Time... sigh

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
8507b5c1038a66d0b586cdd057a005fe.jpg
 
I dunno.. I’ve been walking around Indianapolis for the past week for work. Been perfectly dry. A little cold maybe, but if I had a bike here I’d be out riding.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I dunno.. I’ve been walking around Indianapolis for the past week for work. Been perfectly dry. A little cold maybe, but if I had a bike here I’d be out riding.
... oh, of course, I forgot southern Californication. :)
 
Thread starter
it's funny but the ST forum hosts a mileage tracker like we do every year and people from the warm states are rarely at/near the top, especially Californians, it's always led by northern guys

Notice in this years chart the two from Cal are 14 th and 19th. Top 3 are NY, IA and IL. Ther are only 6 out of the top 20 from what I would consider warm states..Cal, Fla, Tx, La, Sc. Even a Canadian in the top 20.


# Name Miles MPD Bike Country ST

1 kendoo 38,400 111 2016 FJR US NY
2 Cocklebur 34,500 100 2017 Super Tenere US IA
3 dbst1300 33,450 97 21S10 21T7 Tracer GT US IL
4 jodog 32,000 92 2012 + 2007 ST 1300 US MO
5 Shawn K 28,002 81 GL1800 US SC
6 dduelin 26,572 77 GL1800 R1200RT NC700 US FL
7 PhotoDoctor 26,333 76 ST1100/ST1300/Norton US FL
8 Willsmotorcycle 24,900 72 2016 ST1300P US PA
9 Pop-Pop 23,365 68 1996 ST 1100 US MA
10 paulcb 20,921 60 '01 ST1100 ABSII US TX
11 Uncle Phil 19,335 56 4 ST1100(s) US TN
12 ST-venture 17,692 51 2018 GW Tour DCT US CO
13 tonythecarguy 17,475 51 2006 ST1300A US OH
14 spiderman302 15,721 45 2006 ST1300A US CA
15 ardykay54 15,627 45 2014 CTX Deluxe US IA
16 the Ferret 15,613 45 21 NC750 14 CB1100 US OH
17 bikerdrumr 14,397 42 '15 BMW 1200RT US NJ
18 willie13377 14,086 41 2004 Honda ST1300A US LA
19 fixitup2 13,550 39 ST-1300 / ST1100 /Ha US CA
20 STrep 13,444 39 2009 CBF1000 CAN ON
 
I just did a 40 mile trip between rains and through cold fog on my KLR650...at least I got to do a few miles of forest service roads...but, wow, the cold fingertips and toes need 30 mintures to dethaw
 
The ferret_imp said:
it's funny but the ST forum hosts a mileage tracker like we do every year and people from the warm states are rarely at/near the top, especially Californians, it's always led by northern guys

Notice in this years chart the two from Cal are 14 th and 19th. Top 3 are NY, IA and IL. Ther are only 6 out of the top 20 from what I would consider warm states..Cal, Fla, Tx, La, Sc. Even a Canadian in the top 20.


# Name Miles MPD Bike Country ST

1 kendoo 38,400 111 2016 FJR US NY
2 Cocklebur 34,500 100 2017 Super Tenere US IA
3 dbst1300 33,450 97 21S10 21T7 Tracer GT US IL
4 jodog 32,000 92 2012 + 2007 ST 1300 US MO
5 Shawn K 28,002 81 GL1800 US SC
6 dduelin 26,572 77 GL1800 R1200RT NC700 US FL
7 PhotoDoctor 26,333 76 ST1100/ST1300/Norton US FL
8 Willsmotorcycle 24,900 72 2016 ST1300P US PA
9 Pop-Pop 23,365 68 1996 ST 1100 US MA
10 paulcb 20,921 60 '01 ST1100 ABSII US TX
11 Uncle Phil 19,335 56 4 ST1100(s) US TN
12 ST-venture 17,692 51 2018 GW Tour DCT US CO
13 tonythecarguy 17,475 51 2006 ST1300A US OH
14 spiderman302 15,721 45 2006 ST1300A US CA
15 ardykay54 15,627 45 2014 CTX Deluxe US IA
16 the Ferret 15,613 45 21 NC750 14 CB1100 US OH
17 bikerdrumr 14,397 42 '15 BMW 1200RT US NJ
18 willie13377 14,086 41 2004 Honda ST1300A US LA
19 fixitup2 13,550 39 ST-1300 / ST1100 /Ha US CA
20 STrep 13,444 39 2009 CBF1000 CAN ON
Don't like that list at all, 'cos my friend's name, LP, is not there...and he has an ST :dodgy:
 
Thread starter
Well there's 98 on the list so maybe his name is there somewhere (used to be 200 or more in years past)

