Thinking about a wider rear tire

Pterodactyl_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
ingobohn_imp said:
Today, it was my first ride with the Pirelli Sport Demon on wet roads ("normal" rain). To make a long story short: no, the Pirellis do not have as much grip on wet roads as my former Dunlops D205. In one 90° turn with approx. 40 km/h speed, the front tire started skidding a bit - it was not dramatic as skidding started slowly not abruptly so I was able to intercept.

Wet grip together with the - for me - too agile handling in curves seems that the Dunlop would be the better choice for me and my CB compared to the Pirellis. :(
this is the reason I always go with manufacturer's recommendation. I don't want to change something then find out I don't like it and have to live with it.
For sure that's safe and I appreciate your point of view. In my case when it came time for me to change my D205s they were a "special order" and expensive. BT54s were no longer available so I went with BT45s, bias ply and not manufacturer's recommendation. I would say that, overall, they were a better tyre than the D205s. Handling good and better wear. When they needed replacement (I got about 15000+kms) I wanted to go back to radials. At this stage I became interested in CIP's views on the Michelin RP3s. OK, so I took the jump and 900kms later I have not regretted it at all. However, after reading ingobohn's report regarding the Pirelli Sport Demons I would do a lot more research before considering buying Pirellis. Front tyre breakaway in the wet is not good. I am surprised because review (revzilla et al) gives them 4.5/5 for wet traction. I would assume that he had a matching Pirellis front and rear. The best aspect of the Michelins, according to expert review, is wet weather performance. In other areas they are not the "best" but adequate for me. I really like the easy turn in - smooth as silk and then, leaned over, as sticky as a mouthful of peanut butter. The different profile when going over glass road eyes and small ridges is noticeable and initially disconcerting, but after some 900kms I have complete confidence in the Michelins. They just feel different.

In short I couldn't be happier that I have gone away from the manufacturer's recommendation. Over the next two weeks the CB's new shoes will get a good workout over a lot of good roads in the northern NSW coast and hinterland region. Probably around 3000kms or a maybe a little less. Bring it on!

Cheers
For sure that's safe and I appreciate your point of view. In my case when it came time for me to change my D205s they were a "special order" and expensive. BT54s were no longer available so I went with BT45s, bias ply and not manufacturer's recommendation. I would say that, overall, they were a better tyre than the D205s. Handling good and better wear. When they needed replacement (I got about 15000+kms) I wanted to go back to radials. At this stage I became interested in CIP's views on the Michelin RP3s. OK, so I took the jump and 900kms later I have not regretted it at all. However, after reading ingobohn's report regarding the Pirelli Sport Demons I would do a lot more research before considering buying Pirellis. Front tyre breakaway in the wet is not good. I am surprised because review (revzilla et al) gives them 4.5/5 for wet traction. I would assume that he had a matching Pirellis front and rear. The best aspect of the Michelins, according to expert review, is wet weather performance. In other areas they are not the "best" but adequate for me. I really like the easy turn in - smooth as silk and then, leaned over, as sticky as a mouthful of peanut butter. The different profile when going over glass road eyes and small ridges is noticeable and initially disconcerting, but after some 900kms I have complete confidence in the Michelins. They just feel different.

In short I couldn't be happier that I have gone away from the manufacturer's recommendation. Over the next two weeks the CB's new shoes will get a good workout over a lot of good roads in the northern NSW coast and hinterland region. Probably around 3000kms or a maybe a little less. Bring it on!

Cheers
There is a higher level of confidence with the PR3's, no more worries about sliding out from inferior road surfaces and tar snakes.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
ingobohn_imp said:
Today, it was my first ride with the Pirelli Sport Demon on wet roads ("normal" rain). To make a long story short: no, the Pirellis do not have as much grip on wet roads as my former Dunlops D205. In one 90° turn with approx. 40 km/h speed, the front tire started skidding a bit - it was not dramatic as skidding started slowly not abruptly so I was able to intercept.

Wet grip together with the - for me - too agile handling in curves seems that the Dunlop would be the better choice for me and my CB compared to the Pirellis. :(
this is the reason I always go with manufacturer's recommendation. I don't want to change something then find out I don't like it and have to live with it.
For sure that's safe and I appreciate your point of view. In my case when it came time for me to change my D205s they were a "special order" and expensive. BT54s were no longer available so I went with BT45s, bias ply and not manufacturer's recommendation. I would say that, overall, they were a better tyre than the D205s. Handling good and better wear. When they needed replacement (I got about 15000+kms) I wanted to go back to radials. At this stage I became interested in CIP's views on the Michelin RP3s. OK, so I took the jump and 900kms later I have not regretted it at all. However, after reading ingobohn's report regarding the Pirelli Sport Demons I would do a lot more research before considering buying Pirellis. Front tyre breakaway in the wet is not good. I am surprised because review (revzilla et al) gives them 4.5/5 for wet traction. I would assume that he had a matching Pirellis front and rear. The best aspect of the Michelins, according to expert review, is wet weather performance. In other areas they are not the "best" but adequate for me. I really like the easy turn in - smooth as silk and then, leaned over, as sticky as a mouthful of peanut butter. The different profile when going over glass road eyes and small ridges is noticeable and initially disconcerting, but after some 900kms I have complete confidence in the Michelins. They just feel different.

