"There's a road I'd like to tell you about...

Thread starter
It wasn't that fast, but remember that I am very familiar with the road and had the benefit of you guys clearing the way for me. Most times that I ride that section, I turn around and ride back. Sometimes I repeat that 3 or 4 times. :)
 
Elipten_imp said:
Great ride, great write up. I'm thinking you lads need a weekend trip to Door County or the UP. Wish I could have joined you.

Driving Rt 41 from north to south is on the bucket ride list.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I really like the idea of a Door County trip Elipten. That would be a beautiful ride in the fall with the leaves turning... :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
I love riding in Wisconsin and hope to get up to Door County on the bikes next year. Southwest Wisconsin, though, has some fantastic roads, too. We just got back from there as the last part of our ride to the Ozarks (yes, Cormanus, the report is in the works. :) ) and we're heading back that way this weekend -- We leave for Spring Green tomorrow. CA200 and Ole have great insights into where to ride in this part of Wisconsin. If we're going to put together a day ride in that area, count me in!
 
A day ride for SW WI or Door County? Door County seems kind of far for a day tripper, right?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
 
Yes, I think Door county would be an over-nighter. But EmptySea is right, there are a lot of great rides in Southern WI as well. Holy Hill for example...
 
Thanks for all the effort EmptySea. I still can't get over how great those over the shoulder shots turned out :-) Also, out here in the Western Burbs, I'd love to hear of a similar road to your Ravines. I tend to head out to Campton Hill Rd (in Camton Hill) or McDonald Rd a couple of miles north. Nothing as curvy but nice long stretches of canopy road and some elevation change with minimal stops. Beyond that, everything is pretty much flat farmland.
 
veech_imp said:
Yes, I think Door county would be an over-nighter. But EmptySea is right, there are a lot of great rides in Southern WI as well. Holy Hill for example...
Do I foresee a potential trip in the making??
 
Thread starter
Motoblot Addendum

After a nice breakfast with barely a red-versus-green quip tossed, I headed back to Sheridan Rd.; my Honda comfortably centered in line between the two Kawasakis

Kelly took point on her Ninja...
41a95c699fd213ba81cae47102204ebc.jpg


Bill secured our rear flank...
276662b7321ef5f1d7ec8087093bb55b.jpg


Motoblot is billed as a vintage bike and hot rod urban street rally. This would be the rally's second year, although it was preceded by the virtually identical Mods v. Rockers event which ran for several years at a different location. The new venue is on Fulton St. in front of The Cobra Lounge. "1600 west and about 200 north" in Chicago-speak which translates to "16 city blocks west of State Street and about 2 city blocks north of Madison" (Chicago's street numbering system starts at the intersection of State and Madison, which could be theoretically becalled "0 north and 0 west"). For perspective, when our LSD group exited the city and entered Evanston, we were at 7800 north and 1400 west. Field Museum, our starting point, is at about 1300 south and 400 east.

All of this is to say that we would be riding into the city almost as far as I had ridden out of it earlier in the morning. We decided on a fairly straight route south: Sheridan Rd. into Evanston, jog a little west to Ridge Ave. into Chicago then another jog west to Western Ave., which would be a straight shot to the rally.

Western Avenue is the longest continuous street in Chicago and it felt like it on this day. A beautiful sunny day as described earlier, it brought out every grocery-shopping, errand-running, event-going person in the area. It was a beautiful day, but my new Joe Rocket jacket looks better than it breathes so I was pretty toasty.

I figured out why my riding companions wanted to take Western - Don't want to get too far from a repair facility :banana:...
90827ac1103ed564b6c1e3242b5c95ad.jpg


Under the "L" on Lake Street and feeling a bit like Mannix...
9d50c17ed71af930fa62de79407e26c3.jpg


Motoblot is pretty cool. Good music, lots of bikes, great people watching.

Note that you can see some of the same buildings we saw earlier in the background, this time from the west. Good sized crowd, but everyone was having a good time...
b41fd6f8c37f0bc7c3a1564b6fa95ca5.jpg


Turns out that the guy with the CB1000 lives like 2 miles from me. We had a nice conversation as I was gearing up to head home. He and his buddies had a myriad of
questions about the CB1100...
c2bf513b279ad6b1c8d6c4acf1392336.jpg


Some of the cars and bikes that caught my eye...
5c41b51f99bae3ca2b36584f2ab76636.jpg

9d2b2c4320918c3a85bafa4c903aa969.jpg

e9bce420e00df3487d2df9f5328ab4cc.jpg

320f3c221a7a1876a1aa305987d879b0.jpg


We had a great time at Motoblot and it's always fun to ride with Bill and Kelly. Rode home solo, took a brief nap, then went to a party with my usual riding companions. A truly memorable day. :)
644c567082746a52eb2862d7b73828bb.jpg
 
I didn't know Motoblot was right by Cobra Lounge! I used to go there all the time, but not for the cars or bikes...
 
Awesome report Sea! What an interesting place to ride. Glad everyone had a good time, and a safe ride.

with regards to the Motoblot pics:

way too many people for me lol.

The tressle pics reminds me of a scene from the French Connection with Gene Hackman as Popeye Doyle (although that film took place in new York iirc)

and notice the levers on the CB 200T? They match yours ;)

oh and the Chevelle is awesome.
 
Great pictures and write up. The Motoblot event looks fun. I couldn't ride Saturday morning with you guys but was half tempted to run up to Motoblot in the afternoon. Anyhow thanks for the hard work in posting these pictures and the write up.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Awesome report Sea! What an interesting place to ride. Glad everyone had a good time, and a safe ride.

with regards to the Motoblot pics:

way too many people for me lol.

The tressle pics reminds me of a scene from the French Connection with Gene Hackman as Popeye Doyle (although that film took place in new York iirc)

and notice the levers on the CB 200T? They match yours ;)

oh and the Chevelle is awesome.
I KNEW that you'd say it was too crowded. LOL

I was going to reference French Connection and, yes, it was set in NYC. Mannix was set in L.A., but I went with it because it was more obscure. LOL

RLETs are the tiny little bridges that connect us to the past.

:)

Thanks for the kind words about this post...and when are you coming to Chicago?
 
May be coming in the truck with my wife. I showed her your pics and now she wants to come. Too far for her to ride anymore. Although... I could tow my bike to Chicago... she can do 50 or 60 miles on the bike hmmm

Honestly before seeing your pics I'd do anything NOT to drive anywhere near Chicago.
 
I can do that.

Is there a time frame when all the regular Chicagoans go out of town leaving the streets deserted?
 
It's quite the happening place, Chicago. And full of punsters as well.

Thanks for finishing off the day ES. Another great report and more great pictures.
 
Back
Top