This Jacket Doesn't Exist...

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
In a thread a while back, I mentioned a local gear shop that I found while ducking in out of a rain storm on a long walk. DMG Motorsports

Along with a great selection of new gear and very nice people, they have a back room with racks of final clearance stuff, which as you can imagine, would be right up my alley.

Poking through some of the jackets in the back room, I ran across a few interesting items, which gave me some insight into the moto riding gear market.

I posted a thread about the Tourmaster Navigator jacket, which is a great clearance bargain on most online gear sites. I love mine, and it's become my go-to jacket for comfort and utility. It comes in a neat tweedy-looking grey which I got, but I didn't dig the other available colors, black or Smurf blue.

One of the clearance jackets on the rack is clearly the same model, but in an olive color. Grabbing it, fit the same, but the labeling inside was slightly different, and the tags didn't say "Tourmaster". The brand was not a retail name, and there were notes on the tag with what looked like a grade for the jacket.

Asking the shop owner about it, he gave a puzzled look for a moment, then said "Ah... this jacket never existed." He explained that it was probably a sample that Tourmaster had made before the model was launched, and that they typically make the same jacket in different colors and material textures and show them to the major dealers for evaluation. The dealers give their input on what colors they think will sell the most easily. So this olive example would have been a rejected color, but otherwise identical. Tourmaster off-loads excess inventory to these guys, so this one was in the mix.

I love the color, so I grabbed it. There was also a bright red version of another Tourmaster model called "Tarmac", that I can only find offered in black, so that's another non-existent reject that I snapped up. Now I have a red jacket to match my CB1100.

Kinda interesting.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Yeah, but blood turns dark brown when it dries.
:huh: Does it? Dang.
:huh: Does it? Dang.
Yeah, I’d know, I injure myself a lot. I work around sharp, heavy, jagged things and often at ladder-height.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone, you have many brown-stained jackets?

(please say they don't exist)
No, but a good number of stained hats and shirts.
 
Thread starter
Here's the red one. I dunno, grabbed me with sort of a Michael Jackson Thriller vibe.

No Tourmaster labeling inside, but has a sewn-on patch with a Tourmaster logo on the back and lower front. The tag had a note that said "3.4 Good Jacket", which may have meant good, but not good enough for production?
 
Thread starter
Gave it a test ride in this morning. Traffic noticed it, and gave me my customary wide berth as necessary as I split traffic.

Also, stay tuned... I'm picking up these new jackets to replace others that I am currently shrinking out of. I'll clean 'em up and put them in the for-sale section.
Bargains galore I tells ya!

And happy to report that I am now within five pounds of what it says on my driver's license. Haven't been that close in years.
 
Back
Top