In short I couldn't be happier that I have gone away from the manufacturer's recommendation. Over the next two weeks the CB's new shoes will get a good workout over a lot of good roads in the northern NSW coast and hinterland region. Probably around 3000kms or a maybe a little less. Bring it on!

Cheers
:D:thumbsup:

Unfortunately, there are some more restrictions in Germany with motor bike tires compared to the U.S. And therefore there is no Michelin released for the CB1100. Otherwise I would immediately go for the Michelins.
(Only D205, BT54, Sport Demon and T30 and B023 are released for our CB here in Germany.)
 
Jim21680_imp said:
This probably isn't true, but I would hope any good service shop would refuse to mount a 180 tire on a 4" rim. I wouldn't even risk a 160. Now, if going to a 150 gave me better or more diverse tire options, that's definitely something I would consider (sadly, it doesn't :( ). But I would be really weary about going over a +10 on the tire width. Good luck to you Sil, keep us posted about what you decide, and how it works out.
Sometimes it's true. I had a BMW tourer and was looking for white wall tires. (Don't say it!) My dealer was both BMW and H-D. Service/parts manager looked it up in the thick tire bible. There was a WW recommended for the rear, but none for the front. Since Harley baggers have WWs available front and rear, I asked him to put one rated for a Harley on my BMW since they both were touring baggers and both bikes were a similar weight and had similar load ratings. He said he would not go against a manufacturers recommendation and refused.

I give that guy credit for that. When I told that story on another forum, you'd be surprised how many people said I should have just bought the tires and found a shop to install them. They completely missed the point why the manager refused the sale- SAFETY.
 
More likely it was- LIABILITY
 
To be fair, it would be a combination of both SAFETY and LIABILITY, wouldn't it?
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
To be fair, it would be a combination of both SAFETY and LIABILITY, wouldn't it?
Hah. Don't be fair. After all he is a dealer. ;)

Cheers
Surely you can't be saying ALL dealers are evil?
 
Most of my riding group are old guys, but we all go pretty fast and like our tires to last longer than the super-soft compounds in pure sport tires. Many of us have gravitated to Michelin sport-touring tires after trying many others. Of all the Michelin sport-touring tires recently used, the Pilot Road 3 tires are liked the least. Both Pilot Road 2 and Pilot Road 4 tires are well liked. Pilot Road 4 tires are not made in sizes for the CB1100. I am looking if any suppliers still have the Pilot Road 2's available.

Road Smarts also seem to work well.

The premium sport-touring tires seem to last longer and maintain their tread shape longer than the stock tires.

The Bridgestones on my CB1100 have worked fine, but I will probably switch to the Michelins or Roadsmarts and install a slight wider 150 or 160 rear.
 
Hi folks,

Checking in from Singapore
I just got a pure owned 2011 CB1100
It's still on stock tyres 0610 manufactured in 2010
Really need to change the tyres but search for 140/70 is futile
Only can find 160/60 Angel GT.
No option to change rim too
This thread is useful
I may hv no choice but to see if 160/60 can fit

Chung
 
I think the PR3 is the tire Empty Sea is running as well and I don't remember him saying anything about grinding the foot on his centerstand. Hopefully he will see this and chime in.
 
I am also researching tyres to replace the now discontinued original Dunlops fitted to my bike.

As already reported by other Aussies no brand of radial is available here in radial and in the OEM size.

I recall one of our Euro colleagues reported some alternative sizes are approved in Europe. After trawling each brands website for application charts only Pirelli and Bridgestone have a recommended tyre for the CB1100.

Pirelli Sport Demons in the OEM size. Not radials?

Bridgestone Europe has 3 tyres. BT 54 in OEM size, T30 and BT 023 with the 160/60 rear. This is interesting as other Bridgestone global sites dont offer this selection.

My main concern is compliance and liability for insurance. Honda does not specify alternative sizes or non radial construction so in theory an injury or accident claim could be rejected or at least disputed. FYI I have seen this happen with wheel and tyre changes on cars here. No engineers certificate for non standard modification leaves owners exposed.

I am considering approaching Honda Australia for advice. By law they have responsibility to maintain availability of service parts for vehicles for a minimum period of 7 years. Tyres are a service item and the vehicle importer is ultimately responsible for coordinating supply with tyre distributors.
 
I find it quite annoying that Honda brings out a new bike in 2014, the EX, which is delivered with a tire D205 that is discontinued. To top things off, for the EX rim they do not propose any other alternative. With all the work that went in to designing the CB1100 EX, they should have spent also a little bit of time getting a proper tire for it too.