Mileage Tracker

you do have 1 friend in the top 20 lol ...also from a cold state
 
pdedse_imp said:
I just did a 40 mile trip between rains and through cold fog on my KLR650...at least I got to do a few miles of forest service roads...but, wow, the cold fingertips and toes need 30 mintures to dethaw
Hey pdedse - what's going on with those hands? :huh:


 
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
I just did a 40 mile trip between rains and through cold fog on my KLR650...at least I got to do a few miles of forest service roads...but, wow, the cold fingertips and toes need 30 mintures to dethaw
Hey pdedse - what's going on with those hands? :huh:


Thanks for the video...might have to give it a try. My daughter bought me some generic battery gloves for Christmas 2 years ago, but they barely warmed the gloves at home, and were useless for actual riding. I don't think they were really designed for mc riding either, so we returned them.

What I usually do is wear my rain gloves over normal cold weather gloves and they help quite a bit. But I had them tucked under my coat on a ride last winter and when I got off to stretch they fell out and I didn't realize it. I replaced them over the summer with a nice pair of Aerostitch rain gloves--and I completely forgot I had them...so it's time to break them out to see if they cut down on the cold like my other ones did.

But I might give these a try. I need something for December to February. Our coldest weather often goes hand-in-hand with our dry days here in my neck of the Oregon woods.
 
pdedse Wrote:I just did a 40 mile trip between rains and through cold fog on my KLR650...at least I got to do a few miles of forest service roads...but, wow, the cold fingertips and toes need 30 mintures to dethaw
I got the Oxford heated grips on my KLR650 and it made things a LOT better. I also switched to snowmobile boots in the winter and sometimes gloves, but it all depends on how crazy I wanted to look riding a motorcycle when there was snow on the ground.
 
the-inquisition_imp said:
pdedse Wrote:I just did a 40 mile trip between rains and through cold fog on my KLR650...at least I got to do a few miles of forest service roads...but, wow, the cold fingertips and toes need 30 mintures to dethaw
I got the Oxford heated grips on my KLR650 and it made things a LOT better. I also switched to snowmobile boots in the winter and sometimes gloves, but it all depends on how crazy I wanted to look riding a motorcycle when there was snow on the ground.
Spin on some aggressive-like shoes on a Honda Monkey or PCX150, or similar, and crazy gets tamed down to outright fun.
 
If we're discussing ways to keep riding in the winter...I cant stress enough the value of a pair of bark busters (hand guards to some). This is my first year riding with a pair on my versys, and let me tell you i don't feel the need for heated grips at all. A simple thing like blocking the wind from your hands completely changes your comfort level.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
If we're discussing ways to keep riding in the winter...I cant stress enough the value of a pair of bark busters (hand guards to some). This is my first year riding with a pair on my versys, and let me tell you i don't feel the need for heated grips at all. A simple thing like blocking the wind from your hands completely changes your comfort level.
Not to diminish what Mr. P. said, but beware the expectation of hand guards for wind protection. There are limitations, and it will vary depending on the rider's tolerance.

Example:

Hand guards are useless for "warmth protection" on freeways at 120 km/h with air ambient of -25C. This example includes the use of grip heaters set at or near maximum. So if there is no wind, the freeway windchill is about -48C (-55F).

Scale the example appropriately for highway and regional road speed rates.

It might be more effective to some riders to simply invest in modern heated gloves. They tend to focus on the top of the hand where the blood vessels are and the finger tips, and that is unlike grip heaters that waste energy on the palms. I reckon it is key to keep fresh warm blood flowing to the finger tips in order to have an enjoyable, longer ride ... and maybe focus on keeping your visor clear, eyeballs from freezing, and sumthin' like that.

A final note:

The CB1100 has no problem handling these conditions, just be prepared to maybe ride at least one lower gear than what you normally would. Also, avoid ice and snow patches. Expect to ride on roads with an excessive amount of salt, although most likely it will be powder dry during the day when the sun is out.

I know this isn't a typical southern Californian example, but it is closer to north eastern U.S. and south eastern Canada, and especially Winnipeg and Minnesota areas.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
If we're discussing ways to keep riding in the winter...I cant stress enough the value of a pair of bark busters (hand guards to some). This is my first year riding with a pair on my versys, and let me tell you i don't feel the need for heated grips at all. A simple thing like blocking the wind from your hands completely changes your comfort level.
Totally agree. The Barkbuster Blizzard range take so much wind-chill off your hands and keep your gloves out of direct rain. I fit them on my main bike every winter. They are not a full muff but allow you to wear a lighter glove, which I prefer, for a much longer season.
 
Back
Top