Time saved by commuting on motorcycle?

Rebel73_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'm currently spoiled as I only live about 5 miles from my job in Downtown L.A. I don't even get on the freeway. However, I'm planning to buy a home in the suburbs (home prices in the inner city are exorbitant) in the near future and was looking at all viable commute options.

Has anyone ever crunched the numbers to see how much time can actually be saved commuting on their CB vs cage? Obviously, here in So Cal we have legal lane-splitting, so that is a significant factor.
 
It's less about saving time and more about saving my sanity. I could certainly see it saving time with lane splitting though.


Sent from an undisclosed location
 
I commute from Fountain Valley to Glendale. Bike saves me from going insane for one and it makes a 2 hour commute in the cage with traffic only 1 hour on the bike. It does vary of course but yes! It's saves lots of time.

Sent from me......
 
It'd have to be a reasonably long commute if you're ATGATT. My last commute in San Diego -- 45 minutes to go 11 miles -- would have been worth the effort, but here in Denver, 35 minutes to go 28 miles, not so much. You can't lane split here, nor is it necessary.
 
Thread starter
MMC_imp said:
I commute from Fountain Valley to Glendale. Bike saves me from going insane for one and it makes a 2 hour commute in the cage with traffic only 1 hour on the bike. It does vary of course but yes! It's saves lots of time.

Sent from me......
So it cuts your commute in half! That's definitely an incentive!
 
Like I said, it varies but I couldn't handle this commute in a cage every day. It can take a toll on you too, riding LA freeways requires heightened awareness as it is, and cutting traffic in LA takes it to another level!

Sent from me......
 
Gearing up and back down after arriving does take some time, ATGATT. Seemed to spend a lot more time on the way home also, but my office was in the country around some great roads.
In the city not sure I saved much time as the commute was simple but it was definitely a stress reliever and sanity saver, not sure how to assign a numeric value to that but if I had to commute to work I dang sure wanted it to be as pleasant as possible.
 
It's a big difference for me. I don't really have a commute either as I also live near work, but when driving the same route in my car vs bike, the time savings is at least 30% on the bike. We can't lanesplit here, but it's safe and easy to filter, and to take advantage of driving in wide lanes that contain parked cars. I find this is where the time savings comes in, as you can basically skip through all the choke points and essentially jump ahead a bunch of cars at every red light. It's also probably 100x more enjoyable than driving.
 
Thread starter
MMC_imp said:
Like I said, it varies but I couldn't handle this commute in a cage every day. It can take a toll on you too, riding LA freeways requires heightened awareness as it is, and cutting traffic in LA takes it to another level!

Sent from me......
Agreed. I imagine it takes hyper focus and lane-splitting intelligently, not like those nut jobs doing 60mph while traffic is crawling along at 5mph
 
For me I was commuting a round trip of about 115 miles a day. It all depended on what time I got out of work as to how much time it would have saved me. Not only could I split, but I could also use the commute lane and that was a time saver as well.

It could be anywhere from a 15 minute to a 45 minute time saver depending on traffic. For me it was more about saving money as my truck was getting about 18 mpg on the highway if I kept up with traffic (about 75 MPH when it was moving) where the bike would get closer to 50 mpg.
 
It would save some time but I don't really bother lane splitting too much. First off its not legal here and way too dangerous. I can do it but eventually my luck would run out. If I was going to commute on a bike I would not do it on my CB. I would buy a real cheap beater because of all the crappy roads and terrible drivers. I have to go about 35 miles to NYC and have to pass by some real shady neighborhoods so I feel more comfortable being surrounded by steel

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
 
The few times my gf has let me take her car to work, it's been insane how long it takes to traverse those 2mi in Chicago rush hour traffic: 25 min. Taking my motorcycle, about 15 min. Taking my bicycle...about 10 min. Safe to say the bicycle is as efficient as it gets for my situation.
 
I commuted on the LA Freeways for 40 years by motorcycle. I'm sure I added month of time to my personal life by riding my motorcycle vs a car.

My commute for the last 29 years was from Huntington Beach to Torrance via the 405. It was 27 miles each way. On a good day it was 40 minutes door-to-door. On a heavy day 1 hour. By car you could easily double or triple that time.

If you decide to become a full time Combat Commuter, I would suggest you consider investing in an Aerostich suit. I bought my Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece in 1991, and I'm still using it. A good investment.

PS; I'm retired now, so no more commute for me! :banana:
 
Thread starter
TINK_imp said:
I commuted on the LA Freeways for 40 years by motorcycle. I'm sure I added month of time to my personal life by riding my motorcycle vs a car.

My commute for the last 29 years was from Huntington Beach to Torrance via the 405. It was 27 miles each way. On a good day it was 40 minutes door-to-door. On a heavy day 1 hour. By car you could easily double or triple that time.

