Thinking about a wider rear tire

DAC_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
Right after I got the bike a guy was checking it out in front of Cycle Gear. He said it would look better with a 180 or 200 rear.at tire. Frankly I think he missed the point of the bike altogether. Its not supposed to be a super-sport.
This.
This.
+1
 



tire size as can be seen on the pic: 160/60
Kineo rim, assumably the only one available for the CB1100, a 4.25.


It give the rear a little bit more bulk, but nothing extreme or crazy as some call it here.
 
[/QUOTE]Again, we see people desperate to revert our bikes to a modern bike.[/QUOTE]

Ummm... my 2013 CB1100 is a modern bike...

In this old man's opinion, I think it's great to see people modifying and changing their bikes. Keep it up!
 
Again, we see people desperate to revert our bikes to a modern bike.[/QUOTE]

Ummm... my 2013 CB1100 is a modern bike...

In this old man's opinion, I think it's great to see people modifying and changing their bikes. Keep it up!
[/QUOTE]
Sure, but if it's unsafe, I'll sound off. There's a right way and wrong way to go about changing to a wider tire. I went with one size up, the 150/70, which is approved by Bridgestone for the CB1100's rim size. Larger than that, we'll be changing the tire profile in a way that adversely affects handling. Moreover, the narrow rim is going to pinch the tire anyway, disallowing it's full width and proper performance.

We want to widen the rim to match the manufacturer's design specifications. Looking at the swingarm, I don't think anything more than a 160 could fit anyhow.
 
Again, we see people desperate to revert our bikes to a modern bike.[/QUOTE]

Ummm... my 2013 CB1100 is a modern bike...

In this old man's opinion, I think it's great to see people modifying and changing their bikes. Keep it up!
[/QUOTE]
Ummm... my 2013 CB1100 is a modern bike...

In this old man's opinion, I think it's great to see people modifying and changing their bikes. Keep it up!

I couldn't agree more.

Really, this mans opinion is more radical than the modification discussed in this thread! LOL

The ppl here are just wondering about a wider rear tire, thats all.
I myself was wondering about a 160 rear, thats only 20 more than stock.
Its not like we are talking about a 180 or some fat dragster bike.

I repeat, there is nothing radical, extreme or crazy about considering a tire at that is a little bit wider than stock.

To the critics I ask, where is the limit for you to decide wich mod is good enough in your opinion and wich mod is considered extreme?

Tbh, I find the latest comments, witness of arrogance.
The start of this thread and those who are interested in this mod, me included, just want info about the possibilities, nothing more.
But the last few comments are waaay off topic and dont help anybody.

And for those who forgot, the CB1100 is a modern bike, with a classic look.
That doenst change the fact its still a modern bike.
But I dont read you guys critiquing Honda for giving the CB1100 an electric starter, fuel injection, digital information, dual disc front brakes, rear disc brakes, abs, linked abs, tubless tires, etc!

I can understand that comments that a wider than stock tire could change the handling, but the last few commants sound very judgmental, especially the one about changing it to a modern bike is ridiculous, the CB1100 being a modern bike to start with :rolleyes:

That said, can we continue in the spirit of good collegues and CB1100 lovers and pick up the discussion where we left it (not that there was any feedback or relevant comment about it, buy hey, I keep hoping) with these wider rear tire

Riko_imp said:
tire size as can be seen on the pic: 160/60
Kineo rim, assumably the only one available for the CB1100, a 4.25.


It give the rear a little bit more bulk, but nothing extreme or crazy as some call it here.
Red Mist_imp said:
Again, we see people desperate to revert our bikes to a modern bike.

Ummm... my 2013 CB1100 is a modern bike...

In this old man's opinion, I think it's great to see people modifying and changing their bikes. Keep it up!
[/QUOTE]
Sure, but if it's unsafe, I'll sound off. There's a right way and wrong way to go about changing to a wider tire. I went with one size up, the 150/70, which is approved by Bridgestone for the CB1100's rim size. Larger than that, we'll be changing the tire profile in a way that adversely affects handling. Moreover, the narrow rim is going to pinch the tire anyway, disallowing it's full width and proper performance.

