Thinking about a wider rear tire

Jim21680_imp said:
This probably isn't true, but I would hope any good service shop would refuse to mount a 180 tire on a 4" rim. I wouldn't even risk a 160. Now, if going to a 150 gave me better or more diverse tire options, that's definitely something I would consider (sadly, it doesn't :( ). But I would be really weary about going over a +10 on the tire width. Good luck to you Sil, keep us posted about what you decide, and how it works out.
Think about this and then take a good look at TOO MANY of the imports running around on wheels and tires that shouldn't even be in the same zip code with one another, let alone mounted to each other and then postulate the chances of someone mounting the incorrect tire on a too narrow/wide of a rim for it. There are stupid people out there and unfortunately they walk among us.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for looking out for me guys. There is a bunch i do not know about tires obviously.
FUZZY_imp said:
My service manager said going up 1 size is all that's recommended. When I wear this one out that's what I'll do.
I may do exactly this when it's time to change
 
I have a BT-45 Radial 150/70/R18 and it fit perfectly.
not much more room to clear the swing arm pivot
but plenty around fender. Would not go any wider.
 
Two of the reviews I read on the CB commented on how flickable the bike is with these tire sizes compared to supersports with 180/200s. I noticed in a few hundred miles that I had no "chicken strips" on the rear, and very narrow ones up front. That's tough to do in South Florida....the land of flat and straight roads.
 
150 is the max one should go IMHO , anymore and the bike would lose its aesthetic appeal on what it should reflect..apart from all the technicalities around it... Going too wide would change the statement the bike makes, but hey everybody has their own statement to convey as well ... :D.. Beauty always lies in the eye of the beholder...
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Two of the reviews I read on the CB commented on how flickable the bike is with these tire sizes compared to supersports with 180/200s. I noticed in a few hundred miles that I had no "chicken strips" on the rear, and very narrow ones up front. That's tough to do in South Florida....the land of flat and straight roads.
Spaceman,

That's pretty good. I still have close to 3/8" wide chicken strips on the front, and I got them that "small" by playing around in parking lots.

I used to grind down the peg feelers on my Bonneville, but that was kid's play. I don't think I've come close or ever will come close to touching peg feelers on the CB.
 
A 160/60-18 rear tyre is officially recommended by Bridgestone in Germany as a possible replacement of the original 140/70-18 BT54.
Note the 160 is a /60(per cent of the width) whilst the 140 is a /70 so the outer diameter will be similar.
They have two different versions of sport touring tyres (brand new Battlax T30 and few years old BT-023 model) which can also be combined.
See the pdf here, sorry the text is in German but the basics (standard rims and tyre sizes) are clear anyway: http://moto.bridgestone.de/~/media/Files/Motorcycle/Homologation/Honda/CB1100_SC65.ashx
 
I would not recommend to use wider rear tires, you simply lose too much agility. And that's what I basically like at the CB 1100: it is a compact and very agile bike.

EDIT:
The problem here in Germany is that you have not much choice of tires for your CB 1100 (if you do not go for wider ones):
- Dunlop Sportmax D205 (one of the two stock tires)
- Bridgestone BT54 (the other one - but very old tire model)
- Pirelli Sport Demon

When my tires are used up, I will first try the Bridgestone tires. Unfortunately, my bike was shipped with Dunlops, and as far as I understood these tires are worse compared to the Bridgestones.
 
You could also consider the classic BT 45 as it is available in the right dimensions. It is however NOT recommended by Bridgestone, so you'd run on your own risk.
 
So it is no option for me because if the police controls me, I am riding without technical permission and therefore also without insurance and without driving license. :( That gets very expensive, including a driving ban.
 