If you decide to become a full time Combat Commuter, I would suggest you consider investing in an Aerostich suit. I bought my Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece in 1991, and I'm still using it. A good investment.

PS; I'm retired now, so no more commute for me! :banana:
Tink,

Thanks for your input.
why the Aerostich suit? Durability?
 
Rebel73_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
I commuted on the LA Freeways for 40 years by motorcycle. I'm sure I added month of time to my personal life by riding my motorcycle vs a car.

My commute for the last 29 years was from Huntington Beach to Torrance via the 405. It was 27 miles each way. On a good day it was 40 minutes door-to-door. On a heavy day 1 hour. By car you could easily double or triple that time.

If you decide to become a full time Combat Commuter, I would suggest you consider investing in an Aerostich suit. I bought my Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece in 1991, and I'm still using it. A good investment.

PS; I'm retired now, so no more commute for me! :banana:
Tink,

Thanks for your input.
why the Aerostich suit? Durability?
They're durable with good armour, but their party piece is way they zip up. It means you can basically put it on and off in 15-30 seconds without disturbing any of the clothes you're wearing under it (e.g. if your commuting to a business casual office). They're quite expensive, but you will probably never wear it out.
 
kmoney_imp said:
Rebel73_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
I commuted on the LA Freeways for 40 years by motorcycle. I'm sure I added month of time to my personal life by riding my motorcycle vs a car.

My commute for the last 29 years was from Huntington Beach to Torrance via the 405. It was 27 miles each way. On a good day it was 40 minutes door-to-door. On a heavy day 1 hour. By car you could easily double or triple that time.

If you decide to become a full time Combat Commuter, I would suggest you consider investing in an Aerostich suit. I bought my Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece in 1991, and I'm still using it. A good investment.

PS; I'm retired now, so no more commute for me! :banana:
Tink,

Thanks for your input.
why the Aerostich suit? Durability?
They're durable with good armour, but their party piece is way they zip up. It means you can basically put it on and off in 15-30 seconds without disturbing any of the clothes you're wearing under it (e.g. if your commuting to a business casual office). They're quite expensive, but you will probably never wear it out.
They're durable with good armour, but their party piece is way they zip up. It means you can basically put it on and off in 15-30 seconds without disturbing any of the clothes you're wearing under it (e.g. if your commuting to a business casual office). They're quite expensive, but you will probably never wear it out.
What he said. :thumbsup:
And yes, I used to wear a business suit shirt and tie to work under my Aerostich. :cool:
My Roadcrafter is 25 years old, and only been in for minor wear and tear repairs (not crash related) over the years.
They will likely bury me in my Aerostich. :angel:


PS
Even did a track day in my Aerostich
 
TINK_imp said:
kmoney_imp said:
Rebel73_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
I commuted on the LA Freeways for 40 years by motorcycle. I'm sure I added month of time to my personal life by riding my motorcycle vs a car.

My commute for the last 29 years was from Huntington Beach to Torrance via the 405. It was 27 miles each way. On a good day it was 40 minutes door-to-door. On a heavy day 1 hour. By car you could easily double or triple that time.

If you decide to become a full time Combat Commuter, I would suggest you consider investing in an Aerostich suit. I bought my Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece in 1991, and I'm still using it. A good investment.

PS; I'm retired now, so no more commute for me! :banana:
Tink,

Thanks for your input.
why the Aerostich suit? Durability?
They're durable with good armour, but their party piece is way they zip up. It means you can basically put it on and off in 15-30 seconds without disturbing any of the clothes you're wearing under it (e.g. if your commuting to a business casual office). They're quite expensive, but you will probably never wear it out.
They're durable with good armour, but their party piece is way they zip up. It means you can basically put it on and off in 15-30 seconds without disturbing any of the clothes you're wearing under it (e.g. if your commuting to a business casual office). They're quite expensive, but you will probably never wear it out.
What he said. :thumbsup:
And yes, I used to wear a business suit shirt and tie to work under my Aerostich. :cool:
My Roadcrafter is 25 years old, and only been in for minor wear and tear repairs (not crash related) over the years.
They will likely bury me in my Aerostich. :angel:


PS
Even did a track day in my Aerostich
Haha. I've done this a couple times too, you can't help but feel a little James Bond when you arrive at your destination and take roadcrafter off.
 
I've been using my CB for work this past week and have saved a ton of time traveling, but taking off the jacket and putting everything away at each stop adds some time of course.

I'm also in the LA area. Well, Buena Park. Still haven't seen another CB on the road here.
 
Yeah...commuting on a mc rarely saves me time because inevitably I'll go exploring on my way home taking the long way..."yeah, honey, should've seen the traffic today!" : )
 
Back
Top