We want to widen the rim to match the manufacturer's design specifications. Looking at the swingarm, I don't think anything more than a 160 could fit anyhow.
[/QUOTE]
can it be safe to say that if you put a 150/70 on the stock rim wich is 4.00
that a 160/60 would be safe on a 4.25 rim?

A rim wich is made especially for the CB1100 from Kineo by the way...see the 2 pics above. Got them from autoscout, 2nd hand CB from France
 
Riko as I read this thread that is exactly what was being said, there is a right way to go with a bigger tire and a wrong way. The right way is to get a wider rim. The wrong way is to shoehorn too big of a tire onto a too narrow of a rim. At least that's how I read it.

To the best of my knowledge, on this forum, only Red Mist has tried a tire larger than the stock specified tire, so he is the only one that can speak with you on an experience basis.
 
yetanotherGerman_imp said:
You could also consider the classic BT 45 as it is available in the right dimensions. It is however NOT recommended by Bridgestone, so you'd run on your own risk.
The BT45 is a bias ply tire which is (I asked Bridgestone and got it as reply) totally NOT recommended for use on the CB 1100. :(
Meanwhile my dealer mounted Pirelli Sport Demons on my CB 1100 (both tires had enough profile left for another 6.000 km, but the front tire showed an extreme and unacceptable sawtooth pattern.

My first impressions after 600 km:
(+) The tires get faster and slightly higher warmed up which helps having a good grip.
(+) The tire falls much easier into the curve than my Dunlops. In the beginning it was a bit surprising, now I am used to it. They are more agile.
(+) Nonetheless, running straight forward (even with higher speed) is still stable.
(+) Correcting the drive line in curves needs a bit more "hands on" compared to my Dunnies.
(o) The profile design looks even a bit too modern :D for a classic bike like the CB 1100.
(o) No difference in grip compared to the Dunlops on dry road. (Wet roads not tested so far.)
(-) The Pirellis are a bit harder (or have stiffer flanks) so they are a bit less comfortable than my Dunnies. Maybe I will reduce tire pressure by 0,1 or 0,2 bar.
(-) The tires follow a bit more road ruts or markings.
 
That's interesting, Pterodactyl. I just replaced my Dunlops with BT45s which the tyre dealer had in stock. So far so good.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
That's interesting, Pterodactyl. I just replaced my Dunlops with BT45s which the tyre dealer had in stock. So far so good.
I had a good run with the BT45s, particularly wear, but they do exhibit bias ply characteristics. I preferred them to the D205s that were fitted on delivery. The Hay Plains flattened my rear tyre off so time for a change. Am now reading the "On the fence" tyre thread. Worse than oil threads!!

Cheers
"Special order" means freight, $50. Probably from Brisbane.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
That's interesting, Pterodactyl. I just replaced my Dunlops with BT45s which the tyre dealer had in stock. So far so good.
I had a good run with the BT45s, particularly wear, but they do exhibit bias ply characteristics. I preferred them to the D205s that were fitted on delivery. The Hay Plains flattened my rear tyre off so time for a change. Am now reading the "On the fence" tyre thread. Worse than oil threads!!

Cheers
"Special order" means freight, $50. Probably from Brisbane.

:rofl: hardly

Fact is, the manufacture has very highly educated engineers. The very highly educated engineers design the bike. The very highly educated engineers who designed the bike, specify which tires we should run on the bike they designed

BUT... we know better.........

You're right..it IS like an oil thread. :rolleyes:
 
ingobohn_imp said:
yetanotherGerman_imp said:
You could also consider the classic BT 45 as it is available in the right dimensions. It is however NOT recommended by Bridgestone, so you'd run on your own risk.
The BT45 is a bias ply tire which is (I asked Bridgestone and got it as reply) totally NOT recommended for use on the CB 1100. :(
Meanwhile my dealer mounted Pirelli Sport Demons on my CB 1100 (both tires had enough profile left for another 6.000 km, but the front tire showed an extreme and unacceptable sawtooth pattern.

