tightening a helmet

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
Not even sure if this is possible, just a theory, but has anybody had experience with making a helmet fit much tighter by upgrading/thickening the padding? I have a helmet that I like, but it's probably a little loose. the looseness didn't bother me until I attached my helmet cam and saw that the video is very shaky at higher speeds, due to the wind jostling the helmet constantly. the helmet is snug enough to be safe, but I'd like to keep my video nice and stable so that i can read license plates when somebody inevitably tries to kill me.

so, is snugging up a helmet by increasing the pad thickness a thing I can do or is that not possible? Has anybody ever done this?
 
What helmet? Shoei has different size cheek pads. They just snap in/out.
 
Thread starter
It's a Bell, I think a Qualifier by the inner tags. I've been looking at the available pads, they seem to have cheek pads that read as 45mm, but according to the bell website, mine has 40mm already. i'm not sure that's enough to make a difference. maybe aftermarket pads?
 
I don’t know. Hopefully someone else will know and post up.
 
Thread starter
i think it would take an awful lot of doughnuts to make my *head* fatter. besides, i don't think i could cope with the loss in acceleration :-p
 
We can give you lots and lots of compliments and tell you how wonderful you are. That'll make your head swell.

Seriously, aside from thicker pads, I'm not sure what options you have.
 
Thread starter
That's what I'm thinking as well. the Bell qualifier helmet, when sold in XS (the size i probably would have bought had I bought this helmet myself), comes with a 50mm thick pad. they don't seem to sell this separately on their website, so i'm asking the good people at Bell by email. for the pads on the top, i might stuff the helmet some between the pad and the shell to make it more snug up top. if that doesn't minimize movement, i don't know what will.
 
I have had similar issues with Schuberth helmets. You may find that the liners from one size smaller will help. And 5mm on each side will definitely snug things up. A thin skull cap beanie can help. Or, do what I did on a ride recently. Stick an oily rag from your tail bag on your head. Worked great!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Good call Capo. I'm going to get a chance to try on the 45mm pads soon, and if they don't feel tight enough, I will continue to look for 50mm pads.

Alprider: the cam mount is rock solid. the problem is that the helmet moves around when battered by the wind. the helmet movement doesn't bother me personally, but it makes the camera footage unwatchable when travelling faster than 70mph.
 
Mister P. Us motorcyclists need all the help we can get if ever the time comes to use a helmet for its primary purpose ... suggest you go shopping for a helmet that fits you perfectly.
 
Thread starter
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Mister P. Us motorcyclists need all the help we can get if ever the time comes to use a helmet for its primary purpose ... suggest you go shopping for a helmet that fits you perfectly.
guys, chill, i do have a helmet that fits. i have more than one helmet. This is just the one that can mount a camera. I didn't pick it out. It's plenty fitted, just wobbles a bit in high wind, which is bad for the camera. I think you're overestimating how "loose" the helmet really is. I'm actually looking to get thicker pads, not so that the helmet fits, but so that it's extra tight.
 
How about mounting it to the bike? That way you can swap around helmets, no bother.
I've never mounted a camera to my helmet but would imagine once the speed gets up, it'll mess with the flow of air over your bonce and possibly add to, or cause, all the shaking? Could it?

Also, if you landed on it, could it mess with the helmets strength and end up in your head?
I'm Poss. slightly paranoid...

Failing that, get a GoPro 7+ with the built in image stabiliser, or is the shaking too extreme for that?
 
Thread starter
hahah, for the cost of a gopro i could get a brand new extremely expensive helmet...those things are WAY overpriced. I can do image stabilization in Post processing very easily, but image stabilization doesn't solve it. while it stabilizes the image, it also causes it to look very strange and unrealistic.

mounting it on the bike is just....i dunno. i don't like it. the viewpoint is very static that way, and it'd be hard to get license plate numbers unless i can roll up directly behind the offender. I like that the camera sees everything I see on my chin. It may be catching some wind in that position, but it's catching a whole lot less wind than if it were mounted on top of my head or on the side. chin is definitely the best spot. I do finally have a set of pads on the way, and if they don't work i'll probably just return them.
 
Back
Top