Not necessarily true. As the CB 1100 has no mandatory tyre brand or name in the registration documents all they (can) control is the tyre dimensions. Will be OK.
The whole thing is a purely German topic by the way - my Dutch colleagues use any tyres that will fit their bikes.
(Still I'd also rather use tyres which have been tested on the bike, and recommended by the manufacturer.)
 
yetanotherGerman_imp said:
Not necessarily true. As the CB 1100 has no mandatory tyre brand or name in the registration documents all they (can) control is the tyre dimensions. Will be OK.
The whole thing is a purely German topic by the way - my Dutch colleagues use any tyres that will fit their bikes.
(Still I'd also rather use tyres which have been tested on the bike, and recommended by the manufacturer.)
Well, some say so ... and some not. My father is police man, and he says that for bikes there is a general ("fuzzy") regulation that tires must have an official "permit" (Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung) either from the bicycle manufacturer or the tire manufacturer. It is true that the general "tire binding" or even restrictions to a single tire type and model are obsolete. But just having the right dimensions, speed index and load index is not enough ... especially when it comes to an accident and police and insurance need a scapegoat. :(
And I do not want to try that out...

For example: My old Transalp was shipped with stock tires from Metzeler (Tourance) but nevertheless in a special "U" modification (reinforced). If you use the same tire without U, you drive without technical "OK" form Honda. I called Metzeler in Munich and they confirmed that the "U" model was specifically made for and requested from Honda for the Transalp.
 
Keep in mind that if you widen the rear without lowering its profile, you will decrease turn-in capability. This has been implied, but no one has stated is explicitly and wanted to make sure the OP knew.

For myself, I find the stock tire/size adequate. It will do 90+mph sweepers with no problems, assuming you've got your front and rear preload set correctly (the front is as finicky as a half-turn between shake and no shake). I road up to Tortilla Flat a couple of weeks ago with the pillion onboard and was making a "brisk pace" through the twisties without a peep from the stock tires (can't say the same about the pillion, lol).
 
....and the pillion, resurface required? :rolleyes:
SCNR

Indeed if you want to use a 160 instead of the stock 140 it will be wide and flat in comparison as mentioned above, it is 160/60 where the stock tyres are 140/70 so while the shape of the tyre will be different, the outer diameter will be similar.
Thus, for the same speed in corners more lean angle is needed, and with the wide and low tyre your ride comfort is likely somewhat worse than with stock tyres.
 
I was surprised at how well the stock tires felt on my bike up at Deals Gap. I scrapped the foot peg fellers around several of the corners up there. Not sure I see a need for a change, unless you are going for a specific look.
 
A Dunlop road smart 150/70/18 works very nicely and wears well its scope in rim size is 4 to 4 1/2 rim
A 160 is to big for that size rim it requires 4 1/2 rim minimum
 
anybody considered this?
http://www.motobike-parts24.de/prod..._kineo-speichenfelgen-honda-cb1100f-2013.html

Kineo sells state of the art spoked wheels, with killer looks, tons of color customisation options, ultry light and most importantly enlarged sized 4.25 rear rim.

I always assumed a 4.25 rim can handle a 160 tire perfectly.

And as stated before by yetanotherGerman, a 160/60 18" has the same diameter as the stock rear tire:
140/70-R18 vs 160/60-R18 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World


This is based on many info I see about the same Kineo products for a Triumph modern classic bike (such as the Bonneville and Thruxton)
Many state the 425 rim goes perfectly with a 160 tire....
Bottom of this page for example (its in german): http://www.classicbike-raisch.de/html/rad_fussrasten.html
"und hinten 4,25x17inch für Reifen 160-17inch"

I've mailed a few dealers that sell Kineo and asked about the rim-tire combo, I'll update as soon as I get respons about this.

edit: some Triumph Thruxton owners who have 160 rear tires mounted on 4.25 rims
What size rims can I go to

Fat Ass Thruxton

So I dont believe a 4.50 rim is the minimum width for a 160 tire.
I'd be happy to get some pro input about this, but it seems to me that a 160 tire and a 4.25 rim go together perfectly.
 
Back
Top