Time to trade down

Mikestib1_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
A guy offered me $5700 for my 1100 so i may buy a Yamaha Fz07. The Yam is f ugly but fortunately when you're riding it you don't see the insect resemblance. Wish I could afford them both.
 
What do you find attractive in owning an FZ-7 ?

Just asking.

We are fortunate to own several motorcycles, and are not partial to any one size or brand or style - except that I'm way too old to ride a super-sport bike.
 
Thread starter
Dude
Compared it to an insect, it's no super sport, has great brakes, motor, suspension, light weight, accolades from testers, that's good enough for me. Owned a cb750k1, Z1R, cb1100f, and zrx1100.
Light weight twins are more fun to me. It took a Tl1000s and 2 900 Ducatis for me to realize it. Enjoy your big 4
Should have posted in General Discussion
 
I was given a FZ-09 to ride for the day while my CB500XA was in for maintenance. What a hoot!

I was a little intimidated at first, but by the times I reached the twisties I was very comfortable. The Yamaha weighs less than my CB twin, so I was pleasantly surprized with the handling. The brakes, although not ABS, proved to be excellent when a deer ran across the road in front of me. Unfortunately I found I could only use about half of what the motor had to offer. The only time that day I used 6 gear was coming down an on-ramp. It reached 25 kilometers over the speed limit in seconds.

My CB500 felt like a scooter on the way home. But everything returned to normal on my next day ride. More fun to ride a small bike fast, than a big bike slow.
 
Mikestib1_imp said:
Dude
Compared it to an insect, it's no super sport, has great brakes, motor, suspension, light weight, accolades from testers, that's good enough for me. Owned a cb750k1, Z1R, cb1100f, and zrx1100.
Light weight twins are more fun to me. It took a Tl1000s and 2 900 Ducatis for me to realize it. Enjoy your big 4
Should have posted in General Discussion
Was fishing for your opinion on the differences between that CB1100 and the FZ-7. Fairly familiar with the FZ-7, but never rode one. Have had an FZ-6 though.
 
great bike
no suspension, needs it bad but what bike doesn't
ermax touring screen and you have a great bike
put an akr pipe and wake the neighbor hood half mile away
you will love it
its really a great bike but it aint a cb
 
I downsized too after a major accident. In fact I took my first ride on a new 2016 CB500F today after 4.5 months off a bike.

Smaller, lighter bikes have their attractions. If I had the money a 2017 CB1100 would be in the garage, but the 500 cost less than half.

Good luck on the new bike!
 
That is good news CB4ME. Guess I don't have to tell you to be safe huh?
 
I went to a dealer with the intention of buying the Yamaha, heard great things about their triple plus the lighter weight was what I was really searching for. Saw the CB11 and got it instead. Picked up a CB500X later on, quite a nice little bike too.
Lots of good bikes out there, choosing "yours" is hard work but fun.

Glad you're back on 2 wheels CB4ME, frightening write up of your experience.
 
I'd like to make a cautionary point about believing in what testers say. They rarely give bad reviews and they are often misleading. A few years ago Ducati was all the rage among mc magazine testers. My son's fiancé bought him one based on those reports. She chose it over the Triumph Triple which wasn't getting the glowing reports the Ducati was. By all measurements the Triumphs ended up being the better motorcycles. My son won't ride his Ducati more than 25 miles from home for fear of mechanical failure.

Another example is the first year Yamaha FZ-09. Oh man the rave reviews. Unfortunately the first year bikes had horrible fueling and were barely rideable, but it wasn't until the second year that the motorcycle rag testers admitted to that.

I have ridden the FZ-07 two different years and gave my opinions on them here. All I will say is I would never give up my CB1100 for one, but what I really mean to say is take magazine testers
reviews with a grain of salt, and if at all possible get a test ride on a motorcycle you are interested in before plunking your money down.
 
How much advertising will be sold if testers give negative reviews?

As a "well seasoned" motorcyclist with the ability to purchase a motorcycle after a satisfactory test ride it is darn hard finding a dealership that allows pre-purchase test rides. Frustrating.

Buying a bike based solely on looks is a common lament.
 
Although in my opinion it has gone downhill recently, subscribe or pick up a copy of Motorcycle Consumer News if you're interested in reading unbiased motorcycle road test reviews. They don't accept advertising and only report things as they see them. I'm not terribly fond of the new editor but that's just me.
 
Gun magazines are the same way. You really have to read between the lines in any of the magazines.
 
I feel it's best to almost ignore a test review from a source that accepts advertising $$$ from manufacturers. You have to read and reread those reviews a couple of times to get the gist of the review sometimes.

A recent review went like this... (somewhat paraphrasing) "You need to be certain to be in the correct gear at all times." "You won't be able to keep it in one gear for a while like you may be used to..." Of course that tells me the bike in question is underpowered but they won't come right out and say that. Test ride whatever you're interested in yourself and decide.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
I downsized too after a major accident. In fact I took my first ride on a new 2016 CB500F today after 4.5 months off a bike.

Smaller, lighter bikes have their attractions. If I had the money a 2017 CB1100 would be in the garage, but the 500 cost less than half.

Good luck on the new bike!
Small light bikes are fun. If I were to downsize I would consider the new Suzuki sv 650. They redesigned it and it's a lively V twin plus it's cheap.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
If I believed all the cycle rag reviews I would have never purchased a Moto Guzzi V7 but man that would have been a huge mistake.

Most of those guys are weenies...
 
Well said Ferret, when you've been riding and riding bike mags long enough you soon see that often last years darling is this years howler.

if I'm interested in a bike i usually seek out a review of the model that followed it. It gives you a better perspective when the writer focuses on which of the previous models faults have been improved.
 
Back
Top