Throttle Rolling

Tom_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So I'm studying and keep reading about throttle rolling without any definition. I assume the rolling on the throttle is accelerating and rolling off the throttle is decelerating but I must be wrong or they would call it accelerating/decelerating. What am I missing here?

I can't believe it will be weeks and weeks before I can even get an appointment for a written test. I want to ride after all these years and am short on patience now that the bike is in the garage.
 
where are you reading this I have never heard the expression throttle rolling, but would assume it means rolling on and off the throttle rather than jerking it open and snapping it shut.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
where are you reading this I have never heard the expression throttle rolling, but would assume it means rolling on and off the throttle rather than jerking it open and snapping it shut.
reading it on practice tests and in the NJ motorcycle drivers manual.
 
Tom_imp said:
So I'm studying and keep reading about throttle rolling without any definition. I assume the rolling on the throttle is accelerating and rolling off the throttle is decelerating but I must be wrong or they would call it accelerating/decelerating. What am I missing here?

I can't believe it will be weeks and weeks before I can even get an appointment for a written test. I want to ride after all these years and am short on patience now that the bike is in the garage.
If you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course and pass, in some states you are exempt from the written or skills tests.

I found this info in the NJ Motorcycle Manual:





Also: [url=https://www.youtube.com/c/MCrider/videos]MCRider is a good YouTube channel to learn about road strategy and many other safe motorcycling tactics.
 
I would think it would apply to the practice of smooth use of the throttle, as in not being too abrupt with coming on and off the throttle.

As opposed to coal rolling, which is a whole other thing.
 
I think that it's just a figure of speech.... As in "As I rolled on the throttle that bike took off like a bat out of he**!"
 
tommymck_imp said:
I think that it's just a figure of speech.... As in "As I rolled on the throttle that bike took off like a bat out of he**!"
Said no CB owner ever :rofl:
Yeah, roll on the throttle just means giving it some gas. It doesn't imply anything about how aggressive you are.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
I think that it's just a figure of speech.... As in "As I rolled on the throttle that bike took off like a bat out of he**!"
Said no CB owner ever :rofl:
Yeah, roll on the throttle just means giving it some gas. It doesn't imply anything about how aggressive you are.
Said no CB owner ever :rofl:
Yeah, roll on the throttle just means giving it some gas. It doesn't imply anything about how aggressive you are.
I would have to disagree. Rolling the throttle on or off is a figure of speech for the modulated application/removal of throttle. Moto tires can take a lot of stress and still keep traction, as long as the changes are gradual, not sudden. A sudden change is what makes newbs go down.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
I think that it's just a figure of speech.... As in "As I rolled on the throttle that bike took off like a bat out of he**!"
Said no CB owner ever :rofl:
Yeah, roll on the throttle just means giving it some gas. It doesn't imply anything about how aggressive you are.
Said no CB owner ever :rofl:
Yeah, roll on the throttle just means giving it some gas. It doesn't imply anything about how aggressive you are.
I would have to disagree. Rolling the throttle on or off is a figure of speech for the modulated application/removal of throttle. Moto tires can take a lot of stress and still keep traction, as long as the changes are gradual, not sudden. A sudden change is what makes newbs go down.
(+1) I favour that assessment CB.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
I think that it's just a figure of speech.... As in "As I rolled on the throttle that bike took off like a bat out of he**!"
Said no CB owner ever :rofl:
Yeah, roll on the throttle just means giving it some gas. It doesn't imply anything about how aggressive you are.
Said no CB owner ever :rofl:
Yeah, roll on the throttle just means giving it some gas. It doesn't imply anything about how aggressive you are.
I would have to disagree. Rolling the throttle on or off is a figure of speech for the modulated application/removal of throttle. Moto tires can take a lot of stress and still keep traction, as long as the changes are gradual, not sudden. A sudden change is what makes newbs go down.
(+1) I favour that assessment CB.
(+1) I favour that assessment CB.
Thanks, GO. It's important to keep the nomenclature correct.
 
Back
Top