My first impressions after 600 km:
(+) The tires get faster and slightly higher warmed up which helps having a good grip.
(+) The tire falls much easier into the curve than my Dunlops. In the beginning it was a bit surprising, now I am used to it. They are more agile.
(+) Nonetheless, running straight forward (even with higher speed) is still stable.
(+) Correcting the drive line in curves needs a bit more "hands on" compared to my Dunnies.
(o) The profile design looks even a bit too modern :D for a classic bike like the CB 1100.
(o) No difference in grip compared to the Dunlops on dry road. (Wet roads not tested so far.)
(-) The Pirellis are a bit harder (or have stiffer flanks) so they are a bit less comfortable than my Dunnies. Maybe I will reduce tire pressure by 0,1 or 0,2 bar.
(-) The tires follow a bit more road ruts or markings.
After now approx. 1000 km with the Sport Demon, I still did not completely get used to this very agile way of falling into the curves. I played around a bit with different tire pressures (lower/higher) but this did not work out.

What I did: I changed the pre-load of the rear suspension 1 setting softer (now on "2", before it was on "3"). The factory setup is "2" but I changed it after the run-in period to "3" because the whole bike was a bit more precise in handling then. The higher pre-load put more pressure on the front fork/wheel which helped a bit. But it seems that the Pirelli Sport Demon do not like this higher pressure. After setting it to "2" and doing a test ride, I was completely surprised how much better it is now. :hello: I did not expect that this would really have such a significant impact...
 
Today, it was my first ride with the Pirelli Sport Demon on wet roads ("normal" rain). To make a long story short: no, the Pirellis do not have as much grip on wet roads as my former Dunlops D205. In one 90° turn with approx. 40 km/h speed, the front tire started skidding a bit - it was not dramatic as skidding started slowly not abruptly so I was able to intercept.

Wet grip together with the - for me - too agile handling in curves seems that the Dunlop would be the better choice for me and my CB compared to the Pirellis. :(
 
I wanted to add my 2 cents pertaining to the wider rear tire/wheel subject. I'm a big fan of a wider rear tire. I own a Suzuki M109R with a factory 240 rear tire. It's very fat and looks great. I also own a '13 CB1100 and had a sportbike until a couple weeks ago. With that said, the big rear tire definitely changes the handling of the bike. Even though Suzuki designed the M109R with the 240 rear, it is definitely different when turning with such a big rear tire and it's very noticeable. I'm sure they spent countless hours getting the geometry correct so it was rideable by the masses. I give them many props on the 240 setup. The factory did the 240 mod, so any time we decide to change our bike from the stock riding geometry, it's going to have some affects. We have to do our homework.

I say to each his/her own. There are certain things that I'll do to my bikes that some may not agree with and others may do things to their bikes that I wouldn't agree with. The cool thing is that we all have our bikes modded the way we like them. I won't knock anyone for how they personalize their bike because it's their bike not mine and quite frankly none of my business.

I personally want to put a sportbike 180 tire on my CB and am looking at how I can do that. I already know the handling will be affected and that I'll have to make some mods and I'm ok with that. Someone may say I could just go buy another bike with a 180 tire already on it. The thing is, I don't want another bike with the 180, I want the CB1100 with the 180 on it. I could understand someone's concern if it was the last CB on the planet but there are tons of them out there and people are buying the heck out of them. There are lots of them that will remain stock and tucked away in garages, living rooms, etc. The best thing I can do is research as much as possible and make sure I'm not doing anything unsafe because that's the stopping point for me. Another would be if it gets too involved or stupid expensive. One of the things I'm anal about is doing a ton of research before I jump into a mod. We all love bikes and our CB's. Let's just enjoy them. I say Mod away! Just be safe doing it.
 
I'm finding the Michelin PR3 160 rear/110 front combination a pleasure to ride on. The Michelins have now done 900kms on all road types; highway, country road, straights and twisties, wet and dry. They work well both with a solo rider and a considerable load on the rack. I realise it is subjective of me but I am certain handling is better than the Dunlop 205s or Bridgestone BT45s I have used previously.

Cheers
 
Back
Top