Thinking of a new gadget...

Thread starter
According to the Owner's Manual, idiot light comes up once oil temperature is above a preset level. No Celsius or Fahrenheit degrees mentioned, just that it might come on in you're stopped too long (no air moving around). Advice is to turn off the engine and let it cool a bit.
 
Csory_imp said:
According to the Owner's Manual, idiot light comes up once oil temperature is above a preset level. No Celsius or Fahrenheit degrees mentioned, just that it might come on in you're stopped too long (no air moving around). Advice is to turn off the engine and let it cool a bit.
lol - I think in all my life I have never seen an oil indicator light up during routine machine operation. I had a Pontiac Sunbird which its dash oil indicator routinely lit, especially in the summer. I had an '84 Nighthawk 750SC that should have had its oil indicator light up when the hydraulic clutch over-heated, but it did not (stuck idle toooooo long in hot, humid summer city traffic).
 
Thread starter
Ok, one more thing I learned today: ambient temperature sensor is very sensitive to sunlight. Will move the sensor into the wiring harness (i.e. hide within it, to end up somewhere under the headlight). Also, oil temp sensor will need a better mounting method - been fiddling with it but still not happy with the responsiveness. And be prepared for a v2 mockup that goes directly over the small Honda-logo, as per Baz's request :) It's still in its infancy, but I'm already a fan of it :D
 
Csory_imp said:
Ok, one more thing I learned today: ambient temperature sensor is very sensitive to sunlight. Will move the sensor into the wiring harness (i.e. hide within it, to end up somewhere under the headlight). Also, oil temp sensor will need a better mounting method - been fiddling with it but still not happy with the responsiveness. And be prepared for a v2 mockup that goes directly over the small Honda-logo, as per Baz's request :) It's still in its infancy, but I'm already a fan of it :D
Great Csory! Never was a fan of headstock logos. Do you need to be reminded what you are riding? Also, they tend to weather, fade and dry up.
 
Thread starter
Well, I would not punch a hole through the dash (or even attempt to remove the logo). It's going to be a super-slim "glue on top" thingy. My mantra is nothing to be changed permanently (on the bike)...
 
I have one of those dash logos. You can order them. Can't remember if its glue in or self stick. I'll have to check. Heck, I even have some of the little logos that are on the keys.
 
Thread starter
A feature-related question: would adding (a) a re-settable and (b) a total engine hours / startup counter be useful? Most maintenance instructions refer to mileage, while hours (as used in stationary engines) might come in handy. Or would I just let in the feature creep monster to this project?!
 
Csory_imp said:
A feature-related question: would adding (a) a re-settable and (b) a total engine hours / startup counter be useful? Most maintenance instructions refer to mileage, while hours (as used in stationary engines) might come in handy. Or would I just let in the feature creep monster to this project?!
Interesting Csory. For those who double the CB for driving farm equipment, that would indeed be of value. :)

I like the idea and maybe an initial a Forum "Poll" could be used to get a feel for this [CB] market. However, a wider bike market (not just the CB1100 Forum) would give you a better feel for demand.

Nevertheless, put that as a Jira story (or similar) for a future teaser feature if the overall market says "maybe later". The good thing is you are not in production, so slipping it in would be likely low pain in that regard.
 
Hi:

(Let's see if attaching a picture works)

I think this would be a less intrusive location for the gadget. Also, a new modified "facsia" -same concept as the silver mask included on the 17 models- could be made to integrate the gadget in a clean manner (draft profile shown in red).
Also, a secondary display could be added on the left side, with additional functions.

Just an idea...
 
Thread starter
jtopiso: thanks for the tip. I'm working on a heavily modified "Mark II" version now, will post pictures soon. The new display would be placed over the small Honda logo, and built as flat as possible (5.2mm total), with a tiny secondary electronics box on the underside of the instrument panel (out of sight, out of mind :) ) Basically, it will be a tiny flat "stick on" display right over the logo...
Something along these lines... Have the housing and display finalized, now trying to squeeze in the code. Might have to switch over to a larger controller though.



 
Csory_imp said:
jtopiso: thanks for the tip. I'm working on a heavily modified "Mark II" version now, will post pictures soon. The new display would be placed over the small Honda logo, and built as flat as possible (5.2mm total), with a tiny secondary electronics box on the underside of the instrument panel (out of sight, out of mind :) ) Basically, it will be a tiny flat "stick on" display right over the logo...
Something along these lines... Have the housing and display finalized, now trying to squeeze in the code. Might have to switch over to a larger controller though.
Looking forward to seeing that version.
 
Csory_imp said:
jtopiso: thanks for the tip. I'm working on a heavily modified "Mark II" version now, will post pictures soon. The new display would be placed over the small Honda logo, and built as flat as possible (5.2mm total), with a tiny secondary electronics box on the underside of the instrument panel (out of sight, out of mind :) ) Basically, it will be a tiny flat "stick on" display right over the logo...
Something along these lines... Have the housing and display finalized, now trying to squeeze in the code. Might have to switch over to a larger controller though.
Now that DOES look good - unobtrusive, clear display, right where you can see it, looks like an original fitment. Superb. :D
 
Thread starter
This version will have a graphical display. Just to see if the extra screen real estate (or rather resolution) worth it :) Another option is to go with an ultra-slim smd led chip, but that would be a 4-digit 7-segment one, pretty much the same as it was until now, plus one more digit. More pics soon...
 
jtopiso_imp said:
Csory_imp said:
jtopiso: thanks for the tip. I'm working on a heavily modified "Mark II" version now, will post pictures soon. The new display would be placed over the small Honda logo, and built as flat as possible (5.2mm total), with a tiny secondary electronics box on the underside of the instrument panel (out of sight, out of mind :) ) Basically, it will be a tiny flat "stick on" display right over the logo...
Something along these lines... Have the housing and display finalized, now trying to squeeze in the code. Might have to switch over to a larger controller though.
Looking forward to seeing that version.
Now I see it. It looks great!
 
Csory: If you are considering a universal core module, you may wish to consider adapting some sort of widely available vehicle wiring harness. This would allow your core to bring the I/O to a header and not fuss with cables.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide: Was thinking about it for a while. Adding a water/dustproof connector would be rather hard (at least for me). Having it manufactured professionally (I mean the harness) would be prohibitively expensive (unless there will be orders on the magnitude of hundreds - but at that point this would turn into a totally different story :D ). As of now, I envision a harness custom tailored for each specific order, with blank ending and plenty of slack to allow for adjustment.

Current status: waiting for PCB's to be manufactured for the new superflat display module...
 
Back
Top