At this point, I have no idea what to put on it when I must replace the D205. It seems I will have to take a tubeless tire and put tubes in it, something that is really not recommended.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I think the PR3 is the tire Empty Sea is running as well and I don't remember him saying anything about grinding the foot on his centerstand. Hopefully he will see this and chime in.
BELOW FROM PREVIOUS THREAD Michelins Fitted

My Bridgestone BT45 bias ply tyres (standard size) were stuffed and needed replacement. I had done approximately 16000kms on the Bridgestones. After some research, I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3s, 110/80/18F and 160/60/18R. I liked the reviews of these tyres and, I have to say, reading CIP57’s post also influenced me. I removed the wheels at home and took them to the tyre supplier. The supplier removed the Bridgies, fitted the Michelins and balanced the wheels. On inspection the rear brake pads were worn to the indicators and the fronts were only just OK. This was after 33300kms total. While the wheels were off was a good time to replace the pads so I did that.
I fitted sintered pads to the front and organic to the rear. I am heavy footed enough to make me cautious when applying rear brake while modulating sintered on the front is not a problem.

Thought I would show some photos:

Last Blast, wheels off, waiting for new shoes and stoppers. Older cousin in the background.
[url=http://s847.photobucket.com/user/tonys_mail/media/tonys_mail/Fitting%20Michelins/IMG_0145_zps4720ec64.jpg.html]


After fitting the pads and new tyres I was concerned with the clearance between the rear tyre (now 160/60) and the right side foot of the centerstand. With the 140/70 standard tyre the clearance is approximately 12.5mm (.5in). This was now reduced to about 7mm. Probably enough. But not enough to remove images in my overactive imagination of the rear tyre, at high speed, contacting the centerstand and bringing it down. Could be nasty. I thought about bending the right side of the stand out. There is not a lot of length between the foot and centerstand cross brace so a substantial bend would be required over a short distance. I then decided to remove the centerstand and cut the inside of the foot down to achieve at least a 12mm clearance.

Foot after surgery and a squirt of Kill-rust black paint.
[url=http://s847.photobucket.com/user/tonys_mail/media/tonys_mail/Fitting%20Michelins/IMG_0396_zps17adf5d5.jpg.html]

Centerstand back in place. The clearance is now about 17mm. Imagination now at rest.

[url=http://s847.photobucket.com/user/tonys_mail/media/tonys_mail/Fitting%20Michelins/IMG_0404_zps88a3019b.jpg.html]

Removing the centerstand is easily done, a pinch of the proverbial possum’s pooh as they say (at least here in OZ they say that). I refitted the centerstand but did have an “issue”. Replacing the main spring and the sub spring proved not to be a pinch of the proverbial, to say the least. The sub spring sits inside the main spring and that’s how they both came off, together. Surely they go on together. Well, not quite. After about 30mins the floor below the bike was littered with various pliers, screwdrivers and even a hammer. The air was blue with my expletives. I do have a set of brake spring pliers, which may have done the job, but I couldn’t find them. Fitting the sub spring, located inside the main spring, was easy. The main spring not so, as the sub spring inhibited twisting and extending the main spring, and really did not want to stay in place while I attempted to fit the main spring. Bugger! I decided a beer was required to calm me down and lubricate the thought processes. It worked. Going back to the job I had a Eureka moment. Clamp the top of the main spring to the pivot post; fit the main spring using a suitable lever. I used a sturdy phillips head screwdriver. Then insert the sub spring inside the main spring with the upper end inboard of the clamped main spring and then pull down and attach at the bottom. Like a lot of things in life, once you have done it, you know how to do it.

Anyway, all back together and time to bed in the brake pads and get the shine off the tyres. I decided to ride to the Grey Gum Café on the Putty Road to the north west of Sydney. About a 306km ride, return. I wont go into the details of the ride too much except to say that the initial 40km was on freeway so that by spacing between blocks of cars I had the brakes well and truly bedded and the tyres warm before getting on the Putty Road. The Putty Road has lots of tight twisties, sweepers and some straight. Ideal for the job. In a Seat Time post Cormanus has given some good detail on this road and a photo of the Grey Gum Cafe. The tyres were good by the time I had a fish burger washed down by a coffee at the Grey Gum. On the run back I gave the Michelins a good workout. I was impressed. I had the strong impression they were smooth and very sticky. Got up some good lean angles. Felt good.

Here are a couple of photos of Last Blast with new boots:
[url=http://s847.photobucket.com/user/tonys_mail/media/tonys_mail/Fitting%20Michelins/IMG_0402_zps092cf91a.jpg.html]

[url=http://s847.photobucket.com/user/tonys_mail/media/tonys_mail/Fitting%20Michelins/IMG_0398_zps29339487.jpg.html]


Cheers
 
Back
Top