Throttle Cable Replacement

olekzap_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Has anyone replaced the dual throttle cables themselves? I noticed this morning the one cover is split entirely and the other feels like it's on the way out too. No issues with the the throttle operation as of yet and the cable itself isn't fraying or anything so I'm not super concerned other than not riding in the rain like this but am thinking of the best way to fix. I assume replacing the cables requires removing the tank, correct? I could take it to the dealership but who knows how much that would cost. Might have to purchase the cable from them even if I try and do it myself because I couldn't find a way to buy them online.

Thoughts?

Picture below:
 
olekzap_imp said:
Has anyone replaced the dual throttle cables themselves? I noticed this morning the one cover is split entirely and the other feels like it's on the way out too. No issues with the the throttle operation as of yet and the cable itself isn't fraying or anything so I'm not super concerned other than not riding in the rain like this but am thinking of the best way to fix. I assume replacing the cables requires removing the tank, correct? I could take it to the dealership but who knows how much that would cost. Might have to purchase the cable from them even if I try and do it myself because I couldn't find a way to buy them online.

Thoughts?

Picture below:
Here is a link to purchase the cables. I'm assuming that you have a 2014 due to your black fuel tank.
https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28bebf870021404ec5a34/switch-cable
3446d5f452703ae06480c5e9944113a2.jpeg
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
olekzap_imp said:
Has anyone replaced the dual throttle cables themselves? I noticed this morning the one cover is split entirely and the other feels like it's on the way out too. No issues with the the throttle operation as of yet and the cable itself isn't fraying or anything so I'm not super concerned other than not riding in the rain like this but am thinking of the best way to fix. I assume replacing the cables requires removing the tank, correct? I could take it to the dealership but who knows how much that would cost. Might have to purchase the cable from them even if I try and do it myself because I couldn't find a way to buy them online.

Thoughts?

Picture below:
Here is a link to purchase the cables. I'm assuming that you have a 2014 due to your black fuel tank.
https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28bebf870021404ec5a34/switch-cable
3446d5f452703ae06480c5e9944113a2.jpeg
Here is a link to purchase the cables. I'm assuming that you have a 2014 due to your black fuel tank.
https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28bebf870021404ec5a34/switch-cable
afba328f6ee03dbbf7b77953bedd0fd4.jpeg

Correct, 2014. Thanks for the link, I wasn't seeing that when searching before. Prices aren't too bad. If I can confirm the replacement isn't too terrible it might be an easy project to do at home.
 
seeing this made me go out and examine the throttle cables on my 2014

They look good to me

2382cca72b57af0e1156a94065a41f56.jpg
 
Judging by the pics, your cable failed from being stretched. Do you have aftermarket bars or risers. If replaced, this failure may happen again unless they are re-routed.

You can't lift the tank enough to loosen the throttle cables. The high-pressure fuel line or fittings could be damaged by pulling up.

A cheap and dirty fix would be to remove the cables at the throttle, re-routing them, sliding heat shrink tubing over it (I'd put 2 layers), lubing the cables from the top, and re-assembling. It's not a simple task, requires un-clamping the bars to slide the throttle pipe off, but could save a dealer visit.
 
PD’s analysis was my thought too. If risers or aftermarket bars, either a re-route or longer cables is in your future.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Is olekzap missing a front brake or clutch line? Or is it routed differently among 2014 CB1100s?
GO, I think you're seeing the ABS line on Ferret's bike. I wondered about that too.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Judging by the pics, your cable failed from being stretched. Do you have aftermarket bars or risers. If replaced, this failure may happen again unless they are re-routed.

You can't lift the tank enough to loosen the throttle cables. The high-pressure fuel line or fittings could be damaged by pulling up.

A cheap and dirty fix would be to remove the cables at the throttle, re-routing them, sliding heat shrink tubing over it (I'd put 2 layers), lubing the cables from the top, and re-assembling. It's not a simple task, requires un-clamping the bars to slide the throttle pipe off, but could save a dealer visit.
Stock bars and risers. It definitely isn't being stretched, it almost seems like the pressure on them from turning the bars to the far right is what did it as that puts a lot of strain on them. I think it's due to the bike living outside for most of the time I have had it and being parked in the sun a lot without a cover. The rubber coating feels very brittle. Luckily I have a house with a garage now. I folded over some duct tape to keep any stickiness from getting into the cracks and wrapped that around the cracked parts of the cables and then covered all of that in electrical tape for now. It will keep rain and dust out until I figure out the permanent fix. The cables themselves are ok and don't show any signs of fraying so I'll keep riding for now.
 
Comparing the pics of the two bikes, your cables are under tension, while Ferret's has a smooth bend and some slack. Stock cables on a stock bike are designed to have slack when turned full to either side. Is it possible the original owner had another accessory on it that caused the cables to be misrouted?


I also noticed in your first posts on the forum, you were having an issue with erratic idle, which a too-tight throttle cable can cause.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Comparing the pics of the two bikes, your cables are under tension, while Ferret's has a smooth bend and some slack. Stock cables on a stock bike are designed to have slack when turned full to either side. Is it possible the original owner had another accessory on it that caused the cables to be misrouted?


I also noticed in your first posts on the forum, you were having an issue with erratic idle, which a too-tight throttle cable can cause.
There doesn't seem to be excess tension in the cables but I guess the previous owner could have changed something. Throttle freeplay is within spec. It's hard to tell exactly from the pictures but it does appear that his have a little more slack. Previous owner could have changed them and used the wrong length and maybe inferior quality cables in general since the rubber outer coating is very brittle.
 
olekzap_imp said:
Has anyone replaced the dual throttle cables themselves? I noticed this morning the one cover is split entirely and the other feels like it's on the way out too. No issues with the the throttle operation as of yet and the cable itself isn't fraying or anything so I'm not super concerned other than not riding in the rain like this but am thinking of the best way to fix. I assume replacing the cables requires removing the tank, correct? I could take it to the dealership but who knows how much that would cost. Might have to purchase the cable from them even if I try and do it myself because I couldn't find a way to buy them online.

Thoughts?

Picture below:
I have been researching this for a while, without much luck until recently. I spent the 65 bucks on the factory manual and even then, it's hard to find as it's not in the relatively cheesy index. Anyway, it's covered under the "fuel system" chapter(pgs. 5-88 to 5-93). First, you take off the gas tank, which actually isn't hard. Then you remove the front and rear air cleaner housings, which gives you access to the throttle cables which are located in the center of the throttle body. I found the cables on motosports.com for $26.92 each.
 
Welcome to the forum, jfcoffin.
 
Back
Top