
 
Thanks CB
 
Thread starter
popgun, CB is right about the IKON shocks. I put a pair on my 1979 BMW R100S and love them. http://www.photosbytink.com/project-s/

I'm still waiting the arrival of my CB1100, so at this time I have no experience with the IKON's on a CB1100,. yet. I did get to ride a CB1100 for a weekend and knew from experience that the rear shocks were not up to the task for my weight and riding style when pushed in the canyon roads of So Cal.

As for the Race Tech fork springs; Almost every Honda I've owned has gotten a fork spring upgrade. I'm 220 lb with full gear and the Honda OEM fork springs are just not enough to support my weight and the style of sport/touring riding I do.
 
Thread starter
Wouldn't happen to know the Honda part number for black fork gaiter clamps would you Ack-CB11?

Got me a DIY fork oil level tool, good to go there.

TINK

Ack-CB11_imp said:
If you order gaiter clamps for a Honda dirt bike, they come in black.

Parts look good, Fun Fun

You'll need one of these too,



Are those springs progressive?
Hyper-pro's on the left look different. Stock is on right

[url=http://s303.photobucket.com/user/ACKCR500/media/Springs001.jpg.html]
http://s303.photobucket.com/user/ACKCR500/media/mproforkoillevelgauge.jpg.html
 
CB4ME_imp said:
IKON shocks will set you back around $400 shipped. I had a pair on my bike and experienced a noticable improvement in performance, both comfort and handling.
CB4ME, you say you had a set on your bike. What have you replaced them with?
 
Thread starter
Race Tech springs are not progressive, they are fixed rate springs, I bought springs rated 1.1 kg/mm for my weight.

Ack-CB11_imp said:
If you order gaiter clamps for a Honda dirt bike, they come in black.

Parts look good, Fun Fun

You'll need one of these too,



Are those springs progressive?
Hyper-pro's on the left look different. Stock is on right

[url=http://s303.photobucket.com/user/ACKCR500/media/Springs001.jpg.html]
http://s303.photobucket.com/user/ACKCR500/media/mproforkoillevelgauge.jpg.html
 
Thread starter
BMW Hand Grips:



Honda Chrome Engine Guards:



Removed silly oversize license plate holder with U.S. DOT mandated reflectors.


TINK
 
Love the chrome engine guards. They look great but I gotta ask about the grips. Its hard to tell in pictures of course but what do you like about the BMW grips so much better?
 
Thread starter
It is hard to tell from a picture... but the BMW grip taper out and get larger at the outer ends, the Honda grips are the same diameter all the way across. The added diameter of the BMW grips help keep my hands from cramping. In the past I used Flanders Jack Hammer grips for years because they too were fatter than the Honda OEM grips.

Flanders Jack Hammer grips:
 
TINK_imp said:
It is hard to tell from a picture... but the BMW grip taper out and get larger at the outer ends, the Honda grips are the same diameter all the way across. The added diameter of the BMW grips help keep my hands from cramping. In the past I used Flanders Jack Hammer grips for years because they too were fatter than the Honda OEM grips.

Flanders Jack Hammer grips:
Appreciate the explanation. Sounds like a personal thing one way or the other. Cant wait to hear what you think of the CB1100. :thumbsup:
 
Tink - great pictures of gleaming chrome everywhere. Excellent mods! What a way to start off with a new machine!

Cormanus - IKONs replaced with Ohlins.
 
Looking good Tink.

Care to do a tutorial with pics when you get around replacing the fork springs to add to our HOW to section?
 
Love the pics, Thanks

Just curious why honda made the right side guard a different shape than the left?
 
Thread starter
LOL, too funny... about the time you were writing this message, ferret, I was in the garage putting the Race Tech springs in my bike. Yes, I took many (too many) photos along the way and will do a write up on the process.

In summary, spring change went easy, just one trick required ;-)

TINK


The ferret_imp said:
Looking good Tink.

Care to do a tutorial with pics when you get around replacing the fork springs to add to our HOW to section?
Modifications complete: Race Tech front springs, IKON rear shocks, Honda chrome Engine Guards, BMW hand grips, British Customs fork gaiters, removed U.S. DOT mandated rear license plate reflector bracket and removed front fork reflectors.



Full report to follow...

TINK
 
TINK_imp said:
LOL, too funny... about the time you were writing this message, ferret, I was in the garage putting the Race Tech springs in my bike. Yes, I took many (too many) photos along the way and will do a write up on the process.

In summary, spring change went easy, just one trick required ;-)

TINK


The ferret_imp said:
Looking good Tink.

Care to do a tutorial with pics when you get around replacing the fork springs to add to our HOW to section?
Modifications complete: Race Tech front springs, IKON rear shocks, Honda chrome Engine Guards, BMW hand grips, British Customs fork gaiters, removed U.S. DOT mandated rear license plate reflector bracket and removed front fork reflectors.



Full report to follow...

TINK
Man, those RED springs are just killing it ! (in the complimentary sense)..
All your photos so far will be ending up as screen backgrounds on my computers, they look so good !
 
Back
Top